Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Anyone here play any of the Civilization games? Which edition do you play?

My favorite Civ game is definitely III, I've put more time into that game than is good for me... IV was pretty good too, but the 3D graphics were a negative because I would play Civ on my work computer which wasn't very powerful. Played V for a bit and couldn't get into it, same with VI. Civ III is one of the few reasons I used a Windows computer during the late 2000s-early 2010s. I probably would've sold my boxes if I wasn't playing still. Sadly they got rid of Rosetta so I had no way to play III on my Macs, and still to this day on macOS Sierra I can't play it.

Reactions: Kultowe

Soccer5se

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
South Korea
I play CIV V. I was able to get a really great deal on the base game and all the expansions. I think I paid around $12. I am looking at CIV VI now because it's on sale as well.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I got 1000+ hours in CivIV, and about 200+ hours in CivVI (And who knows how many hours in Civ I, II and III).. I quite enjoy VI, so I will likely transition to it long term, since IV is 32 bit only, and the expansions for VI are supposedly quite good. But IV is my chosen one so far.

Never got into V, it just didn't hook me.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I played it and enjoyed it through Civilization III. I also liked Age of Empires I through III. Then I played Rome Total War and got the game I'd really wanted all this time. I just couldn't get into Civilization or AoE again after that. Tried out Civ IV and V. But never got into them.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I admit to still being partial to Civ II and liking it better than newer versions I've played.

A PowerMac G4 running OS 9, or a Titanium PowerBook(with a USB numeric keypad) are my preferred ways to play it, although I've also played it on my main MBP in Windows XP/VMWare.

I started playing Civ II as a kid, and even though I've played III and IV, still come back to it as my favorite.

Reactions: InAWhiteRoom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.