Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wisevot1900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Romania
Hy.I'm new to world of MAC.I just bought a Macbook Pro 13' Mid 2010 (A1278) without HDD , RAM and battery.After I installed the HDD (new) and RAM (100% OK with Memtest) I tried to install Mac OS Lion (to update later) to verify the laptops functionality.
Both Internet Recovery and DVD Install are getting stuck before any installation options appear.Both left all night to see if it continues but no luck.Tried to install Ubuntu , and Internet Recovery , same thing.The laptop doesn't have a battery but it starts perfectly.The keyboard backlight doesn't work but I don't think that's the reason it stalls.
I think there is a hardware problem but I can't find it.Apple Hardware Test doesn't work.Command + L doesn't show anything.
If you have any ideea please share it with me.Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7679.JPG
    IMG_7679.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 877
  • IMG_7680.JPG
    IMG_7680.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 391

ThatGrimshaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
Have you reset the SMC and cleared the PRAM? That may be a good place to start.

PRAM reset: Turn off the computer, turn it back on and immediately press Cmd + Alt/Option + P + R on the keyboard. You'll hear the startup chime when it turns on—keep holding the buttons until the Mac turns off and back on again. You'll hear the chime a second time and then you can let go of the keys.

SMC reset: Turn off the computer. Press Shift + Control + Alt/Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold the keys and the power button for 10 seconds. Restart.

ThatGrimshaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
Hmm. Maybe try booting in verbose mode? Start the computer and press Cmd + V until you hear the chime. Text will flow down the screen and eventually stop—the last few lines of text will tell you what the computer is hanging up on while it tries to load

wisevot1900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Romania
Thanks for your answers.Already tried that , nothing happens.I think I need to have the OS installed in order to start Verbose Mode.

Barry K. Nathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2018
Irvine, CA, USA
Thanks for your answers.Already tried that , nothing happens.I think I need to have the OS installed in order to start Verbose Mode.
I think Verbose Mode should still work when booting off a Lion install DVD.

Anyway, to get Apple Hardware Test via Internet Recovery, hold down Option-D while turning the computer on. (Whenever you're doing anything with Internet Recovery, you're seeing a spinning globe at first, before the Apple logo shows up... right? Also, does the Caps Lock light work on the keyboard?)

Oh, one more thing to try: Boot with the Option key held down. Instead of the Apple logo, there should be this thing that lets you choose which disk to boot from (it might also show a menu for choosing WiFi networks).

If you hold down the Option key when starting up and you still see the Apple logo, then the keyboard is probably disconnected or broken (and if so, then that would prevent the PRAM/SMC resets from working).

wisevot1900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Romania
I tried everything.Verbose Mode works but freezes.Windows or Mac install freezes.Can’t find the hardware problem.I thought it was a temperature issue but after I changed the thermal paste it still freezes.I cleaned the mobo with alcohol and let it dry.I’m giving up..

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hy.I'm new to world of MAC.I just bought a Macbook Pro 13' Mid 2010 (A1278) without HDD , RAM and battery.After I installed the HDD (new) and RAM (100% OK with Memtest) I tried to install Mac OS Lion (to update later) to verify the laptops functionality.
Both Internet Recovery and DVD Install are getting stuck before any installation options appear.Both left all night to see if it continues but no luck.Tried to install Ubuntu , and Internet Recovery , same thing.The laptop doesn't have a battery but it starts perfectly.The keyboard backlight doesn't work but I don't think that's the reason it stalls.
I think there is a hardware problem but I can't find it.Apple Hardware Test doesn't work.Command + L doesn't show anything.
If you have any ideea please share it with me.Thanks.
It's probably the cable that connects the SATA drive to the logic board, but it sounds like you have a computer with lots of hardware issues. Obviously, the screen backlight is failing, and that's not something that would show in a diagnostic. I hope this computer was close to free.
Also, be aware that Apple laptops run at half CPU speed with no battery, so performance will be poor even if you do resolve the boot issues.

wisevot1900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Romania
The laptop freezes with or without dvd-rom or hdd/sata cable.Also left the mobo only with display and it’s getting stuck.The screen conector was changed and the backlight works fine.Tried USB install,same thing.Cleaned ram slots,same thing.At the boot menu it never freezes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.