Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Don_Con

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Alexandria, VA
Hi All,

I recently did an overhaul of my MacPro 5,1 running High Sierra (10.13.16) . This included upgrading the 7+ year old SSD and media HDD to newer, larger versions, upgraded ram, upgraded to dual CPU, etc. I had a 128gb boot SSD for my system/apps only, and then my USER directory was on this separate internal HDD.

I used CarbonCloner to clone the old boot SSD to the newer boot SSD, when then I mounted internally to one of my PCIe Slots. I then copied my USER director from the older HDD over to the new SSD. I went into System Prefs, User&Groups, right clicked user name for advanced, and then gave the new location of my USER directory and rebooted. After doing this, I have run into several annoying issues:

1.) When I tried to run the new boot drive AND the new User Dir location, everything was "reset", my apps all had no settings/prior preferences, desktop was completely back to an original mac setup, and almost having to start from scratch.

2.) I then redirected the computer back to the "old USER directory" on the HDD, and then still booted from the new SSD, and everything is fine technically, but I want to put EVERYTHING on the new SSD moving forward.

3.) Now, I have realized I have permissions issues. Every time I try to change a file name on my new SSD boot drive, I get the following error below:

Screenshot 2019-10-03 08.08.29.png

Things I've tried to date:

1.) Disk Utility, Verify/repair Permissions, both from the GUI interface, and Terminal Command Line, via:

sudo chflags -R nouchg ~
diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

2.) I've tried this command sequence, found on this board:

sudo chflags -R nouchg,nouappnd ~ $TMPDIR.. ; sudo chown -R $UID:staff ~ $_ ; sudo chmod -R

3.) I am unable to boot into any recovery mode for some reason, so I cannot try the resetpsswd terminal command either. Which is an interesting problem to have?

Any thoughts? For reference, my permissions on this new boot drive are set as:

Screenshot 2019-10-03 11.51.12.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-03 08.08.29.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-03 08.08.29.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Don_Con

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Alexandria, VA
I started over since last time I posted, and found a new piece of information that may help.

1.) I am on my original SSD boot drive
2.) I reformatted and deleted everything on my new SSD2 drive
3.) I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone SSD to SSD2
4.) While I am still logged into the same user account (administer) on my original SSD drive, if I try to modify any files on the SSD2 drive I get authentication errors/verify password requests!

So something is going on in the transfer of the files with CarbonCopy or I am not prepping the drive right?

When I simply drag and drop files from SSD1 to SSD2, I have full access to modify with no permissions/password requests.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.