Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faloude

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
So there are three MacBooks in this story.
  • A waterdamage perished macbook air 2015
  • A macbook air 2013 serves to replace the faulty one
  • My macbook pro 2015 running Catalina
I want to clone my 2015 Air SSD to my 2013 Air SSD. This is my game plan
  • Plug my 2015 Air SSD into my Pro via USB using a freakishly expensive adapter
  • Use disk utility on my Pro to create an image from 2015 Air SSD
  • Reboot my Pro into recovery mode -> to Disk Utility
  • Open the 2015 Air image, mount it and unlock it
  • Hook up the 2013 Air SSD to my Pro via USB and erase it to APFS Encrypted
  • Restore 2013 SSD from 2015 SSD image file which is mounted
Disk utility starts to Replicate but eventually errors out to OS Status 49244 (see screenshot). Any ideas?

Additional detail: Both SSD's are the same size (128 GB) but the 2015 one is a Samsung whereas the 2013 one is a SanDisk.

Attachments

• IMG_2815.jpeg
    IMG_2815.jpeg
    868 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

Faloude

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
why not just put the samsung into the 2013 and reboot?
Ah yes forgot to mention in opening post. I get a circle with a diagonal strip through it (forbidden sign) when I try that. I think the 2015 SSD is incompatible with 2013 model but I'm not sure!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
DU restore has this odd quirk where the target drive needs to be a the same or larger size than the source, no matter how much or little data is on the source. So try using DU to shrink the source volume a little to make it smaller than the target volume, then try again.

Also do not format the new target to encrypted. Just format to APFS then once you are booted to that new system turn on FileVault to setup encryption properly.

• Haha
Reactions: autrefois

Faloude

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
Another day, another error message o_O

Firstly, I can't shrink (ie: split partitions) before virtually mounting the drive partition in contrary to what the Apple article instructs.

After mounting I'm able to split the partition into two (shrinking the big one) but it errors out to [see screenshot].

Edit: Also previously I've made an image file from the source drive in read-only format and wasn't able to recover it to the destination drive. I've retried this using a read/write format, resulting in the same error unfortunately.

Attachments

• du-error.jpg
    du-error.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

junkw

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Haifa, Israel

Faloude

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.