Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shimmie

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Dude - you are an absolute legend! This fixed the single most frustrating issue I've ever had. It also explains why searching for text in some apps would launch an application of a similar name! And not to mention popping up print dialogs when I did ⌘-P in some apps (which wasn't print).

THANK YOU!

Killing the dock process and having it restart fixed the problem instantly! :)

CannonX13

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2018
So I've been having the same issue for quite a while. My Mac would be making error sounds when using Cmd-C, Cmd-Z, etc combinations. Rebooting would usually help, but it would usually start on its own after a while. I checked with this thread to see if anything would help, and nothing seemed to help, and I was legit panicking about viruses or something. I think I got the issue right after I updated my system (now have Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.5)

So I figured out today, that at least in my particular case, it's a bug with the Dock application. In fact, when clicking on Launchpad (show all apps) button on my Macbook, it wouldn't open (like open and close instantly). And when I opened it with a hand-gesture, I saw that everything I've been typing has been also typed into the search bar at the top of the Launchpad. Basically, the Launchpad (technically part of the Dock process) for some reason continued 'seeing' all of the keyboard inputs and would sound the error sound when I pressed a combination that wasn't appropriate, like Cmd-C.

An absolute legend - I went to Activity Monitor and cancelled the dock process and it instantly fixed all of my problems. I made an account on this website just to say thank you.

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
I also just made a MacRumors account to thank you, kolobochka, for solving this incredibly frustrating problem for me. Worked like a charm! For those wondering, to "kill" the Dock you can open the Terminal app from the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder. Type in the following and then hit return:
killall Dock
The command is case sensitive. https://appsliced.co/ask/how-do-i-relaunch-the-dock-in-os-x

Thanks for the suggestion, this worked for me too! I had many CMD+C, V, etc functions creating an alert sound, which wasn't there before.

rezden

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2019
You saved my mental health kolobochka, thank you, I created this account for you mate.

Last edited:
Reactions: arn

zsh

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
I had the same problem in Catalina (10.15) and restarting the dock did indeed fix it. Has anyone been able to reproduce this bug?

cacolac323

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
@kolobochka -- the year is 2019, and your post is still so useful. Thank you for this (and the powers of SEO), it had been driving me crazy! (and yes, I created an account just to say thank you)

Jan Furi

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2020
OMGird! Thank you @kolobochka for the dock solution! As well as the cmd-c, etc. alert, it also cured a vexing cmd-space app launch which was opening more than one app, the one I wanted and the one alphabetically before it in the Applications folder; e.g., I launched Firefox through cmd-space-->f-->return and also ended up with Find My.

yamag

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2020
So I've been having the same issue for quite a while. My Mac would be making error sounds when using Cmd-C, Cmd-Z, etc combinations. Rebooting would usually help, but it would usually start on its own after a while. I checked with this thread to see if anything would help, and nothing seemed to help, and I was legit panicking about viruses or something. I think I got the issue right after I updated my system (now have Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.5)

So I figured out today, that at least in my particular case, it's a bug with the Dock application. In fact, when clicking on Launchpad (show all apps) button on my Macbook, it wouldn't open (like open and close instantly). And when I opened it with a hand-gesture, I saw that everything I've been typing has been also typed into the search bar at the top of the Launchpad. Basically, the Launchpad (technically part of the Dock process) for some reason continued 'seeing' all of the keyboard inputs and would sound the error sound when I pressed a combination that wasn't appropriate, like Cmd-C.

I am registering a MacRumor account to say a big thank you!!
It worked like a charm :)

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Interesting that the last few posts were by Macrumors newbies to give thanks on fixing this issue. Well this was driving me nuts for the past couple of days when every time I cmd-w to close a tab (and many other cmd- keyboard shortcuts) it funks at me, on a brand new MacBook Air running Catalina. I was about to restart the OS but did a quick search and took me to this thread. Force closing dock fixed it.

Let me give my thanks to this old thread as well ?

pyrotekniks

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm OCD and ADHD and the error sound happens to me constantly and drives me nuts.

You are a hero among men. A saint. Thank you

Matias Maya

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2020
This thread was amazing!! Thank you @kolobochka for pointing that out. I realized I had seen a few days ago that everything seemed to be written in the launchpad search bar but at the time I didn´t realize it had anything to do with the problem and I completely forgot about that haha!!

sulphur27

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Same here on Big Sur i had the beep while switching tabs in chrome. `Killall Dock` fixes it as well!!! ;)

ipwn17

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2021
Chicago

I made an account to thank you, 4 years after your original post. So.. THANK YOU!!!

Bitternist

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021

Thank you so much! This bug used to drive me insane.

ach9

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2021
Big Sur, 2021, MacBook Pro with M1 chip, the sound was infuriating, every time I copy or wanted to search something (CMD+F) argh! Killing the dock does the job.

hopper22

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2022
Same - just made an account to thank you! This is has been driving me nuts for days!!! Worked perfectly! :) Also, thank you to ankitjain for explaining how to kill the dock - much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.