Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Boot slowness caused by trim on apfs?
Ah, didn't know that was a thing. On SATA?
I have TRIM enabled on Amfeltec with XP941 and SM951 SSDs as well as individual SM951 SSDs in Angelbird Wings and haven't encountered that issue with APFS.
How does it manifest?

Last edited:

hknatm

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2018
I have TRIM enabled on Amfeltec with XP941 and SM951 SSDs as well as individual SM951 SSDs in Angelbird Wings and haven't encountered that issue with APFS.
How does it manifest?

If you enable trim force it boots 20ish seconds late compared to untrimmed version.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
How does it manifest?

That's one of the known bug, even MacBook Pro etc (with stock NVMe) may suffer from this bug.

But it seems the bug is quit random, haven't seen any specific condition to trigger this bug yet. We only know the required factors are APFS + TRIM. All others are unknown.

SATA, PCIe, NVMe doses't really matter.

HS, Mojave, doesn't really matter.

Internal, external also doesn't really matter.

This slow boot bug seems can suddenly show up in any of the above combination.

For me, I hit this bug back in HS, but Mojave fixed it.

For others, this bug suddenly pops up in Mojave.

Reactions: hknatm and Squuiid

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898

These specific third-party graphics cards are Metal-capable and compatible with macOS Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012):
  • MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition
  • NVIDIA Quadro K5000 for Mac
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition

Reactions: kohlson

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
I don't think I do. I've kept this thing around for almost 10 years though. I'm considering just putting any more money into a replacement.

Check eBay for a low priced, unflashed, 2GB GTX 680. You'll then have Metal compatibility and the option to flash the card yourself should you miss having boot screens.

lowendlinux makes a good point also. An RX 480 is a decent card, but without the self-flashing option.

hknatm

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2018
Guys just wanted to ask here cant find propee knowledge online.

Does anyone use this ram?
mt36jsf2g72pz-1g6e1fe Micron 16gb ram

vivavn

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2019
Hello,
Thank you everyone for your contributions.
Using this thread, I upgrade my mac pro 4,1 to 5,1 then put a pair of X5670 (without delidding) in. The connectors of the CPU heatsinks were not all the way in so the fan ran full speed when I turned on the computer I remove the heatsinks and reinstalled them and the fan ran normally when I boot up the computer. However, after using a computer for a while, the fan would run full speed again. The CPU temp is normal (30-40 Celsius), the northbridge temp is between 50-60 degree.

I tried to reset PRAM and SMC but it doesn't fix it.
I did use washers and thermal pad for aux chips.

Any idea what I can try to fix this issue?

Thank you

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
Any idea what I can try to fix this issue?

Thank you

If you are referring to the Intake and Exhaust fans spooling up, then it sounds like the heatsink/fan jumper wiggled loose on the processor tray board (possibly fan vibrations). It should be visible in any fan monitoring software marked possibly with a red 0; this is the best way if you have two CPU's, IMO. If you don't have any installed you can, remove the processor tray and look under your heatsink(s) and determine if the fan jumper is seated or just sitting in the logic board un-plugged.

If it appears seated, sometime a slight tightening of the heatsink seat's it better. This is the scary part about using lidded repurposed Xeon's, I have to deal with it myself. Use your best judgement, and make sure you tighten in a cross/star pattern like changing a tire on a car. If you have something none-conductive you could apply pressure on the backside of the jumper between the heatsink fins to seat it better. I did not use any washers on my upgrade, and am unsure how they affect the install height.

If it's does-not appear seated, you can remove the heatsink and slide the jumper sideways in the heatsink and free it by pulling the jumper out (carefully) and use the short lead available to plug it in into the logic board, and then reseat your processor and heatsink (care-fully). I don't like the risk this way but have read about others success- but do like the fact it guarantee's a seated connection. It definitely requires more steady hands, IMO.

Last edited:

vivavn

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2019
If you are referring to the Intake and Exhaust fans spooling up, then it sounds like the heatsink/fan jumper wiggled loose on the processor tray board (possibly fan vibrations). It should be visible in any fan monitoring software marked possibly with a red 0; this is the best way if you have two CPU's, IMO. If you don't have any installed you can, remove the processor tray and look under your heatsink(s) and determine if the fan jumper is seated or just sitting in the logic board un-plugged.

If it appears seated, sometime a slight tightening of the heatsink seat's it better. This is the scary part about using lidded repurposed Xeon's, I have to deal with it myself. Use your best judgement, and make sure you tighten in a cross/star pattern like changing a tire on a car. If you have something none-conductive you could apply pressure on the backside of the jumper between the heatsink fins to seat it better. I did not use any washers on my upgrade, and am unsure how they affect the install height.

If it's does-not appear seated, you can remove the heatsink and slide the jumper sideways in the heatsink and free it by pulling the jumper out (carefully) and use the short lead available to plug it in into the logic board, and then reseat your processor and heatsink (care-fully). I don't like the risk this way but have read about others success- but do like the fact it guarantee's a seated connection. It definitely requires more steady hands, IMO.

I am not sure if the problem is the connectors. The fan is fine when I boot the computer. It randomly starts running at full speed after the computer is on for a while. Sometimes, it could be minutes or hours.

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
I am not sure if the problem is the connectors. The fan is fine when I boot the computer. It randomly starts running at full speed after the computer is on for a while. Sometimes, it could be minutes or hours.

Which fans are spooling? There are free programs (such as MacsFanControl) available to monitor your system temps and fans. I'd give them a try (or one of the paid ones on free trial); which fans are spooling will direct you towards your problem area.

If temps are fine, then dig deeper (it may be software related)-if there is a obvious sensor getting too hot- look closer at that sensor and area of the logic board.

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
Well since they aren't sure what exactly their problem is- and that's likely their best long-term solution, I was simply attempting to help determine the root cause. A de-lidder can be purchased and is their most economical option, or they could pay for an "upgrade kit". Whatever works for them, you, or me, but it's still all proper if the machine works at the end of the day.

I've ran both in my upgraded MP with no difference in performance, but having them installed correctly/de-lidded is far more comfortable in re-assemble if you take them apart regularly for cleaning (like you should).

Last edited:

vivavn

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2019
I used a paper clip to kind of push the pin on both headsinks down the board. I hope they make better contact now. The issues seem to go away. I have not experienced any problem for the last 2 days.

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
I used a paper clip to kind of push the pin on both headsinks down the board. I hope they make better contact now. The issues seem to go away. I have not experienced any problem for the last 2 days.

Glad you confirmed it was the heatsink jumper-a paperclip is metal and conductive (not my recommendation) and would have been better to use something like a plastic orange peeler (or better yet a jumper tool) so not to damage the jumper wires (if no damage was done, consider yourself lucky/skilled/careful); think about de-lidding for future tear-downs. Sounds like you are good-to-go for now, best luck.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
MP51 10.14.4 E5506 ABTM.png MP51 10.14.4 E5506 CPU string.png

Slowest MP5,1 "upgrade" to date?

It's so slow to start POST that I thought that I bricked my MP5,1.

Note: I did this insane processor change to try to more easily find the 10.14.4 audio stuttering problem.
[doublepost=1555271004][/doublepost]It's this one: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...06-4m-cache-2-13-ghz-4-80-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.