Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Does the speed of USB Type A flash drive (also known as thumb drive if I’m not mistaken), is dependent on the version of the port? Ie if port is 2.0, then no point spend more money to buy a 3.0 flash drive.

1) How do we know the version of the port if it is not stated in the manual?

2) Let say if the port is 2.0, getting a 3.0 flash drive will attain no benefit right?

3) Is the port nowadays still at 2.0?

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Ultimately, the speed of the drive is constrained by the flash memory and controller, especially write speeds.

There are a lot of drives that can boast high read speeds, which USB 3 gives a higher ceiling to, but read the reviews and tests of many of them, and you'll find that their write speeds are disappointing, if not atrocious.

Choosing a USB 3 drive over a USB 2 drive might remove one constraint, but be made moot by the other. But, given the relative cost, and availability of the drives today, there's little reason to seek out the latter. Look for how the drives perform, first.

Apple doesn't color code their ports, but if one looks closely, the extra pins that USB 3 employs can be seen on the "tongue," giving it a sort of serrated-edge look.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I have a Ravpower. A gadget that can slot in a SD card and a flash drive. The purpose is to transfer images fr the SD card to the flash drive for backup on the go, thus eliminating a laptop. Is the flash drive consider Read or Write?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Even if you only have USB2 capabilities on the Mac, it still makes sense to buy USB3 flash drives.
Looking ahead to the future, eh...?

Like any kind of connection, the speeds you get will be determined by "the weakest link in the chain" -- port capability, cable, flash drive, etc.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Even if you only have USB2 capabilities on the Mac, it still makes sense to buy USB3 flash drives.
Looking ahead to the future, eh...?

Like any kind of connection, the speeds you get will be determined by "the weakest link in the chain" -- port capability, cable, flash drive, etc.
I timed an experiment with the Ravpower. The port is USB type A 2.0. Saving a 5GB photos using flash drive 2.0 took 30 mins. But with flash drive 3.0 it took 12mins. Going by the rational the "weakest link in the chain", I'd hv thought 3.0 won't make a diff. It indeed surprised me. I repeated the experiment and got same result, +/- 30 sec. What gives?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.