Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Anybody know how to do this? I have 6.1.2 and will not jailbreak. I set my notifications to alerts instead of banners. I want to drag from the top of the screen and nothing to appear

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Do you mean you don't want the notification centre to appear, or you don't want any notifications to appear in the notification centre? If the latter, just disable notification centre it for all notifications. Turn off weather etc. You will have an empty notification centre.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
To disable the gesture that shows notification center (pul down from top) you will have to jailbreak

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Do you mean you don't want the notification centre to appear, or you don't want any notifications to appear in the notification centre? If the latter, just disable notification centre it for all notifications. Turn off weather etc. You will have an empty notification centre.

Both :)

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
The easiest solution is just to not drag down from the top ( and only solution without a jailbreak)

Seriously this is tantamount to complaining that it hurts when you pinch yourself... just don't do it.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
People have the weirdest requests...

The easiest solution is just to not drag down from the top ( and only solution without a jailbreak)

Seriously this is tantamount to complaining that it hurts when you pinch yourself... just don't do it.

Just because you may not have issue with something doesn't mean it's not an inconvenience for someone else.

It doesn't bother me, but, if there were an option to disable it, I probably would. I never use it and it does occasionally get in the way when scrolling or if I were to play the occasional 'swiping' style game.

Reactions: Avenged110

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
It doesn't make sense to ask this, because if you shut off notifications from every app, notification center is off, unless you swipe from the top. So just, you know, don't swipe from the top.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
It doesn't make sense to ask this, because if you shut off notifications from every app, notification center is off, unless you swipe from the top. So just, you know, don't swipe from the top.

...and the OP is asking for a way to turn the top swipe off.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that different people use things differently? Rather than offer assistance or any sort of recommendations, this thread is full of people either questioning his motive or flat out mocking them.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
...and the OP is asking for a way to turn the top swipe off.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that different people use things differently? Rather than offer assistance or any sort of recommendations, this thread is full of people either questioning his motive or flat out mocking them.

It's been posted already that there is NO WAY OF TURNING IT OFF without jailbreaking.

Maybe people are just interested as to why turning off a gesture that's pretty hard to make accidentally is desirable to the OP? This IS supposed to be a *discussion* forum, after all... not an "ask question, post answer, end thread" forum.

I know I'm pretty curious, because no matter what you say, it IS an unusual request.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
It's been posted already that there is NO WAY OF TURNING IT OFF without jailbreaking.

Maybe people are just interested as to why turning off a gesture that's pretty hard to make accidentally is desirable to the OP? This IS supposed to be a *discussion* forum, after all... not an "ask question, post answer, end thread" forum.

I know I'm pretty curious, because no matter what you say, it IS an unusual request.

Right, and someone asked which tweak to use if Jailbreaked which still hasn't been answered.

Conversely, I've given a few reasons already on why someone would want to get rid of it.

andychelt

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I also would like to get rid of it. I never use it for notifications, if I want weather I'll use an app to see it in detail etc

Now and again I do occasionally bring it down by accident which is kinda annoying and agree with the op it would be much better to just have an option to disable it.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Notification center can be disabled with springtomize. I do. I have no use for it. I use swipe down from the top gestures for activator actions which, to me, are much more useful.

Be sure to drag everything in the 'not in notification center' section in the settings app, since it isn't needed, and it might or might not save some power. Basically, you want the notification center pull-down to be empty.

Wrongdog

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
I would like to do this too, as I often bring the notification center down by accident. Unfortunately, springtomize is a jailbreak app. I'm not sure why it is such an unusual request, as this has been problematic for me on both my iPhone and iPad ever since notification center was added

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
I would like to do this too, as I often bring the notification center down by accident. Unfortunately, springtomize is a jailbreak app. I'm not sure why it is such an unusual request, as this has been problematic for me on both my iPhone and iPad ever since notification center was added

As the thread states on numerous occasions, this cannot be done without a jailbreak. Simple as that. There are no ifs or buts, notification centre cannot be disabled without a jailbreak.

It is an unusual request, otherwise it would be asked more often. The answer would still be the same though.

Just to re-iterate - you cannot disable Notification centre without a jailbreak.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
I agree, it's an annoying feature if you don't want to use it. Unfortunately there is no way to remove it. Turning it off still leaves the blank notification screen there. That's the best you can do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 491

POORDAD

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
This must honestly be one of the worst communities on the internet.

My dad came to me asking how to do it because it was literally preventing him from progressing in his game the way the level was designed.

My search for a solution led me here where all I see is idiots questioning OPs reasoning.

Are you just as blind to the other hundreds of users asking the same question online as you are to the obvious flaws in your "perfect" device?

Posting from an Android because **** Apple and anyone who swears by it.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I don't know the answer but there ARE some very nice, knowledgeable people on the forum. Just ignore the people that have adopted the phone as one of their family and get upset at the idea of anyone modifying something.

----------

"I ain't got time for no complicated phone!"

Snarky remark, I bet it gets you a lot of business.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010

I get bitten by this a few times a month because I'm playing games which have dragging guestures which could potentially involve something that's near one side of the screen. There are times when I really would prefer to be able to suppress extra OS-level guestures and just be in the program I'm in, no intrusions from the OS, until I physically hit the home button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.