Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davemassey

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
The only way to disable the notification center is to temporarily enable guided access for the foreground app. This will not really disable notification center, but it will prevent it from coming up accidentally when swiping down from the top of the screen. For games, this may be a good solution.

Guided access mode can be enabled under Settings -> General -> Accessibility

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
Just because you may not have issue with something doesn't mean it's not an inconvenience for someone else.

It doesn't bother me, but, if there were an option to disable it, I probably would. I never use it and it does occasionally get in the way when scrolling or if I were to play the occasional 'swiping' style game.

It gets in my way all the time. I don't use it, it's turned off, everything in the setting section is off. If I pull it down its a blank page. So I agree it would be nice to be able to remove it. Oh well though. Of all the potential issues that I could be faced with, this one isn't too big of a deal.

Jnpitcher

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
What? Not at all.

The easiest solution is just to not drag down from the top ( and only solution without a jailbreak)

Seriously this is tantamount to complaining that it hurts when you pinch yourself... just don't do it.

Its disturbing how many people don't think about the problem from another user's perspective. This doesn't bother me but consider games and drawing apps. It happens - your doodling and it breaks the rhythm. This is more like having a TV that turns on when you stand in a special spot. Seems like a good idea, but if you want to dance, it'd be very annoying. A bunch of you are doing the equivalent of saying "just don't dance!"

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
What? Not at all.

Its disturbing how many people don't think about the problem from another user's perspective. This doesn't bother me but consider games and drawing apps. It happens - your doodling and it breaks the rhythm. This is more like having a TV that turns on when you stand in a special spot. Seems like a good idea, but if you want to dance, it'd be very annoying. A bunch of you are doing the equivalent of saying "just don't dance!"

You analogy is correct up until the end. They'd be saying, "Don't dance near that spot." Still annoying.

Ckubrick2

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
The lack of an off switch for the swipe down notification Center is a very annoying feature for me as well as most people I know.
This video will teach you how to turn it off without jailbreaking.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fyJCbkzq6mY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=fyJCbkzq6mY

Toptoffee, you were wrong, it is not a unusual request, heard it from a lot of people. Love Apple, but hate it when they **** on their loyal customers with Little annoying hiccups like this. What is unusual is not being able to turn it off from the phone.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Was just trying to remove the notification centre in app now - as it is triggered often when watching videos and trying to adjust the video timing scrubber, but there’s no option to do that outside of lock screen as far as I can tell

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Was just trying to remove the notification centre in app now - as it is triggered often when watching videos and trying to adjust the video timing scrubber, but there’s no option to do that outside of lock screen as far as I can tell
Yeah, Notification Center isn't something you can disable normally when he phone is unlocked. Maybe indirectly though something like guided access in accessibility settings, but that's probably it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.