Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alaskan Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
Fairbanks, AK
Okay, I'm a Mac lover/user, but an old Bat. <3

What I don't quite understand, is do I need just the app to watch Apple TV or do I need to go buy the set up, what?
Help me... If it's as simple as downloading the app and subscribing, great. But, how do I get it on my 2015 Smart TV? Or is it too old. Fire stick? Buy the Apple thing?

Someone, pleased educate me... kindly. :)
Thank you!

Reactions: annk

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
You‘re not the only person who is confused by Apple’s poor naming conventions. Let’s see if I can clear things up for you.

The Apple TV is a streaming device that you purchase. You connect it to your TV using an HDMI cable.

The TV app (AKA the Apple TV app, but that is too confusing) is an app, like HBO Now, CBS, Sling, etc., that is available on the Apple TV. It is an aggregator app which can be used to pull in content from many different sources. You can also subscribe to Channels directly in the TV app. Some of these channels include HBO, CBS, Curiosity Stream, Showtime, etc. Right now there are about a dozen Channels you can subscribe to and you do not need the third party app installed to watch the content.

Which brings us to the TV+ Channel (AKA Apple TV+, but, again, that is too confusing). TV+ is a Channel available to be subscribed to in the TV app, just like you can subscribe to the the Channels I described above.

The TV app is also available for Roku and Fire TV devices, as well as select, current Sony and Samsung smart TVs. However, in my opinion, you will get the best experience out of the TV app by using it on an Apple TV.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Okay, I'm a Mac lover/user, but an old Bat. <3

What I don't quite understand, is do I need just the app to watch Apple TV or do I need to go buy the set up, what?
Help me... If it's as simple as downloading the app and subscribing, great. But, how do I get it on my 2015 Smart TV? Or is it too old. Fire stick? Buy the Apple thing?

Someone, pleased educate me... kindly. :)
Thank you!

it’s as simple as downloading the app if all you want to watch it on is on your iPhone or iPad but if you want to watch on your 2015 TV then you need to buy a device. TV app available on Roku, Fire stick and Apple TV 4th generation onward. Since you’re not teach savvy your safe bet is Apple TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskan Apple

Alaskan Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
Fairbanks, AK
You‘re not the only person who is confused by Apple’s poor naming conventions. Let’s see if I can clear things up for you.

The Apple TV is a streaming device that you purchase. You connect it to your TV using an HDMI cable.

The TV app (AKA the Apple TV app, but that is too confusing) is an app, like HBO Now, CBS, Sling, etc., that is available on the Apple TV. It is an aggregator app which can be used to pull in content from many different sources. You can also subscribe to Channels directly in the TV app. Some of these channels include HBO, CBS, Curiosity Stream, Showtime, etc. Right now there are about a dozen Channels you can subscribe to and you do not need the third party app installed to watch the content.

Which brings us to the TV+ Channel (AKA Apple TV+, but, again, that is too confusing). TV+ is a Channel available to be subscribed to in the TV app, just like you can subscribe to the the Channels I described above.

The TV app is also available for Roku and Fire TV devices, as well as select, current Sony and Samsung smart TVs. However, in my opinion, you will get the best experience out of the TV app by using it on an Apple TV.

Thank you VERY much! I appreciate your reply.

While I'm not *Tech Stupid,* as it were, this Apple TV thing has confused me between the App and the Apple TV device itself, and being able to access the same on say, a Fire Stick.

Sounds like perhaps Apple TV is the best option. Thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind response, I really appreciate it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.