Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
I‘m currently using JBL E45 BT. And I have some weird problems with connection stability.

Most of the time the headphones work good, but sometimes my iPhone looses the connection as soon as I change to another app or sometimes even stopping the music will result in a connection drop. I see that something is played but I don’t hear anything.

Then I have to shut down my headphones and reconnect them after restart. Often times even this doesn’t work. I have to repeat the process several times.

I had this problem on a train trip. Maybe ten to twenty times plus several retries reconnecting. It was starting to drive me nuts.

But since this doesn’t happen all the time I suspect that it is a general problem with the higher numbers of BT devices, especially headphones.

So, long story, short question:

Do newer headphones with BT 5.0 still have these problems?
Or is the W1 the only real solution?

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Do newer headphones with BT 5.0 still have these problems?
Or is the W1 the only real solution?

Going by the many reviews of new BT5 ear buds that I’ve watched, most don’t suffer the dropouts you’ve experienced. 10-20 drop outs suggest an issue with your specific set?

I‘ve owned W1 & now H1 Airpods, & neither suffer disconnection issues. I can use them at distances up to 27m reliably.

(P.S. Love Deus Ex ?)

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
Ive Just returned some B&O E8s, poor range and a right faff to connect.
I got APP just pop them in and they work instantly plus I can walk anywhere in the house and they work.
Dont quite sound as good but they just work.

Laton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
10-20 drop outs suggest an issue with your specific set?

I also thought about that, but since the problem almost instantly stopped after changing to a less crowded train I suspect a general problem with BT connections.

It could also be a combination of several factors like the change to my new iPhone or an aging chip on the headphones.

Anyway, I’m thinking about getting the new AirPods Pro or the Sony WF-1000XM3. Currently I’m leaning towards the Sony, since the price is better and audio quality is really good according to several reviews. But if connection is still a problem I might get the AirPods instead or .... wait a little longer. ?

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I also thought about that, but since the problem almost instantly stopped after changing to a less crowded train I suspect a general problem with BT connections.

It could also be a combination of several factors like the change to my new iPhone or an aging chip on the headphones.

Anyway, I’m thinking about getting the new AirPods Pro or the Sony WF-1000XM3. Currently I’m leaning towards the Sony, since the price is better and audio quality is really good according to several reviews. But if connection is still a problem I might get the AirPods instead or .... wait a little longer. ?
The AirPods Pro are only $20 more. The Sony’s didn’t stay in my ears well and weren’t as comfortable as the APP’s. I didn’t think the Sony’s ANC was that much better than APP’s. If you are all in to the Apple eco system the APP’s are a no brained. The Sony’s do sound better.

Laton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Actually in Europe it’s currently 199€ for the Sony and 279€ for the AirPods-Pro (plus Apple Care).

Laton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
I did some research in the last few days. Bluetooth does have some general problems with connection stability.
Here's on interesting article on the topic:

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-bluetooth-sucks-bad-problems-issues-disconnects-2018-2?IR=T

Since not many people reported similar problems here, I guess it's not a common issue and maybe resolved with BT 5.0.

So I did give the Sony WF-1000XM3 a try.

Today was the first day and already a good test, since the train was way more crowded than usual.
Connection was okay, but I did have some weird problems with short sound distortions.

Reading up on the Sony forum there seems to be a problem with the noise cancelling system when pressure suddenly changes like through passing trains or cars:

https://community.sony.de/t5/portab...elling-glitches-in-train-tunnels/td-p/2676787

I'll give it another try tomorrow, but it would be interesting to know if Airpods Pro do have similar issues.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I’ve had the APP since a few days after launch, and they’ve never once disconnected from my phone.

One time, I had a weird distortion in the sound as I opened the photo app while it played a podcast, but that only lasted a couple of seconds, and resolved itself, never to happen again.

Laton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Day 2 with the Sony WF-1000, and I will probably return them tomorrow.

I liked the sound. ANC was really nice to have. Connection was stable.

I was even considering if I could live with the occasional sound blips (errors), but after one hour of using them my ears started to hurt. ?

I‘m not sure if I should give the AirPods a try.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I‘m not sure if I should give the AirPods a try.

You should definitely try them out. Every iPhone owner should if they’re in the market. I think there’s an extended returns period on now so you’ll have longer to test them.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I did some research in the last few days. Bluetooth does have some general problems with connection stability.
Here's on interesting article on the topic:

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-bluetooth-sucks-bad-problems-issues-disconnects-2018-2?IR=T

Since not many people reported similar problems here, I guess it's not a common issue and maybe resolved with BT 5.0.

So I did give the Sony WF-1000XM3 a try.

Today was the first day and already a good test, since the train was way more crowded than usual.
Connection was okay, but I did have some weird problems with short sound distortions.

Reading up on the Sony forum there seems to be a problem with the noise cancelling system when pressure suddenly changes like through passing trains or cars:

https://community.sony.de/t5/portab...elling-glitches-in-train-tunnels/td-p/2676787

I'll give it another try tomorrow, but it would be interesting to know if Airpods Pro do have similar issues.
My AirPods Pro have been flawless. No drops, comfortable for long periods, great ANC. Overall, a great user experience. I tried the Sony WF1000XM3 and was disappointed. I also experienced audio interruptions. The Sony’s ANC wasn’t as good as the APP’s. I get a good tip seal with the APP’s but, no combination of the Sony tips made a good seal so ANC with the Sony’s was minimal. The Sony’s weren’t as comfortable as the APP’s. The Sony’s sounded better, the battery lasted longer and the app was very good. I just got home from returning the Sony’s. Now I’ll wait for the new Bose 700 ANC earbuds due out next year.

Last edited:

Laton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Thanks for the replys!

Today I managed to go to the Apple store and ... got them. Online the shipping date is moving to end of January. ?

Unfortunately I couldn’t test the fit in the store (maybe only an option in the US), but with the extended return period I should have plenty of time to test them.

Laton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
First impressions:

Size: I was really surprised when I opened the package. I never saw an Airpod charging case in person before, only on video. The case is so much smaller than the Sony one, wow! What is even more impressive is the battery life Apple gets out of this, not really a big difference in comparison to Sony. Nice.

Fit: I didn‘t have much time to test the AirPods, but so far they feel much more comfortable. The 3 gramm less than the WF-1000 seem to help a lot.

Sound quality: Overall good, but I think very deep bass works better with the Sony. But I think I can live with that.

ANC: Noise canceling works good. But the real challenge is Transperency Mode.
Overall I like Apple‘s implementation more. It feels more natural.
But... long hair is kind of a problem. When it‘s rubbing against the AirPods there’s a really loud sound in my ear. Weird. ? I have to see how often this will happen.

Sound problems: When I walked outside I had twice a really weird noice of about 1-2 seconds duration. It sounded like tuning a radio to the right frequency.
I don’t know if I used Transparency mode at this time or pure ANC. Next week I do more testing on public transport. I hope I can get more clues what’s causing this distortion.

Anybody else had this problem yet?

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Good on you for trying them out. So no dropouts I take it?

I haven’t experienced the scratching(?) sound you refer to. Nearest thing to it I’ve heard is when finger rubbed against the bud accidentally when in Transparency mode.

The hair thing’s been raised by a couple of female reviewers (iJustine iirc), so you’re not alone there.

Hope they end up working out for you.

Oh, & with the lacking bass - I was listening to 2Pac‘s All Eyez on Me yesterday, & selecting the ‘Hip Hop’ EQ setting made a satisfying difference.

MacDuggy

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2019
All the AirPods did was lighten my wallet ... a lot.
They were terrible earphones in all other respects.
The cheap cordless earphones I got from Amazon for less than $20 work flawlessly.
Go figure.

Laton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
The real connectivity test will be on monday during rush hour in public transport. ?

But so far I'm enjoying the Airpods Pro far more than I expected.

I settled on EQ-Setting "Rock", because I only need a little bit bass boost when listening on low volume.

Admittedly I don't listen to bass-heavy music (I mostly listen to classical) so whatever purported lack of bass response in the APP is a non-issue. Sure, the APP don't sound as good as my Grado SR-60 over-the-ear headphones, but none of my earphones/earbuds sound as good as the cheapo 20-year-old Grado 'cans.

Funny thing, I actually listened to Beethovens 5th Symphony yesterday. :)
With ANC now, I think I could be enjoying classical music again when I'm on public transport.

All the AirPods did was lighten my wallet ... a lot.
They were terrible earphones in all other respects.
The cheap cordless earphones I got from Amazon for less than $20 work flawlessly.
Go figure.

Really, that's totally fine.
It's a question of time, money and value what you should get.
Why time? Because you need time to earn the money. You need time to check possible alternatives. And last but not least, you have to consider the time you want to use your purchase.

You don't need the best of the best, just the best solution for you.

I did go for the expensive solution this time. And I'm honest the money still hurts a little bit. But on the other hand, the satisfaction if everything is perfect is also an important value for me.

If you are satisfied with your solution that's all good and fine. But it doesn't need to be the best solution for everybody else.

Last edited:

Laton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Wrapping things up, APP had no problems even when the train was bursting with people. :)

The weird sound I heard during my first test was actually the "hair problem" I already mentioned. ?

Thanks a lot for the discussion. It really helped me finding the right solution for me.

Reactions: Ralfi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.