Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Glad to see more are supporting it. I am curious though on what the percentage of content is UHD vs HD.

It's pretty small, but it's there for people to use. When people use it, it grows and that's what's important. I've noticed of late that Vudu has added quite a bit of content. What I don't like is that all of them are going to clearly require a double dip and there is no upgrade path for a lower cost to go from the HD version to the UHD version. In other words, if you paid $15-20 for that HD movie it's going to cost you about $20-30 to upgrade to UHD. I was hoping to see something like pay $5-10 to upgrade. Maybe that will come later, but for now it's a pretty expensive move if you want to start upgrading.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
It's pretty small, but it's there for people to use. When people use it, it grows and that's what's important. I've noticed of late that Vudu has added quite a bit of content. What I don't like is that all of them are going to clearly require a double dip and there is no upgrade path for a lower cost to go from the HD version to the UHD version. In other words, if you paid $15-20 for that HD movie it's going to cost you about $20-30 to upgrade to UHD. I was hoping to see something like pay $5-10 to upgrade. Maybe that will come later, but for now it's a pretty expensive move if you want to start upgrading.

Oh, that just sucks but it doesn't surprise me. Heck they are going to be doing that with Blu-Rays too so, this comes as no surprise to me. Glad to see it is growing, and maybe the time I am ready to get a new tv in a few years.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I'm putting My TV purchase on hold and I heard that Samsung tvs are really good. I'm waiting for the 2016 models to come out.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was in Best Buy today and saw their 82” (maybe 85”) 8k TV, forget the brand but it may have been a Samsung. A real steal at $7800. ;)

I had a friendly chat with a salesman and asked him, what 8k media could I watch on it? He basically said “no”. hmm.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have A P Series Visio 65” TV. Purchased it in the Spring, so far it’s a good tv, great picture. However in the last couple of days trying to turn it on by hitting my Roku remote button, which used to work, no longer turns the TV on. However if I turn the TV on with its remote, the Roku HDMI input works and the Roku is functional.

I know they changed which button on the Apple TV remote turns on the TV and that still works. Any troubleshooting ideas or resets that might help the Roku? I did unplug and plug it, but that is not triggering the tv to come on as it used to. Thanks!
[automerge]1572982229[/automerge]
Netflix, Vudu, Amazon, DirecTV all have UHD material.
And Amazon does not charge you extra (like Netflix does) for their UHD content. At least I don’t think they do. ?
[automerge]1572982463[/automerge]
I'm putting My TV purchase on hold and I heard that Samsung tvs are really good. I'm waiting for the 2016 models to come out.
Samsung, Sony, so far my Visio is doing well. One of the important things is to compare refresh rates in the TV specs. 240 is better than 120Hz for coping with motion blur.

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
My current and last TVs have been LG. Very pleased with this brand. Would not hesitate to go with LG next time.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
My current and last TVs have been LG. Very pleased with this brand. Would not hesitate to go with LG next time.
We have 1 Samsung which is now very old (maybe 10 years? I bought it when full HD TVs started to become available) and 3 LGs of varying age. All are working well but we are basically standardising on LG now.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
the 1080 format has been around for almost 40 years
the 4000 resolution is old too
but
1080, 4000 represent good value especially for a lightly used unit

someone posted their justification / reconditions for 8K. seems they buy new and hold on to the unit for a few years. He was all about a Samsung wall unit.
i could not find the link to the post.

myself;
if a wall unit had built in linux VLC i would maybe could be interested. its been 20 years since we had an antenna.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have A P Series Visio 65” TV. Purchased it in the Spring, so far it’s a good tv, great picture. However in the last couple of days trying to turn it on by hitting my Roku remote button, which used to work, no longer turns the TV on. However if I turn the TV on with its remote, the Roku HDMI input works and the Roku is functional.

I know they changed which button on the Apple TV remote turns on the TV and that still works. Any troubleshooting ideas or resets that might help the Roku? I did unplug and plug it, but that is not triggering the tv to come on as it used to. Thanks!
[automerge]1572982229[/automerge]

And Amazon does not charge you extra (like Netflix does) for their UHD content. At least I don’t think they do. ?
[automerge]1572982463[/automerge]

Samsung, Sony, so far my Visio is doing well. One of the important things is to compare refresh rates in the TV specs. 240 is better than 120Hz for coping with motion blur.
Update, now the Roku remote is once again turning on the TV. Trying to figure out what factor maybe involved when it stops working.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just purchased a Sony UBP-X700 Ultra HD Player (deal at Amazon). I set it up, and eagerly put in my one 4kUHD BluRay disk to play and ended up with a crappy picture, or at least not 4kUD. Of note, this one disk includes UHD, BluRay, and DVD version on the same disk as far as I can tell.

Before I go to research it, can anyone tell me if there is a setting that would prevent this player from playing the UHD version of the movie? Shouldn't it just see it and play it? There were no options that popped up asking what version I wanted to play.
Thanks!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just purchased a Sony UBP-X700 Ultra HD Player (deal at Amazon). I set it up, and eagerly put in my one 4kUHD BluRay disk to play and ended up with a crappy picture, or at least not 4kUD. Of note, this one disk includes UHD, BluRay, and DVD version on the same disk as far as I can tell.

Before I go to research it, can anyone tell me if there is a setting that would prevent this player from playing the UHD version of the movie? Shouldn't it just see it and play it? There were no options that popped up asking what version I wanted to play.
Thanks!
Correction: There are only two versions of this movie in this package on seperate disks, a UHD disk, and a BluRay disk. I’m sure I had the UHD disk in the player. Here is my question, should UHD disk playing on a UDH TV filling the entire screen or have empty space at the top and bottom? I’m wondering if there is a play setting that controls this on the screen.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Thanks!
Correction: There are only two versions of this movie in this package on seperate disks, a UHD disk, and a BluRay disk. I’m sure I had the UHD disk in the player. Here is my question, should UHD disk playing on a UDH TV filling the entire screen or have empty space at the top and bottom? I’m wondering if there is a play setting that controls this on the screen.
Summary, plus I’ve learned some things since these posts:
  • I purchased a Sony UBP-X700 Ultra HD Player for use on my Visio-P series TV. After setting it up, I eagerly put in my only UHD BluRay disk and was greeted with a crappy picture, at least crappy by HD and UHD quality standards.
  • I also noticed the movie played in a letter box format with two bands at the top and bottom of the screen. I assumed that a UHD disk would play full screen on a UHD TV, but maybe not. What is ironic is that with up-scaling I’m seeing DVD movies play full screen!
  • The HDMI cable I was using on my Sony player apparently did not support UHD and there is enough difference between HD and UHD to make a difference. I found a setting Full UHD Color on my Visio-P series TV under menu> input settings (which lists HDMI sources), select HDMI source, and turned on Full UHD Color. At that point the video coming from the UHD player started flashing, then went dark. So I swapped it out with a different HDMI cable and got video with Full UHD Color turned on. The Viseo manual says that turning on Full UHD Color enables UHR content to be displayed, but I question this because, I’ve seen what I‘d describe as UHD content with this setting turned off. So I’m thinking it has to do primarily with color display, which became decidedly more vivid, so much so, I was compelled to turn the color settings down. But I also have a Vivid picture setting elected, so, I’ll go experiment with that.
  • HDR High Dynamic Range - Vizio
    Once connected, you will need to go into the TV's menu with the VIZIO remote and select Input Settings, then select the HDMI port your device is connected to and turn on the Full UHD Color option. This will enable HDR-High Dynamic Range content on the TV. https://support.vizio.com/s/article/HDR-High-Dynamic-Range?language=en_US
  • Yet after these steps, the movie still is not up to UHD standards. For comparison, I started a HD BluRay movie on disk and it looked better than the UHD movie. At this point I suspect I have poor UHD media on this disk. I won’t go as far as saying it is defective, but I learned another lesson, don’t buy a disk with a format you don’t yet have a player for, because it is too late to return it. ? So my plan is to buy another UHD disk and see if it’s picture is better.
  • One other thing, there were Black Friday deals that were not advertised on Amazon’s Black Friday Deal section even though they had a section on future deals, in advance of Black Friday. I could have saved $20 if I had waited to order this player today. ?
Can anyone confirm your UHD BluRay disks, play full screen or with bands of blank space on the screen?

I wonder if UHD BluRay content, depending on who manufactured it, can have different levels of quality based on a variety of factors, among this how the movie was originally filmed?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
However when smart TVs started spying on you my feeling is a just want a dumb TV or roll my own antenna!
Tracking what you watch? If that is the reference, any hub or channel like Netflix or AppleTV keep track for your convenience (a series picks up, where you left it) and so they know the success of a show or movie, by the number of views.

Now, is this a case where your individual viewing habits are evaluated and you are fed shows based on your viewing habits? Netflix produces many lists of shows you might like based on your viewing habits, but my impression, that is an automated process based on tags or genders. Is someone pulling up a list of satcomer’s viewing habits and evaluating them? I suppose it is possible, but I’d ask why because again, my impression is that this is all automated.

Is it a lack of privacy? I’d say yes, but it comes with the territory for your convenience, and for their marketing.

Another good example, do you have a mobile phone? There are many apps on your phone. Besides that your phone is always tracked, let’s say you have a weather app, do you want warnings for just your home or for where you are? I have mine set for where I am, so my movement is being tracked and periodically I am told that it is tracking me, and do I want it to continue tracking me. I say yes.

When the dystopian future arrives and I become part of the resistance, then I will toss my smart phone. :)

Reactions: Tomorrow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.