Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terragotchi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2018
Tried searching around but couldn't find any answers to my issue.

I'm running iOS 11.4.1 on an iPhone 8+ and I've been experiencing an odd issue lately where some contacts do not show up in my contacts list when scrolling through but DO show up when I search for the contact using the search bar at the top of the app.

Does anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it? It's not the biggest issue ever, but it's definitely annoying.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You're saying you have a contact who's name is something like "John Smith" and when you scroll to the "S" section (if you're sorting by last name) you don't see it? And then, you type "Smith" in the search field and a contact "John Smith" shows up under "TOP NAME MATCHES"?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Odd. Can not reproduce that in the Contacts app, however, can repoduce using Spotlight search: can search for a contact under a group not checked on in Contacts.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Multiple contact groups? Contacts -> Groups -> Check all are enabled.

I would investigate this first. If a group isn't selected its likely you can still search it but not be displayed. If this is the issue there are ways to condense them to one source.

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2018
Romania

I'm running iOS 11.4.1 on an iPhone 8+ and I've been experiencing an odd issue lately where some contacts do not show up in my contacts list when scrolling through but DO show up when I search for the contact using the search bar at the top of the app.

Does anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it? It's not the biggest issue ever, but it's definitely annoying.

I’ve encountered this situation also. I concluded that it is a misbehavior, somewhere there is a conflict. My father had this issue also.
I made a backup to all contacts, deleted them from iCloud and then added them again. This didn’t work. Then I deleted them again, imported them from my google account, but still didn’t work. After this I ended up deactivating iCloud contacts and using the ones from google. Since then I didn’t have any issue

sjn25281

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014

I have the exact same issue. I assume it stems from having some contacts associated with iCloud, and with google. Ideally I would like to have them all only on iCloud. It’s so annoying to have to spotlight search all the time when the contact is clearly saved on my phone but not appearing.

Did you ever solve it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.