Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I've got an iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) that I'm to resurrect. It belonged to my mother in law. She got rid of it a couple of years ago as it was running really slow.

I figured the first problem was having a stupid spinning hard drive in there. So I popped in a 2.5 inch SSD. That SSD already had a working Windows 10 install from an old Dell. Surprisingly it booted and ran that Windows install. But it was also slow.

I think the CPU is being throttled. Windows system information reports the CPU model as an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4260U CPU @ 1.40GHz 2.00 GHz. However, Task Manager shows the CPU speed at 0.79 GHz.

The fans are running slightly elevated. They ran slightly elevated with the stock hard drive running Mac OS.

Any suggestion as to what's wrong?

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
You're running an original Widows OS directly on a Mac, rather than running it on a specially-prepared Bootcamp partition. Since Macs aren't designed to do this, that could be the problem.

I would start by doing things the officially-supported way--boot into internet recovery, erase the drive (since it's an SSD you don't do a secure erase--just a regular erase is the ticket), reformat for MacOS, install MacOS, and then see how it runs. If you want to run Windows, then either use Bootcamp or buy Parallels.

Reactions: JustAnExpat

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Makes sense. I don't really care about running Windows on this machine. I just let it boot on a lark, since I had that spare SSD lying around. I ran a program called HWiNFO64 and it confirms the clock speed of 800MHz. I thought I'd find a high temperature but it's reporting 33C.

I get that I'm not running Windows correctly and that may be the issue. But I find it interesting that the fan noise and the sluggishness seemed the same under Mac OS.

I'll go ahead and do a proper macOS install and see how it goes.

Reactions: theorist9

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Mods please move this back, I'm not really troubleshooting Windows, I'm installing macOS as I type this. I think I have a hardware problem with my Mac.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I would start by doing things the officially-supported way--boot into internet recovery, erase the drive (since it's an SSD you don't do a secure erase--just a regular erase is the ticket), reformat for MacOS, install MacOS, and then see how it runs.
I did all that. After booting into recovery, formatting the drive and launching the installation I checked the clock. From the point where the actual install started until I could log in as a user was about 4 hours. The clean install of Big Sur is dragging. The fans are spinning. Behaving just like it did with the old spinner, the new SSD with Windows and now the new SSD with a clean Mac OS install.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, it's a hardware problem. The question is: what's causing it? And, is there a simple fix.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Now that you've got a proper clean install, the next steps would be to do an SMC reset and a PRAM reset, and then do an Apple Hardware Test. You might also try booting into Safe Mode, though since you're operating on a clean install I don't know if that would have any effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustAnExpat

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
When you are logged in, install software which will monitor internal temperature sensors. I assume when you replaced the HHD with SSD you blew out all the dust, etc. I’d open it up and retrace my SSD install steps. Inspect the boards for corrosion. I suspect a thermal sensor isn’t connected or has failed.

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
I am guessing that analogue to the iMac+s 27 of this time, a temperature Sensor for the SATA conected HD/SSD was needet to Report the Temperature of the SSD/HD and thus not reporting a Temperature throtteling the CPU.

I have developed a solution that eliminates the error problem 4SNS/1/40000000: TH00-9.000 after replacing the hard disk in the following Apple models that do not have an external drive temperature sensor:
- iMac 21.5" A1311 (2011 model)
- iMac 27-inch A1312 (2011 model)
- iMac 21.5" Retina A1418 (models 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- iMac 27" Retina A1419 (models: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)

My method requires no investment in adapters, additional cables or modules, does not interfere with the computer's wiring, is fast and 100% effective. It resolves all the symptoms described below, including the error display in the AHT.

Symptoms:

- Very slow operating system,
- Kernel task 100% and more in the Activity Monitor (constant, full CPU load),
- high fan speed (hard disk fan on A1311/A1312 models, main fan on A1418/A1419 models),
- 4SNS/1/40000000 error: TH00-9,000 in the AHT (Apple Hardware Test - triggered by holding the Alt+D keys during the boot process).

Cause:

New hard disks that do not bear the Apple logo are not compatible with the SATA standard introduced by Apple, which provides for a temperature sensor on the drive's electronic board. Apple drives use pin 11 of the SATA power connector (15-pin) to transmit the voltage from the temperature sensor. The difference between the standard SATA connector and Apple's SATA connector is explained below:

Figures 1 and 2 - Pin assignment of the SATA power connector (standard pin assignment on the left, Apple pin assignment on the right)

Obrazek

Solution:

Simply connect pin 11 to pin 12 of the SATA power connector with a drop of tin before installing the drive, as shown in the figures below:

Obrazek

Fig. 3 and 4 - Connection of pins 11 and 12 of the SATA connector (on the left a 2.5" drive, where the solder joints of the connector are accessible without removing the electronics, on the right a 3.5" drive, where the solder joints are inaccessible from the outside and the electronics board must be removed)

Obrazek

Obrazek

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Mods please move this back, I'm not really troubleshooting Windows

Moderator Note: Thread has been moved to the iMac forum, but it's not clear to me if this is where you want it. We're happy to move threads, but it's better to use the report button for the first post and tell us where you'd like it moved instead of posting to the thread. Thanks!

Reactions: InfoTime

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
a temperature Sensor for the SATA conected HD/SSD was needet to Report the Temperature of the SSD/HD and thus not reporting a Temperature throtteling the CPU.
I observed the same slow CPU symptoms with the stock Apple hard drive before I ever opened up the system. If your theory is correct (which I'm not doubting or challenging) then I guess the stock hard drive might have had a defective sensor too, which would explain the effect both before and after surgery.

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
I observed the same slow CPU symptoms with the stock Apple hard drive before I ever opened up the system. If your theory is correct (which I'm not doubting or challenging) then I guess the stock hard drive might have had a defective sensor too, which would explain the effect both before and after surgery.
Possible, but I do not know exactly because i never owned - iMac 21.5" Retina A1418 (models 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)

You can also check with Apple Hardware Test - triggered by holding the Alt+D keys during the boot process....

Symptoms:

- Very slow operating system,
- Kernel task 100% and more in the Activity Monitor (constant, full CPU load),

- high fan speed (hard disk fan on A1311/A1312 models, main fan on A1418/A1419 models),
- 4SNS/1/40000000 error: TH00-9,000 in the AHT
(Apple Hardware Test - triggered by holding the Alt+D keys during the boot process).

This is a very common issue with 27" iMac Models.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
You can also check with Apple Hardware Test - triggered by holding the Alt+D keys during the boot process....
There may be an issue with the System Management Controller (SMC)
Reference Code: PFM006

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
If you are lucky you only have to change the little PRAM Battery........
If not ......

1702240614927.png

But it seems you have to literally detach every piece of the 2014 iMac....

Last edited:

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
Interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to get to the battery to replace, I have basically tear the system all the way down and remove the logic board to get to it?

That is what iFixIt tells.... i do not have an iMac 2014 21....
The chance that the SMC is really defective is still very high.

GrumpyDonkey

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2023
You're running an original Widows OS directly on a Mac, rather than running it on a specially-prepared Bootcamp partition. Since Macs aren't designed to do this, that could be the problem.

I would start by doing things the officially-supported way--boot into internet recovery, erase the drive (since it's an SSD you don't do a secure erase--just a regular erase is the ticket), reformat for MacOS, install MacOS, and then see how it runs. If you want to run Windows, then either use Bootcamp or buy Parallels.
Running Windows directly without the terrible BootCamp support files will not slow a machine down. If anything it should be faster.

If you really need it, find the download link on the Apple website for the latest version of BootCamp. Only install it on the windows side. BootCamp when used from Mac OS was a terrible abomination of software.

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
Have you tryed reset the SMC ?

How do you reset the SMC on a 2014 iMac?

iMac, Mac Mini, or Mac Pro
  1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release the button.
  3. Wait a few seconds and restart your Mac.
  4. If that doesn't help, shut down your Mac again.
  5. Unplug the power cord and wait 15 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the power cord and wait 5 seconds.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If it was me, and if I had a 10-year-old iMac I wanted to keep alive and squeeze better performance from, I'd just erase the internal drive, leave it "in place, where it lies", and add a USB3 external SSD to become the new boot drive.

Cheap, fast, easy and less chance of breaking anything inside.

When it's time to retire the iMac, just disconnect the SSD and take it to the new Mac...

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
Makes sense. I don't really care about running Windows on this machine. I just let it boot on a lark, since I had that spare SSD lying around. I ran a program called HWiNFO64 and it confirms the clock speed of 800MHz. I thought I'd find a high temperature but it's reporting 33C.
to @GrumpyDonkey and @Fishrrman

please read the Thread before making useless recomendations :)

The SMC seems to be broken - Hardware Test put out Reference Code: PFM006 - we tried to figure out what makes it a lame Duck running 800Mhz CPU.........

There may be an issue with the System Management Controller (SMC)
Reference Code: PFM006

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
iMac, Mac Mini, or Mac Pro
  1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release the button.
  3. Wait a few seconds and restart your Mac.
  4. If that doesn't help, shut down your Mac again.
  5. Unplug the power cord and wait 15 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the power cord and wait 5 seconds.
I did several PRAM resets, but not sure if I've tried holding the power button in for 10 seconds. The machine has also been sitting on a shelf, unplugged for about three years.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I've got an iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) that I'm to resurrect. It belonged to my mother in law. She got rid of it a couple of years ago as it was running really slow.

I figured the first problem was having a stupid spinning hard drive in there. So I popped in a 2.5 inch SSD. That SSD already had a working Windows 10 install from an old Dell. Surprisingly it booted and ran that Windows install. But it was also slow.

I think the CPU is being throttled. Windows system information reports the CPU model as an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4260U CPU @ 1.40GHz 2.00 GHz. However, Task Manager shows the CPU speed at 0.79 GHz.

The fans are running slightly elevated. They ran slightly elevated with the stock hard drive running Mac OS.

Any suggestion as to what's wrong?
that happened to me, i ran an intel utility to diagnose (mac version) and replaced the cpu with a model that originally came with that imac. it now works perfectly to this day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.