Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterBigMack

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2012
So I’m in a bit of predicament here...

I need to get a new iPad - as my old original ipad is practically died of death

Amazon are doing the 10.5 iPad Pro 256gb model for £448 - and as we know that’s cheaper than the current iPad Air models

Now I have looked at the comparisons between the two - and it looks like the only thing that the iPad Air beats the old iPad Pro on is the chip - iPad Air has the A12 chip and the old iPad Pro has the A10x chip - everything else seems to be better - speakers, camera, pro motion...

Now my question is - is it a bad thing if I get this iPad Pro now which has a worse chip than the iPad Air - does getting the iPad Air “future proof” myself for the next 5 or so years? But will the iPad Pro still last the same sort of time?
What I’m trying to ask is - will the iPad Air last me much longer in its lifespan?

Many thanks

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

Amazon are doing the 10.5 iPad Pro 256gb model for £448 - and as we know that’s cheaper than the current iPad Air models

Now I have looked at the comparisons between the two - and it looks like the only thing that the iPad Air beats the old iPad Pro on is the chip - iPad Air has the A12x chip and the old iPad Pro has the A10 chip - everything else seems to be better - speakers, camera, pro motion...

Now my question is - is it a bad thing if I get this iPad Pro now which has a worse chip than the iPad Air - does getting the iPad Air “future proof” myself for the next 5 or so years? But will the iPad Pro still last the same sort of time?
What I’m trying to ask is - will the iPad Air last me much longer in its lifespan?

Many thanks
The 10.5 Pro has the A10X chip. I'm thlnklng of plcklng up a 10.5 Pro too. Apple certified remanufactured is the way I'll be purchasing. A little more expensive but, Apple warranty

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015

Now I have looked at the comparisons between the two - and it looks like the only thing that the iPad Air beats the old iPad Pro on is the chip - iPad Air has the A12x chip and the old iPad Pro has the A10 chip - everything else seems to be better - speakers, camera, pro motion...

Many thanks

Air has A12 and pro has A10x. I now own both tablets and they both are equally fast.

Buy whichever one you can get for a better deal.

Reactions: rui no onna

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
There are too many reports of white spot issues with the 10.5 Pro for my peace of mind. Personally, I'd go with the Air 3 as later technology. Who knows, the display may have been subtly improved and the processor, though similarly fast, is of a more recently engineered generation.

The number of similar Air 3 display issues reported is negligible compared to the 10.5. Granted the 10.5 has been out a lot longer, but even by the same period as now, there were many more complaints and in-store exchanges.

Last edited:

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Now I have looked at the comparisons between the two - and it looks like the only thing that the iPad Air beats the old iPad Pro on is the chip - iPad Air has the A12 chip and the old iPad Pro has the A10x chip - everything else seems to be better - speakers, camera, pro motion...

Many thanks
Get a 10.5 inch iPad Pro.

Roykatz

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2019
I wouldn’t take any of them - both of them have reports about the bright white spot appearing. Why not the iPad 7gen?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I wouldn’t take any of them - both of them have reports about the bright white spot appearing. Why not the iPad 7gen?

As someone with an Air 3, I’d say that’s a silly reason to avoid either of them. For one, not every unit has the problem. If you get one that does and it bothers you, just get it replaced. Second, it might not even bother you even if you do get such a unit. My Air 3 actually has a very small bright spot (more like a bright squiggly line) but it’s not even visible most of the time, only at high brightness against a white background, and I favour dark mode anyway). My point is that even with the bright spot I’d definitely recommend an Air 3 over the 7th gen if price isn’t an issue.

MisterBigMack

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Thanks very much for your replies guys - I opted for the 10.5gb iPad Pro - £430 for the 256gb I think is a pretty good price as would of gotten the iPad Air for the similar price and it would of been the 64gb model

I hope the pro-motion, speakers and cameras are worth it

Just need to find a case for it now! I’m looking at the Logitech slim combo - as I don’t really want to pay all that money for the Apple Smart Keyboard and Logitech one is a bit cheaper

Reactions: Ungibbed

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Thanks very much for your replies guys - I opted for the 10.5gb iPad Pro - £430 for the 256gb I think is a pretty good price as would of gotten the iPad Air for the similar price and it would of been the 64gb model

I hope the pro-motion, speakers and cameras are worth it
So, any first impressions from your side? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.