Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Obviously a bit late for those who have already purchased, but I've added subscription term mentions to the three apps in the bundle I see that have them...Parallels, Windscribe, and TextExpander.

Sorry that wasn't made clearer.

Reactions: CanadianGuy

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
I was aware of the subscription limitations but decided to buy this bundle anyway because I've been looking for a new budgeting program to replace the 32-bit YNAB4 which is not compatible with Catalina. Wasn't interested in moving to the new subscription YNAB. Banktivity is usually $70, so getting it for $36 plus a bunch of other random freebies didn't seem too bad. I can get some use out of the 2 years of Windscribe VPN, and probably a few of the other apps as well.

But I agree with everyone else. Unless you were very vigilant and read all of the fine print, it would have been easy to miss the fact that two of the most well-known apps in the bundle (Parallels, TextExpander) were only 1-year subscriptions. If it hadn't been for Banktivity meeting a specific need for me, I would not have even considered buying this bundle.

Edge

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
Obviously a bit late for those who have already purchased, but I've added subscription term mentions to the three apps in the bundle I see that have them...Parallels, Windscribe, and TextExpander.

Sorry that wasn't made clearer.
I am too. Sucked into paying for a Parallels subscription which was not indicated anywhere I saw on any page. And a bunch of software I don’t want.

This leaves a really nasty taste.

Morgon

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
which was not indicated anywhere I saw on any page.

I wholeheartedly agree that it should have been more prominent, but it was on the page; all the 'gotchas' are listed in the "Specs" tab of each included piece of software. Shady in itself, no doubt, but I have to disagree that it "was not indicated anywhere".

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
So you get Parallels at a discount - which after a year becomes an $80 subscription - and a bunch of other programs about as good as those we used to get on those shareware floppy disk that shipped with a copy of AOL.

S G

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Has anyone purchased this bundle yet?

I did, mainly for parallels, activation worked like a charm.. For RapidWeaver and Banktivity, both say the code provided is invalid. Ive reached out to StackSocial support and waiting their reply.. I haven't tried any of the other apps yet.

Just curious if this is a just me thing, or something more widespread.

I have the same issue - PDF Expert does not accept my code (invalid). No answer from support. Any luck? I hope it is not a scam...

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I've had one experience with the company, and will likely avoid them in the future.

The price was good, and the license worked, but the transaction was outside the norm of any online transaction I've ever done, completely unnecessary, and in the end, my was position validated by their eventual (non-) response.

A lot of sites have affiliate partnerships with SS, but the way they seem to operate doesn't inspire confidence.

S G

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
I have the same issue - PDF Expert does not accept my code (invalid). No answer from support. Any luck? I hope it is not a scam...
Support answered and sent me a functioning code, so it worked.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
I missed the 40% off code, but still thinking of doing this. The price is cheaper than upgrading Rapidweaver, which I use for my website, and I wouldn't mind tinkering with Parallels even if it is only for a year... and maybe in a year's time they'll have an offer for people who signed up with the subscription price–is that a stretch?

Edge

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
Rapidweaver – CODE INVALID
PDF Expert – CODE INVALID
Windscribe VPN - VOUCHER CODE INVALID
Live Home 3D - CODE INVALID

What a delightful scam so eagerly promoted by the thoughtful team at MacRumors.

Edit: In my disappointment at being misled about the Parallels subscription, it appears I missed the fact that all (except one) of my Redemption Emails from StackSocial contained incorrect codes, where the Order Page in My Account now shows working codes.

This has been a poorly thought-through process – from the deliberately-hidden subscription information, to the inaccurate redemption emails, to the facte that the Redemption links are no longer valid after 30 days. It is in keeping with the reviews around for StackSocial. I have previously enjoyed MacHeist bundles for obscure software I otherwise would not have purchased at full price – this is not that.

StackSocial should be avoided. In other words, buyer beware. If it's too cheap, then it's too good to be true. A fool and his money are soon parted. Fool me once, and I'm George Bush Jnr. The joke's on me.

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Rapidweaver – CODE INVALID
PDF Expert – CODE INVALID
Windscribe VPN - VOUCHER CODE INVALID
Live Home 3D - CODE INVALID

What a delightful scam so eagerly promoted by the throughtful team at MacRumors.

Sadly given what I've heard about StackSocial on the Intertubes, none of this surprises me.

I personally would never buy anything from them given what I've read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.