Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Homelesskitty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2016
Hello,

This afternoon after backing up enough data from my 1TB Samsung SSD, I decided I had enough free space to create two partitions. The idea being that I was going to use Disk Utility to create a clone of the boot partition to the empty one, and then clean install Sierra onto the boot partition and sift through the files I required on the cloned original, eventually getting rid of that and having all my files and a clean install of Sierra without too much fussing around with external HDs and USB sticks.

Anyway, after Disk Utility took and age to shrink the file system of the boot partition, I was left with a second partition empty, which I helpfully named to something similar to the boot partition.

Rebooted into restore mode, opened Disk Utility then annoyingly I “restored” the blank partition over the boot partition rather than the other way around because I’d named them too similarly. Now I’m left with two empty partitions, it didn’t give me much warning on data loss and was done in literally seconds.

My question is, what is the likelihood of retrieval of any of the data from the SSD in this situation? The restore was so fast it felt like it would have been the equivalent of a quick format, rather than writing zeros to every blank block on the SSD, so I’m not sure if it’s worth getting an external caddy etc and retrieval software and hooking it up to HFS compatible data retrieval software on my PC.

Any thoughts on whether this will just be a fool’s errand and I should just cut my losses?

Thanks in advance.

David

Homelesskitty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2016
Also this is a late 2011 MBP, non stock SSD, formerly running Sierra. Also, I can’t be sure if I bothered enabling trim on it, which I know might make a difference, and I haven’t touched the computer since just in case I interfere further with anything that may be salvageable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.