Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaiello

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
[doublepost=1526148157][/doublepost]Apple did replace my dead pencil but after a month or so that one also died. I threw it in the bin. Its a rubbish product. I was a big Apple fan but these days its hard to keep up the enthusiasm for todays batch of overpriced and underwhelming products.

Latest Update:
I finally spoke with someone competent at Apple support and they were able to verify and confirm that the $29 battery replacement fee is the same one that should be accepted in all Apple stores. They were apparently unaware of this price in-store and thus charging $79 for any pencils that are out of warranty.

I now feel better about not being stuck with a $99 plastic fake stylus and I am happy Apple offers this replacement $ amount on their website. I’ll also be very diligent and cross my fingers so that it just doesn’t crap out of me after the limited warranty - 90 days.

It looks like we’ll all have to deal with dead batteries after a year or two of use and just get used to the fact that they will be rendered useless afterwards. These are basically throwaway products.

P.S. you also cannot keep the Pencil connected to the wall charger and use it at the same time. The Dead Battery kept the Pencil from staying connected to the iPad.

TennHillsBoy

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2017
OK- all is forgiven and Apple is once again the best co. on earth. new pencils are in hand and working great. No Charge. So happy!
Thanks Apple for owning this! (still hate that I had to go through a few long, arduous calls to get there.. but so it is...)

How did you swing this? Is there a magic phrase to use when begging? Thanks!

Reactions: 1Coyote

xavriley

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
UK
In case it helps anyone else, I suspected a dead pencil. Tried everything - leaving it plugged in for hours, pairing, restarting the iPad, removing the tip, tightening the tip etc. Nothing worked.

I just now tried restarting the iPad *with the pencil still plugged in* and it's come back and what's more it's showing 100% charge. On the one hand I'm very happy but on the other this is a terrible user experience! I'm beginning to wish I'd gone with the pencil from 53 instead.

Anyway, I hope this works for others as well.

aaiello

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Interesting find
In case it helps anyone else, I suspected a dead pencil. Tried everything - leaving it plugged in for hours, pairing, restarting the iPad, removing the tip, tightening the tip etc. Nothing worked.

I just now tried restarting the iPad *with the pencil still plugged in* and it's come back and what's more it's showing 100% charge. On the one hand I'm very happy but on the other this is a terrible user experience! I'm beginning to wish I'd gone with the pencil from 53 instead.

Interesting find! I have a strange hunch that this will resolve several people’s issues as im quite certain in my case it was some sort of software glitch / stuck Pencil.

Anyways I wish I could attempt this myself but I ended up just paying the $29 for a new Apple Pencil replacement. I was finally able to have the Apple store honor the price that was showing on their website.. after several calls and complaints to Apple corporate.

I will keep this trick in mind the next time my Apple Pencil randomly decides to start acting up again.

Thanks!

Cheesybugger

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017

Didn’t work for me. I still have an expensive arse scratcher.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Good news, I actually fixed two apple pencils. They really need a big note on the box, that you must charge once a month or so or the internal battery will die and not charge. One I found where power was easily accessible and forced a charge bypassing the charging circuit then it started working and charging. The other had a bad ground connection on the - side of the battery and I was able to fix that. Now I just need to turn some really nice pencil shells on my lathe ;)

nottoohigh

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014

Oh you rock! Had exactly the same issues with the pencil (and had not used mine in many months), seemingly "dead" battery and wouldn't pair or be recognised by the iPad no matter what. Then tried your method and it worked! thanks so much!

vicwind

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2016
N. Vancouver
Just had my second pencil die. Lasted the same - about two weeks each. Using about 4 hours per day, pretty crappy quality. Getting the stylus 56 instead - half the cost and lasts 4-5 weeks on a charge, and comes with an eraser on the other end! Come on, Apple, I have loved you for so long!

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Just had my second pencil die. Lasted the same - about two weeks each. Using about 4 hours per day, pretty crappy quality. Getting the stylus 56 instead - half the cost and lasts 4-5 weeks on a charge, and comes with an eraser on the other end! Come on, Apple, I have loved you for so long!

Was this the first or second gen pencil?

vicwind

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2016
N. Vancouver
Got this one just over two weeks ago, not sure.
Update: tried the above trick and boom - back in business!
Restart with it plugged in works (iPad pro).
Still gonna grab the stylus 53, though!

Reactions: Arran

rafrafdesign

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2014
Apple, Apple.... bought 3 pencils, 2 are dead. One was replaced for free about a year ago, and the second one was my backup. Today I had to use it since I lost the first one. It was brand new, unused. But after 40 minutes trying to make it work, and another 40 minutes with Apple over the phone, I was told that it was out of warranty. Really, Apple? You make me sad how unreliable. And how you're standing on your BS, telling me that because it was unused for so long that is the reason why it doesn't work.
By the way, my 16 years old G4 laptop can still boot fine even after having been unused for 10 years...

vuninho

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
Got this one just over two weeks ago, not sure.
Update: tried the above trick and boom - back in business!
Restart with it plugged in works (iPad pro).
Still gonna grab the stylus 53, though!
I'm having the same problem. Did you leave your pen connected and plugged in before restart, or did you remove the bluetooth connection and left plugged in before restart?

RB1959

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
Mine rose from the dead after an IOS update a while back. No idea if that’s what fixed it or not but it was dead in its coffin in a kitchen drawer and I suddenly had a pop up on my iPad telling me the pencil battery needed charging. Mouth to mouth more like but I plugged it into the iPad and low and behold, it started charging and has worked ever since.

Heateris

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
SEPA

Thank you! This fix got my pencil to show back up. Thanks again.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA

Amazing. Your trick brought mine back from the dead too. Thanks.

I'd wasted hours trying all sorts of things to get it to pair. 24hr charging, throwing it at the wall, slamming it on the desk, bending the lightning connector (I discovered it's spring loaded, BTW. It gives if you use enough force but springs right back. Pretty indestructible.)

Anyway, that was months ago and I'd given up. I had no plans to pay $99 again.

And now it works!

Reactions: Heateris

SPDPS

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
It seems that Apple has a product with limited life and limited warranty. My apple pencil which was left unused from beginning died on me . Couldn't be charged, repaired, out of warranty and only thing todo is buy another defective product!

Firebladeboy

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
You will laugh but I had exactly this problem. No matter what I tried, my Apple Pen was dead after a few months being left uncharged.

Being a McGyver type, I wondered how it could be "jump-started". The answer was to GENTLY heat the pen up THEN charge it! Next thing I knew it was charging and connecting via Bluetooth. A hair-dryer or hot air gun is the safest for this. DON'T melt it, just hot to the touch, then charge immediately.

Obviously, this will nullify any warranty and don't blame me for any damage done as I accept no responsibility. This is at your own risk!!

mikinoz

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2020
Perth, Australia

Awesome help! Thank you!

After having used it reliably for years my Apple Pencil seemed dead today with no warning, and I was convinced it had turned up it's toes ... tried everything that was mentioned above, with restarting, charging separately; until reading this thread and trying to restart my iPad with the pencil plugged in. Worked again immediately with a pairing request upon logging into the iPad... :)

Thanks again xavriley for the tip!

HannaLee

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2020

Hey will you please elaborate " restarting the iPad". I have same problem I tried all things from restarting to rebooting and all what you mentioned ,also update to new ios still my pencil is not showing in ipad.

Trev888

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
This just worked for me - in iPad Bluetooth settings (MY DEVICES) click on the i symbol beside your Apple Pencil and 'Forget This Device', then repair. Huzzar!

Reactions: LibbyLA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.