Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patwithamac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
I've got a 2018 15 inch Core i9, 32GB, 2TB.
After upgrading to Catalina a few weeks back, I've been greeted with a message essentially saying "We couldn't find a keyboard and mouse" (see attached screen-shot) when I open the lid, after it's been asleep for over night.
This doesn't happen all the time. But, it's happened three times.

When it does happen, I open the lid, I unlock with my finger print, and the keyboard and trackpad are completely dead (the keyboard backlight isn't even illuminated). I can't type anything, nor move the mouse pointer via the trackpad. After a few seconds, I see this message, as seen in the attached screen-shot, saying;

"Bluetooth Mouse or Trackpad Setup

There isn't a wireless mouse or trackpad connected.

Looking for a wireless mouse or trackpad. If one is found it will be connected to your computer. Check you cables if you expect to use a USB mouse. If you don't want to set up a mouser or trackpad, press Command-Q to Quit.

If you are attempting to use a wireless mouse or trackpad and it isn't found, make sure it is turned on and "discoverable." If you are using an Apple wireless mouse or trackpad, turn on your mouse or trackpad. If you are trying to use a non-Apple wireless mouse or trackpad, see the documentation tat came with the mouse or trackpad"

The first time this happened I had no other option but to forcefully power down (holding the power button for 10 seconds) and then reboot. On subsequent occurrences, I've found that if I merely shut the lid, wait a few minutes, and then open the lid again, the keyboard and trackpad will spring to back to life. The last time, it took several close/open attempts.

Is anyone else seeing this, since upgrading to Catalina?

It's still too early to tell, but I just installed the 10.15.1 update yesterday, so maybe there's an undocumented fix for this in there.
I'll keep you posed if the keyboard continues to malfunction over the coming weeks, after the 10.15.1 update.

EDIT: After doing some more targeted searches I found this old thread with folks reporting this way back in the Catalina beta days. Anyone seeing it on post-Golden-Master Catalina?

Attachments

• IMG_20191101_173528.jpg
    IMG_20191101_173528.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 783
Last edited:

tbjohnson

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2019
I've got a 2018 15 inch Core i9, 32GB, 2TB.
After upgrading to Catalina a few weeks back, I've been greeted with a message essentially saying "We couldn't find a keyboard and mouse" (see attached screen-shot) when I open the lid, after it's been asleep for over night.
This doesn't happen all the time. But, it's happened three times.

When it does happen, I open the lid, I unlock with my finger print, and the keyboard and trackpad are completely dead (the keyboard backlight isn't even illuminated). I can't type anything, nor move the mouse pointer via the trackpad. After a few seconds, I see this message, as seen in the attached screen-shot, saying;

"Bluetooth Mouse or Trackpad Setup

There isn't a wireless mouse or trackpad connected.

Looking for a wireless mouse or trackpad. If one is found it will be connected to your computer. Check you cables if you expect to use a USB mouse. If you don't want to set up a mouser or trackpad, press Command-Q to Quit.

If you are attempting to use a wireless mouse or trackpad and it isn't found, make sure it is turned on and "discoverable." If you are using an Apple wireless mouse or trackpad, turn on your mouse or trackpad. If you are trying to use a non-Apple wireless mouse or trackpad, see the documentation tat came with the mouse or trackpad"

The first time this happened I had no other option but to forcefully power down (holding the power button for 10 seconds) and then reboot. On subsequent occurrences, I've found that if I merely shut the lid, wait a few minutes, and then open the lid again, the keyboard and trackpad will spring to back to life. The last time, it took several close/open attempts.

Is anyone else seeing this, since upgrading to Catalina?

It's still too early to tell, but I just installed the 10.15.1 update yesterday, so maybe there's an undocumented fix for this in there.
I'll keep you posed if the keyboard continues to malfunction over the coming weeks, after the 10.15.1 update.

EDIT: After doing some more targeted searches I found this old thread with folks reporting this way back in the Catalina beta days. Anyone seeing it on post-Golden-Master Catalina?
I've got the same issues with my 2018 i9 32GB 1TB. It happens multiple times a day.

• Wow
Reactions: me55

patwithamac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Been running on 10.15.1 for some time now... Just opened the lid on my MBP to find the keyboard and trackpad dead again.
So, maybe it's appearance since upgrading to Catalina is just a coincidence, and this is actually a hardware problem.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Yes, this happens randomly to me, still on 10.15.0/.1 ( indeed I see found thread where I reported it before). Sometimes multiple times a day, other times not at all for a few weeks. They seem to return within few minutes usually if machine is put back to sleep when stop working.

The devices vanish off usb bus, though I haven't got the no keyboard or mouse dialog, oddly. Are you using touch id or not? I can still unlock mine with touch id when it happens, but dialog doesn't come up.

Report them in feedback app, more reports get the more someone may actually look into it..

and I very much suspect the Catalina upgrade, as the keyboard goes through the T2 chip, which had a big firmware revision on catalina. Though why it isn't happening to everyone, I don't know.. much like the T2 ibridge crashes only happening to some. ( this has never been an issue on mine )

Last edited:

patwithamac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
...Are you using touch id or not? I can still unlock mine with touch id when it happens, but dialog doesn't come up.

Yes, the touch id works, and so does the touch bar. But the keyboard and trackpad are dead.
I can usually tell that this has happened... when I open the lid, as the MBP comes out of sleep, the keyboard backlight doesn't illuminate (like it normally does).

Report them in feedback app, more reports get the more someone may actually look into it..

Yup, I've submitted my feedback at;

and I very much suspect the Catalina upgrade, as the keyboard goes through the T2 chip, which had a big firmware revision on catalina. Though why it isn't happening to everyone, I don't know.. much like the T2 ibridge crashes only happening to some. ( this has never been an issue on mine )

Yes, this feels like a Catalina induced bug to me too. No problems for nearly a year on Mojave. Then, bang, all of sudden it started happening after Catalina upgrade.

Perhaps it's happening more widely than we know. But people are just feeling so defeated by Apple's apathetic, arrogant, reaction to customer feedback, that they just don't even waste time submitting feedback any more.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
I'm pretty certain that this is caused by VMWare Fusion. Other threads here and on VMWare's Fusion forum.

Is this happening to anyone NOT running Fusion?

Not sure if 10.15.2 has changed this (harder to prove a negative)

joshen

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2019 13". It happens almost every time I open the lid, and it might take anywhere between 10 seconds and a minute in order for the keyboard and trackpad to become responsive. I do have VMWare Fusion installed (never running though).

TomA

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
I have the same problem. Wake by opening the lid->locked up for 30 seconds->No Bluetooth Keyboard Detected for 30 seconds->MPB finally detects a keyboard.

Saurabh Ahuja Adv

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2020
I am facing same problem with my MBP 2019 CATALINA 10.15.5. Moreover I usually when I open LID keyboard and Trackpad takes 2-3 Secs before it becomes responsive and MAC is getting over heated even running basis programs.
I think there is a manufacturing defect with ALL MBP AND MBA with 2019 as I facing heating issue with my MBA 2019 and prior to 2019 I have MBP and MBA without any heating issue

Usama Ahmad

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
Hello
i also have this issue with my 2020 macbook pro 13 inch with 4 ports
ive had it for about 2 weeks and i noticed this a few days in to my purchase.

pressing the touch id button after opening the lid seems to wake the trackpad and keyboard fine.

issue defiantly seems linked to wifi somehow, doesn't happen when wifi is turned off.
only happens when wifi is on

if anyone has a solution , please do let me know

im running 10.15.5

there are currently no pending updates

2 of my friends with macbooks also seem to have this issue

one of them has the 15 inch 2019 core i9 version
one of them has the 2019 13 inch core i5 version

Think

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2007
2 of my friends with macbooks also seem to have this issue

one of them has the 15 inch 2019 core i9 version
one of them has the 2019 13 inch core i5 version

Happening to me too - 2020 Macbook pro 16 base. Had it for 48 hours and it has exhibited this problem as well as kernel panicked twice due to an error transitioning into sleep. The only thing I have done is install omnifocus, omnigraffle, omnioutliner and let it install pending updates. Nothing else, not even web browsing.

This experience is vastly different than that of the last mac I bought in ~2015. I hope this isn't the new normal for apple quality.

Reactions: asv56kx3088

evoleadr

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
Hey guys, Catalina 10.15.7
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020)
Im not running VM ware. Ive noticed since its birth there is a big delay on keyboard/mouse wake compared to older models.
And sometimes, this delay turns into keyboard not detected etc. if i leave it long enough...it then detects it. or shut lid, wait then open. Can find very little of this online though, not many threads and no word from apple.
Anyone had any luck with them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.