Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sman789

Customer Support
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
poster-death-stranding-homenageia-metal-gear-solid-760x428.png

I'm a little too excited. I've put in the pre-order a few weeks ago then tried to avoid anything about it, for the sake of not ruining the experience.

Then the final trailer came out and my Google news feed starting pouring in the reviews :eek:.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Still not sure about this UPS-simulator. I've been keeping my eyes on this game since the first trailer, and I've always been in doubt. I'm going to wait for it to be discounted and play it afterwards, won't miss a lot since it's a singleplayer game anyway. Just make sure you all leave loads of ladders and stuff for me ;-)

Reactions: Weaselboy

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The lack of marketing for this game is dumbfounding. It’s been in the works for the better part of 5/6 years, and I’ve hardly seen anything on this for a release. I think this particular type of game is only going to appeal to a specific type of gamer who really understands Hideo Kojimas background from how he portrayed the Metal Gear series. I mean, I’m sure it will be successful in its own right, but I think the initial plot and trailers are not very intuitive, it’s almost kind of confusing for the gamer to figure out if this is something that they should purchase on ‘day one’ or wait until they can find a decent used copy.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The lack of marketing for this game is dumbfounding.
I've seen lots of commercials and advertisements for this? It always seems to be at the forefront of gamers desire. I think there is a pent up demand for this. Ads help get the word out, for those people willing to spend 60 dollars on a game, they are already aware and don't need any convincing.

Reactions: sman789

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think this particular type of game is only going to appeal to a specific type of gamer who really understands Hideo Kojimas background from how he portrayed the Metal Gear series.
That is the main reason I bought it. The reviews look middling, but I liked Metal Gear so much and Kojimas's style, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That is the main reason I bought it. The reviews look middling, but I liked Metal Gear so much and Kojimas's style, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Hideo Kojimas gameplay is so different from any other game out there with the elements of an RPG, I Think those who will find Death stranding appealing, also are those who are fans of the Metal gear series over the years. So I suspect that Fanbase alone will probably really like this game, but I think the obscurity behind what this game is really about can make it confusing to the gamer who’s not sure about purchasing it. Usually I’m a ‘day one’ purchaser for most titles that I know I want, but I think I might hold off for a bit.

But do share your thoughts on overall what you think initially after you become acclimated to it. It’s on my radar, critic reviews really don’t do it any justice for me, I prefer user reviews.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Has a metacritic score of 83.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/death-stranding?ref=hp

That's generally a great score although actual reviews range from 100 to 35. Sounds like a very divisive game which means some are going to love it while others hate it. I've always been a Kojima fan so confidence is high I'll enjoy the game. I doubt it will go on sale anytime soon, but I'm going to wait until Black Friday anyway just to see.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
Looks like a style over substance sort of game. The tailer makes the story sound pretentiously convoluted. Could be the fault of the trailer. See what reviews from users are like.

sman789

Customer Support
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'm only ~6 hours in and enjoying it a lot. I knew I would love the storytelling but wasn't sure of the gameplay. It's basically you vs the landscape instead of fighting enemies or monsters (though there are things of that sort in the game), which is a fantastic concept.

You could compare them to the Souls game. They're challenging and not for everyone but super fulfilling when to accomplish a goal. Who knew a walking simulator could be so great.

sman789

Customer Support
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Just saw an advertisement during SportsCenter this morning. Pretty sure 95% of the viewers were like "What the heck?"

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I’ve been watching the reviews pretty closely on this game from users, _not_ critics. And I’m finding that most are basically saying it’s a walking simulator where you essentially traverse and deliver packages/items to certain drop points with mixed cut scenes. Now, I’m sure there’s much more content to this based off what others are saying. Hideo is always known to insert diverse thematic events for cut scenes, which have always been very well done with the Metal gear series, which is really telling a story in itself. But the gameplay itself for Death Stranding seems like it’s actually not a game at all, it’s more of a journey that opens up to different venues and characters.

I’m not knocking this game at all, just giving my brief observations based off reading dozens of user reviews, but I will say this, if there was one game that really has me on the fence of what to do, Death Stranding has my interest piqued and yet, I may hold off on this one momentarily.

Reactions: TopherMan12

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
So I’ve been watching the reviews pretty closely on this game from users, _not_ critics. And I’m finding that most are basically saying it’s a walking simulator where you essentially traverse and deliver packages/items to certain drop points with mixed cut scenes. Now, I’m sure there’s much more content to this based off what others are saying. Hideo is always known to insert diverse thematic events for cut scenes, which have always been very well done with the Metal gear series, which is really telling a story in itself. But the gameplay itself for Death Stranding seems like it’s actually not a game at all, it’s more of a journey that opens up to different venues and characters.

I’m not knocking this game at all, just giving my brief observations based off reading dozens of user reviews, but I will say this, if there was one game that really has me on the fence of what to do, Death Stranding has my interest piqued and yet, I may hold off on this one momentarily.

I'm seeing much of the same. At this point I'm definitely waiting for it to go on sale. I've got too many other games on my backlog at this point anyway.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I've played ~3 hours and I love it so far. Just make sure you play it in a dark room with no distractions and, ideally, with a decent pair of headphones or good sound system. It's such a beautiful game. I'm really looking forward to playing more.

It's funny that Kojima apparently said something along the lines of it not getting as good reviews in the US because it's not a shooter. While it's a bit of a blanket statement, I can kind of see where he's coming from (if he did indeed say that; I haven't read more into it). When I was talking to my wife about it recently I was explaining how it seems to be really polarising and I think it's because it's so different to everything else out there (regardless of the US thing). I can see how, to some people, it's a boring and slow game, especially if you're used to playing Call of Duty or something like that. That's totally fine, though, as it's not for everyone but I personally think it's great. It's really nice to have a game with a slower pace than what I'm used to playing.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I preordered two Collector's Editions back in August, one from Amazon and one from Best Buy, and neither of them came through for me. Best Buy said it was shipping it on the 6th for arrival on the 8th. When it didn't arrive, I called them and found out they apparently sold me inventory they didn't even have. Amazon just shipped their copy, but it won't arrive until tomorrow.

I ended up finding a single copy available at a Best Buy about an hour from my house, and ended up driving there on Saturday to get it. I'm only on Chapter 3: Fragile, but am loving the game so far. My only complaint is that the BTs are a real pain in the ass, and I hope there are better weapons down the line to fight them other than the hematic grenades.

Reactions: sman789

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm seeing much of the same. At this point I'm definitely waiting for it to go on sale. I've got too many other games on my backlog at this point anyway.

My back log is massive. (Finish Red Dead 2, Days Gone, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Rage 2, No Mans Sky). I don’t see myself adding Death Stranding to the lineup, Plus we have Cyberpunk 2077, Doom Eternal And The Last of Us 2 arriving for 2020 , I’ve got a lot of ground to clear over the next 5 months.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
My back log is massive. (Finish Red Dead 2, Days Gone, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Rage 2, No Mans Sky). I don’t see myself adding Death Stranding to the lineup, Plus we have Cyberpunk 2077, Doom Eternal And The Last of Us 2 arriving for 2020 , I’ve got a lot of ground to clear over the next 5 months.

Got to love the amount of awesome games that are getting released these days... It used to be like two a year and now they're so numerous it's getting near impossible to play them all... #FirstWorldProblems #GamerLife

Reactions: Hakiroto

sman789

Customer Support
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'm usually not one to explore or try to do all the side quests but I find myself wanting to do all the delivery orders and pick up lost cargo.

Minor spoiler (in chapter 3) I just got a truck. It's the ultimate weapon against MULEs lol.

sman789

Customer Support
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Is that the graphics? Looks to real...

If it is, I can't even fathom the "Graphics Update" for the PS5, or even the sequel on it...

:eek:
There are some stunning visuals in the game. I did some hiking yesterday and scaled down a 100m cliff and then walked around the area to find a beautiful waterfall.

Death Stranding will be released on PC next year. I can't wait to see how that looks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.