Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I upgrade my phone?

• Yes. Get iPhone 11 64GB.

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Yes. Get iPhone 11 128GB.

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • No. Just wait for iPhone 11s/12.

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters

Hekate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2018
Hello, there!

With the iPhone 11 now out and about, I begin considering whether or not I should upgrade my iPhone.

I am currently using iPhone 6s 64GB.
4 years already with this phone. It still works well except a bit lag here and there; maybe the bug-fest ios 13 could be one of the factors.

Why now?
Well I just never have any interest in upgrading before the iPhone 11. I just don’t feel the ones before 11 were “worth” the upgrade. I love the aux jack and the home button. But I am currently able to move on and face the airpods and face ID. And well, 6s’ camera sucks lol.

I’m thinking of buying iPhone 11 128GB. But still contemplating on the 64GB. I use iCloud storage and even my current 64GB phone still has 22GB available even after 4 years of usage. But it only costs additional USD50 from 64 to 128 haha. So I’m tempted.

No. Not considering the iPhone 11 Pro and Max since, well, money lol. And I don’t need that high of a spec phone.

So, why not buy it?
The rumors about the no-notch iPhone 12 in 2020 is bothering me haha. Cause if that’s true, I’d kick myself in the ass.

And also the 5G support. Not that my country will be able to support 5G any time soon (fastest by 2021), but since I want to use this iPhone 11 for the next 4-5 years, I don’t want to miss out on the 5G support.

Will the upgrade in 2020 really that big? Cause if yes, then I need to wait another year lol.

Last but not least...
I need your help. Should I upgrade or wait another year?

a. Yes. Get iPhone 11 64GB.
b. Yes. Get iPhone 11 128GB.
c. No. Just wait for iPhone 11s/12.

Please share your insights!
Thanks a lot in advance ♥️

Reactions: Tsepz

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Hello, there!

With the iPhone 11 now out and about, I begin considering whether or not I should upgrade my iPhone.

I am currently using iPhone 6s 64GB.
4 years already with this phone. It still works well except a bit lag here and there; maybe the bug-fest ios 13 could be one of the factors.

Why now?
Well I just never have any interest in upgrading before the iPhone 11. I just don’t feel the ones before 11 were “worth” the upgrade. I love the aux jack and the home button. But I am currently able to move on and face the airpods and face ID. And well, 6s’ camera sucks lol.

I’m thinking of buying iPhone 11 128GB. But still contemplating on the 64GB. I use iCloud storage and even my current 64GB phone still has 22GB available even after 4 years of usage. But it only costs additional USD50 from 64 to 128 haha. So I’m tempted.

No. Not considering the iPhone 11 Pro and Max since, well, money lol. And I don’t need that high of a spec phone.

So, why not buy it?
The rumors about the no-notch iPhone 12 in 2020 is bothering me haha. Cause if that’s true, I’d kick myself in the ass.

And also the 5G support. Not that my country will be able to support 5G any time soon (fastest by 2021), but since I want to use this iPhone 11 for the next 4-5 years, I don’t want to miss out on the 5G support.

Will the upgrade in 2020 really that big? Cause if yes, then I need to wait another year lol.

Last but not least...
I need your help. Should I upgrade or wait another year?

a. Yes. Get iPhone 11 64GB.
b. Yes. Get iPhone 11 128GB.
c. No. Just wait for iPhone 11s/12.

Please share your insights!
Thanks a lot in advance ♥

I personally think that if you have held on to 6s for so long, you would do much better to hold it on just a little while longer and get yourself a 5G iPhone that might be coming next year. Alternatively, get yourself a new iPhone today and wait for 5G to roll out in your country and mature, and then get a new iPhone some years down the line when you feel like.

Even if you wait for a 5G iPhone till next year, you'd be using 4G if your country has not deployed 5G by next year. Better to buy a 4G phone today and use it for 3-4 years (if you really, really need a new iPhone today).

With regards to a no-notch iPhone, that would be an eventuality at some point, yes. So, in the future, you will be buying a no-notch iPhone some day, when 5G also becomes the norm. The current iPhone 11 with 4G is a very good, well-rounded iDevice that will serve you for as long as you want to keep it.

The only thing with waiting is that per chance Apple does not release a phone with 5G next year, then it will release it in 2021, and I don't know if you would want to wait 2 years from today for a new iPhone. :p If you do not need a new iPhone today, and you can wait for 2 years, then you really should.

But if you are getting seriously tempted, it might be better to just get an 11 today and use it for 3-4 years while display and connectivity technology matures for you to get a no-notch iPhone with 5G. Peace of mind for 4 years is better than waiting on a new iPhone for 2 years.

Reactions: Hekate

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I have an iPhone 6S also and I'm looking to upgrade as well. My battery is showing its age as I more regularly have to recharge "on the go" with a portable battery and USB cable. My phone battery almost never lasts the full day anymore. But i just don't know if I can't justify the price of a new phone. It's even more expensive here in Canada compared to the already expensive US prices. I've thought of buying a used iPhone XS online but we'll see. I like the XS size more than the XR or 11 size.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
64 GB iPhone 11 (I have a 64Gb XR, upgraded from a 7):
  • The camera will make you very happy. It’ll be a huge upgrade from the 6s to the 11
  • Its speed
  • Screen size is a huge improvement over the 4.7 phones. It’s a big difference.
  • Battery life is great. I mean really great.
  • You’ll get used to the change in size and no home button in just a few hours
  • 5g won’t be a big thing until 2021-22 for most.

Last edited:

Virgilinsanity

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2014
UK
Just upgraded from a 6S to an 11 128 GB. I’m amazed at the improvements and am really enjoying the experience of using it. Facial recognition works flawlessly and the camera upgrade is very noticeable, especially portrait mode. I thought the larger size might feel cumbersome, but it feels just right. The screen is also a big step up too. My weekly screen time has soared since owning it. ?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
To spice things up just a bit more, the next year's phones might have in-screen fingerprint recognition as well as Face ID. Best of both worlds.
[automerge]1575620218[/automerge]
Just upgraded from a 6S to an 11 128 GB. I’m amazed at the improvements and am really enjoying the experience of using it. Facial recognition works flawlessly and the camera upgrade is very noticeable, especially portrait mode. I thought the larger size might feel cumbersome, but it feels just right. The screen is also a big step up too. My weekly screen time has soared since owning it. ?

Hey, I am trying to hold on to my 8 for dear life. These things are incredibly expensive in my country (don't know why, duties or just Apple) and I am telling myself to not plunge into purchasing an 11. Don't tempt... :p

11 is a really good device. Better than X and Xs were (to come from 8). Now the improvements have become more than the screen and possibility of an additional SIM. Really like the package that is the 11.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
The 2020 iPhones will be released at the end of September next year so you’ve still got like 10 months to wait yet.

I too wasn’t sure about waiting or not for an SE2 but I decided if it was going to be a recycled iPhone 8 so I’ll need to get use to a big phone I might as well jump to an 11.

I have an iPhone 11, 64GB with 50GB iCloud storage for £0.79 a month. The same might be great for you, it might not.

But think about it like this, waiting until next year is another year with, as you put it a camera that sucks... ?

Just go for it!

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
The 2020 iPhones will be released at the end of September next year so you’ve still got like 10 months to wait yet.

I too wasn’t sure about waiting or not for an SE2 but I decided if it was going to be a recycled iPhone 8 so I’ll need to get use to a big phone I might as well jump to an 11.

I have an iPhone 11, 64GB with 50GB iCloud storage for £0.79 a month. The same might be great for you, it might not.

But think about it like this, waiting until next year is another year with, as you put it a camera that sucks... ?

Just go for it!

To be fair, that camera does not suck until it is compared with the ones that came after it. It is still a decent camera for capturing life's moments simply.

murad_fourth

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2019
I would choose the iPhone 11 64 GB if i was you, since the rumors say that the next iPhone models will come with smaller notch (not notchless).

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
Go with the 128 iPhone 11. The new phones aren’t released until 3/4 of the way through the year and you’ll be stuck with that one until then

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Why isn't the iPhone 8/8+ a choice??? IMO, better experience, home button, and guess what? No ugly distracting notch. You will not notice any differences in performance using an iPhone 11. The iphone 8's A11 chip is very good.

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Why isn't the iPhone 8/8+ a choice??? IMO, better experience, home button, and guess what? No ugly distracting notch. You will not notice any differences in performance using an iPhone 11. The iphone 8's A11 chip is very good.

Agree. Have the 8 plus 64 and now iPhone 11 (Got it for 14 days Ago)

Besides the design difference between 8 plus and 11 the only you miss is the camera. And the 8 plus camera is still good.

That’s if you want to save some money.

Just my 2 cents.

Frank

Reactions: MattMJB0188

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I have an iPhone 6S also and I'm looking to upgrade as well. My battery is showing its age as I more regularly have to recharge "on the go" with a portable battery and USB cable. My phone battery almost never lasts the full day anymore. But i just don't know if I can't justify the price of a new phone. It's even more expensive here in Canada compared to the already expensive US prices. I've thought of buying a used iPhone XS online but we'll see. I like the XS size more than the XR or 11 size.
The advantage of there being so many bricks and mortar Apple stores is you can get a battery replacement while you wait. Much cheaper than a new phone and worthwhile to get you through another year.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Didn't even read whole post... From your first few sentences it sounds like iPhone SE2/9 would be better suited for your preferences.

You've waited this long, might as well wait until March 2020.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
You already know the answer but you're fighting it. When somebody really wants something, they already know it and certainly don't need to ask for anyone else's opinion. Since you're toying with the idea of getting a new iPhone, you're only in the toying stage. There's more to go until you're absolutely certain you want to get rid of your 6S. Wait until you're sick of it. Then you'll know.
And yes, iOS 13 has made your 6S unpleasant to use (surprise!). Apple always does this to older iPhones. When you buy them they're zippy fast (the 6S was a very fast phone) but after a few iOS updates it gets slower & slower until it becomes aggravating. Not much has changed with iOS since iOS 9 except eye candy fluff, yet the upgrades continue to bog down older iPhones with every iteration.

Reactions: Hekate and yedos

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
The advantage of there being so many bricks and mortar Apple stores is you can get a battery replacement while you wait. Much cheaper than a new phone and worthwhile to get you through another year.

I doubt Apple would replace a battery for an iPhone 6S given how old it is now. Why is it better to wait another year?

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
They do, for free if you have Applecare, or for $50.

Hmm well in any case it just seems like there's always those who say "wait another year" cause the next iPhone will be so much better what the current one is. Thing is that will always be the case that each new phone is better than the last one. I person could wait forever for the "perfect" phone. If I were to get a new one now I'd likely get the XR which would be more than enough for me. However I do prefer the size of the XS/11 Pro better but it's too expensive.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Wait. Apple rumours are apple will be releasing the cheaper phones in spring and the pros in September.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Sounds like you've sensibly thought this through.

With regards to deciding on memory, despite you having 22GB free currently, once you upgrade, chances are you may need that 22GB, especially over the 4-5 years you plan on holding onto the phone for.

If I were you, i'd wait until next year - if latest rumours are true, you'll have much more of a choice, especially in your price range. Besides, you've held onto the 6S for this long, so it'd be best to invest in an iPhone that's going to be a significant upgrade over current gen, which the 2020 is meant to be...So it should keep you happy for the next 4-5 years.

5G is something you'd want in that time, so it's another reason why someone who holds onto their phones for years should invest in a 5G phone.

& if you're not happy with the 2020 offerings, then you can always pick up the iPhone 11 cheap.

Wait. Apple rumours are apple will be releasing the cheaper phones in spring and the pros in September.

That cycle's meant to begin in 2021.

The iPhone rumoured for release early in 2020 is the new SE iirc.

6S is the last version with a head phone jack. All the successors have the design flaw of no head phone jack.
OP says they're ready to move on from the headphone jack.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.