Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I upgrade my phone?

• Yes. Get iPhone 11 64GB.

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Yes. Get iPhone 11 128GB.

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • No. Just wait for iPhone 11s/12.

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I doubt Apple would replace a battery for an iPhone 6S given how old it is now. Why is it better to wait another year?
Originally you said you have to charge your phone multiple times a day so a new battery would fix that issue at least for the short term. Do you know Apple doesn't do repairs/batteries for older phones?

Also you said your not sure you can justify the price for a new phone. Again if your 6s is in good condition and does everything you need then a new battery also solves the issue and would last at least another 12 months. Unless your desire for a newer product is the over-riding factor in your decision making.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Of course it’s a personal decision. For me, I have a perfectly working X.

I will wait until 2020 and hope the modems and reception are better. I tried 2 different XS Max phones In 2018 6 weeks apart and couldn’t get decent reception. Cellular, LTE, WiFi and Bluetooth were all way worse, to the point where I spent more time trying to catch a signal or reconnecting than using the actual phone.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Originally you said you have to charge your phone multiple times a day so a new battery would fix that issue at least for the short term. Do you know Apple doesn't do repairs/batteries for older phones?

Also you said your not sure you can justify the price for a new phone. Again if your 6s is in good condition and does everything you need then a new battery also solves the issue and would last at least another 12 months. Unless your desire for a newer product is the over-riding factor in your decision making.

Well my 6S works decently but I also don't have iOS 13 on it. I'm still on iOS 12. But I didn't think that the iPhone was very serviceable. I didn't think they could just take it apart and put a new battery in and put it back together. Why would Apple still have batteries in their inventory for a four year old phone?

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
The 6s is quite old now, personally i would upgrade right away. It's another 10 months until iPhone 12. (If Apple sticks to their annual September Release.)

So yes, get the iPhone 11 128 GB. Or 64 GB if you do not need more storage but i think for an additional 50$ it's justified to get 128 GB instead. You never know, maybe you need the extra storage one day.

Otherwise - if you really can wait - keep the 6s and wait for the 12. But honestly, the differences between the 6s and the 11 are already huge - even the 6s to 8 (or X) was a noticeable upgrade, you just lose the headphone jack, but that goes for any iPhone newer than 6s obviously. I upgraded my 6s last year (got the 8 Plus), and i have not looked back ever since. But that's me, you need to decide whether it's worth it or not.

Also:

If you like the 4.7" form factor that your 6s has, wait until March 2020 when Apple releases a new SE with the form factor of the iPhone 8 which has the home button, but no headphone jack. I think waiting another 4 months is OK, but waiting another 10 months? iPhone 11 is a really solid phone, so i'd say go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hekate

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hello, there!

With the iPhone 11 now out and about, I begin considering whether or not I should upgrade my iPhone.

I am currently using iPhone 6s 64GB.
4 years already with this phone. It still works well except a bit lag here and there; maybe the bug-fest ios 13 could be one of the factors.

Why now?
Well I just never have any interest in upgrading before the iPhone 11. I just don’t feel the ones before 11 were “worth” the upgrade. I love the aux jack and the home button. But I am currently able to move on and face the airpods and face ID. And well, 6s’ camera sucks lol.

I’m thinking of buying iPhone 11 128GB. But still contemplating on the 64GB. I use iCloud storage and even my current 64GB phone still has 22GB available even after 4 years of usage. But it only costs additional USD50 from 64 to 128 haha. So I’m tempted.

No. Not considering the iPhone 11 Pro and Max since, well, money lol. And I don’t need that high of a spec phone.

So, why not buy it?
The rumors about the no-notch iPhone 12 in 2020 is bothering me haha. Cause if that’s true, I’d kick myself in the ass.

And also the 5G support. Not that my country will be able to support 5G any time soon (fastest by 2021), but since I want to use this iPhone 11 for the next 4-5 years, I don’t want to miss out on the 5G support.

Will the upgrade in 2020 really that big? Cause if yes, then I need to wait another year lol.

Last but not least...
I need your help. Should I upgrade or wait another year?

a. Yes. Get iPhone 11 64GB.
b. Yes. Get iPhone 11 128GB.
c. No. Just wait for iPhone 11s/12.

Please share your insights!
Thanks a lot in advance

Option C

You say you want to use the phone for 4-5years then rather wait for the 2020 iPhones with the 5nm efficient A14 chip that includes a 5G Qualcomm modem. Those phones should do 4-5 years easily much like the iPhone 5 which was the first 4G LTE iPhone and saw support for a very longtime with many sticking with it for ~5years.

In the meantime get a new battery for your iPhone 6S, it’s probably lagging because the battery maybe under 80% capacity after this many years of charge cycles.

Reactions: Hekate

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Well my 6S works decently but I also don't have iOS 13 on it. I'm still on iOS 12. But I didn't think that the iPhone was very serviceable. I didn't think they could just take it apart and put a new battery in and put it back together. Why would Apple still have batteries in their inventory for a four year old phone?
I'm not here to convince you either way. You do you, it was just a suggestion which, as you've made your mind up, doesn't warranty any further replies.

I'm getting a new battery for my 3yr old iphone 7 plus with Apple. Guess I'm lucky Apple planned for repairs for years........?

Last edited:

Hekate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2018
Why isn't the iPhone 8/8+ a choice??? IMO, better experience, home button, and guess what? No ugly distracting notch. You will not notice any differences in performance using an iPhone 11. The iphone 8's A11 chip is very good.
Agree. Have the 8 plus 64 and now iPhone 11 (Got it for 14 days Ago)

Besides the design difference between 8 plus and 11 the only you miss is the camera. And the 8 plus camera is still good.

That’s if you want to save some money.

Just my 2 cents.

Frank

Not going to deny that iPhone 8/8+ is still one heck of a good phone. It's even used as the default phone for several PUBG e-Sport Teams in my country. The 3D touch sure as hell makes it easier to control the recoil. Not to mention the price is cheap and the performance is still considerably good.

But I just don't think it's worth the upgrade from my 6s since I'm going to use it 4-5 years from NOW. If I bought it during its launching period, I wouldn't want to upgrade it just yet. But to buy it now, I just don't think it will last till 2024. You know how Apple is when it comes to iOS and older phones haha.

Thank you for the insights! Very much appreciated.
Much love ?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Hello, there!

With the iPhone 11 now out and about, I begin considering whether or not I should upgrade my iPhone.

I am currently using iPhone 6s 64GB.
4 years already with this phone. It still works well except a bit lag here and there; maybe the bug-fest ios 13 could be one of the factors.

Why now?
Well I just never have any interest in upgrading before the iPhone 11. I just don’t feel the ones before 11 were “worth” the upgrade. I love the aux jack and the home button. But I am currently able to move on and face the airpods and face ID. And well, 6s’ camera sucks lol.

I’m thinking of buying iPhone 11 128GB. But still contemplating on the 64GB. I use iCloud storage and even my current 64GB phone still has 22GB available even after 4 years of usage. But it only costs additional USD50 from 64 to 128 haha. So I’m tempted.

No. Not considering the iPhone 11 Pro and Max since, well, money lol. And I don’t need that high of a spec phone.

So, why not buy it?
The rumors about the no-notch iPhone 12 in 2020 is bothering me haha. Cause if that’s true, I’d kick myself in the ass.

And also the 5G support. Not that my country will be able to support 5G any time soon (fastest by 2021), but since I want to use this iPhone 11 for the next 4-5 years, I don’t want to miss out on the 5G support.

Will the upgrade in 2020 really that big? Cause if yes, then I need to wait another year lol.

Last but not least...
I need your help. Should I upgrade or wait another year?

a. Yes. Get iPhone 11 64GB.
b. Yes. Get iPhone 11 128GB.
c. No. Just wait for iPhone 11s/12.

Please share your insights!
Thanks a lot in advance ♥
The iPhone 11 is a no brainer upgrade, especially if you can afford it. It is leaps and bounds over the 6s, with much faster A13, double the RAM, and much better camera system with night mode.

The only questions should be, does your 6s still perform within your expectation?
I am in the same boat, having a 64GB 6s. It performs fine, except the battery life sucks. Just doing basic things can literally drain the battery within half a day. I would've upgraded to the iPhone 11 sooner if Apple didn't charge $1000 USD for it in my region.

I wouldn't worry about 5G, even 4 to 5 years later. Heck, look at today, many carriers around the world cannot even have solid full-speed 4G connectivity. And think about it, once 5G launches, most of the enthusiasts (the bandwidth hogger, usually) will move to 5G, freeing up 4G for the rest of us. :D

Hekate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2018
Sounds like you've sensibly thought this through.

With regards to deciding on memory, despite you having 22GB free currently, once you upgrade, chances are you may need that 22GB, especially over the 4-5 years you plan on holding onto the phone for.

If I were you, i'd wait until next year - if latest rumours are true, you'll have much more of a choice, especially in your price range. Besides, you've held onto the 6S for this long, so it'd be best to invest in an iPhone that's going to be a significant upgrade over current gen, which the 2020 is meant to be...So it should keep you happy for the next 4-5 years.

5G is something you'd want in that time, so it's another reason why someone who holds onto their phones for years should invest in a 5G phone.

& if you're not happy with the 2020 offerings, then you can always pick up the iPhone 11 cheap.

That cycle's meant to begin in 2021.

The iPhone rumoured for release early in 2020 is the new SE iirc.

OP says they're ready to move on from the headphone jack.

Yes. It was my initial plan to use my 6s for 5 years and see what Apple has to offer in 2020. Exactly like you said, if I'm not happy with the 2020 line up then I can buy the iPhone 11 on discounted price.

But, I was considering certain factors for buying it now such as:
1. IMEI regulation in my country that will soon be applied in April 2020. Basically, any phone coming from out of the country should register their IMEI in the immigration process. This will basically make all phones personally bought and brought from abroad be charged with tax. Cause if you don't register it, you won't be able to use any SIM card. Before, there is a way around this so you can evade the tax. But since you have to register to use it, it's going to be expensive if I bought the new iPhone abroad.
It is already much more expensive here. iPhone 11 128GB retails USD749 in US. It's a good USD1k here at the authorized retailer. Yes, we don't have Apple Store here.

2. Going to Japan next year and basically I'm stuck with my 6s and am a bit sad haha. Want to take better photos.

But seeing the results of the poll and all of the insights from all the amazing people here, I'll reconsider the plan again and do more thorough calculations.

Option C

You say you want to use the phone for 4-5years then rather wait for the 2020 iPhones with the 5nm efficient A14 chip that includes a 5G Qualcomm modem. Those phones should do 4-5 years easily much like the iPhone 5 which was the first 4G LTE iPhone and saw support for a very longtime with many sticking with it for ~5years.

In the meantime get a new battery for your iPhone 6S, it’s probably lagging because the battery maybe under 80% capacity after this many years of charge cycles.

Yes. My thought exactly. This is one of considerations for waiting till 2020. I don't like jumping on new stuffs. I like to weigh things more carefully especially phones since it's a lot of money and planned to be used for a long period of time.

Will get a new battery for sure. I need to charge my phone constantly, like 4-5 times, just to get through the day.

Thank you for the insights!
Much love ?

Reactions: Tsepz

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018

Apple just replaced the battery on my iPhone 6S. So they are available. I think it cost me £57 (UK)

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
If it were me I wouldn’t upgrade right now unless my phone broke. This is what I did. I was going to hold on to my iPhone 7 for another year but it met a terrible death so I upgraded to a 128GB iPhone 11. The iPhone 6S is still usable and waiting can get you either a better phone next year or a cheaper iPhone 11/11 Pro.

At the same time, there will always be a better phone around the corner. You could wait forever. If you need a new phone now, or want a new phone now, get it. The current iPhones are all really great and will last you for many years. If next fall comes and you want the new one, just sell your phone and get the new one for a small loss.

If you get an iPhone 11 I’d recommend getting 128GB in storage. In most countries it’s not that much extra for double the storage and will serve you well if you plan to keep the phone for another 4 or 5 years.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Reactions: jimmy_uk

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
I bought my sister the iPhone 11 when Sam’s club had the $400 gift card deal for her birthday/traded her old ATT 6s and got $300 in bill credits /Verizon port in credit was stackable so I got another $200 gift card coming soon.

She loves it - so the answer but yourself a phone no one know what next years version will be like except Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.