Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrNapa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2013
Mail.app opens on its own even though it is not the default email program and I do not "open" or "click" on it. I also--I don't think--have any accounts configured. When it opens all I see is the "Welcome to Mail" page.

Major annoyance. :confused:

Does anyone have recommendations or suggestions on how to prevent mail.app from opening?

Much thanks,

Me

My system:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB

Serial Number C02J77DJDTY4

Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
1. Right-click the Mail.app file and go down to "Compress Mail". This creates a zip archive of Mail.

2. Delete the original Mail.app file.

Now Mail is completely disabled but can be brought back anytime by simply unzipping the archive file.

Please note that you will probably get a new Mail.app file when you let Software Update update your system. If this happens you should delete the old Mail.zip file, create a new one with the new Mail.app file and delete the Mail.app file again.

wmike1503

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
Unable to delete mail.app

Unfortunately this doesn't work - I am informed that the mail app cannot be deleted because it is needed by the OS.

Yet another example of Apple rubbish. Ho hum.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Unfortunately this doesn't work - I am informed that the mail app cannot be deleted because it is needed by the OS.
Go to the Terminal and type:
Code:
cd /Applications
sudo rm -rf Mail.app

Yet another example of Apple rubbish. Ho hum.
Sigh. It's very easy to set the default mail client. There are two ways offered here.
http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Default-Email-Client-on-Mac-OS-X
If that doesn't work, then you may have some other problem. Computers of all persuasions develop problems which don't in themselves constitute examples of rubbish.
If Mail is launching from iPhoto, not that there is a preference in iPhoto for the email client used to send photos.

wmike1503

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
Never OS X fault is iit

Sigh,

Always nothing to do with the OS - and hey - let's use terminal - very advanced. Ho hum

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Mail.app opens on its own even though it is not the default email program and I do not "open" or "click" on it. I also--I don't think--have any accounts configured.
Is it set to open at login? If so, disable that. Also, make sure you have actually quit Mail and not just closed its windows.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I disabled mac mail with the method mentioned, but now I would like to activate it. How can I do this?
Thanks

That does not disable it, it actually deletes the app. To get it back you will need to reinstall OS X. Just command-r boot to recovery and reinstall to get Mail app back.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I disabled mac mail with the method mentioned, but now I would like to activate it. How can I do this?
Thanks

If you did Step 1 in post #2:
1. Right-click the Mail.app file and go down to "Compress Mail". This creates a zip archive of Mail.
then there will be a zip file named "Mail.app.zip" in the /Applications folder. Double-click it to unzip, which should restore Mail.app.

If you didn't make a zip file, then you'll have to do as Weaselboy wrote, and restore using an OS reinstall.

sunnyj

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
If you did Step 1 in post #2:
then there will be a zip file named "Mail.app.zip" in the /Applications folder. Double-click it to unzip, which should restore Mail.app.

If you didn't make a zip file, then you'll have to do as Weaselboy wrote, and restore using an OS reinstall.

You will need to reinstall the entire OS, and as part of that it will put the Mail app back.

Thanks guys:)

Artemis19

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Mail.app opens on its own even though it is not the default email program and I do not "open" or "click" on it. I also--I don't think--have any accounts configured. When it opens all I see is the "Welcome to Mail" page.

Major annoyance. :confused:

Does anyone have recommendations or suggestions on how to prevent mail.app from opening?

Much thanks,

Me

My system:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB

Serial Number C02J77DJDTY4

Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)
[doublepost=1489086888][/doublepost]Go into your ap - then click on Preferences. I found , that the preferred mail was the OS app for mail, not my outlook, so I changed that. I think this was also interfering with my Outlook email too... I've changed this, as well as QUIT the Mac Mail application. hopefully that's got it done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.