Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
Hey there!

I wanted to ask if anyone here has managed to get Dell's 8K display working in macOS. From what I know already, in previous versions of macOS, it wouldn't work because the OS wouldn't know how to handle it's two DisplayPort connections. It would see it as two separate 4K displays. There are other monitors like Dell's own 5K display that use a similar technology to work, and macOS is able to handle them just fine.

Has Apple expanded this compatibility to the 8K display in Catalina, or is the situation still the same? And if so, does it also support high-DPI scaling so that it can triple the pixels and essentially be a super sharp 32" 2560 x 1440p workspace?

Any help would be appreciated!

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I was looking at the specs of Radeon Vega cards the other day and noticed that each individual DisplayPort already supports 8K (7680x4320), so the multi-cable headache will not be around forever. Too late for that specific 2017 Dell though.

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
I was looking at the specs of Radeon Vega cards the other day and noticed that each individual DisplayPort already supports 8K (7680x4320), so the multi-cable headache will not be around forever. Too late for that specific 2017 Dell though.
Yes, it really is unfortunate. Now that the 16" MacBook already supports Apple's 6K, I'm wondering if ThunderBolt 3 will be able to carry a full, fat 8K signal.

EDIT: I forgot, the DisplayPort 2.0 standard has been announced (not released), and they've promised full compatibility with ThunderBolt 3, using it as a one-directional 80 gbps connection. Full DisplayPort 2.0 compatibility means 16K resolution (at only 30Hz, I think, but still).

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I use dual 5K monitors with my Mac Mini (+ eGPU) at the moment. I'm planning to have a third, but that involves selling the graphics card and getting a variant that has more DisplayPorts (annoyingly, my Sapphire Nitro variant has 2 DP + 2 HDMI, deviating from AMD's reference 3 DP + 1 HDMI).

Last edited:

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
I use dual 5K monitors with my Mac Mini (+ eGPU) at the moment. I'm planning to have a third, but that involves selling the graphics card and getting a variant that has more DisplayPorts (annoyingly, my Sapphire Nitro variant has 2 DP + 2 HDMI, deviating from AMD's reference 3 DP + 1 HDMI).
That’s interesting… which 5K model do you use with your eGPU? I know the LG needs a ThunderBolt connection to work, so most eGPU users avoid it. I would typically assume a Dell or HP, but you seem to be running them off 2 DisplayPorts, even though they each need 2, meaning you’d need 4 to run both off the card.

That aside, how’s the eGPU setup been treating you? I’ve wanted to do it in the past, but I feel like I wouldn’t really tolerate the extra noise very well. I even bought some components which I never ended up opening or using. ?

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
That’s interesting… which 5K model do you use with your eGPU? I know the LG needs a ThunderBolt connection to work, so most eGPU users avoid it. I would typically assume a Dell or HP, but you seem to be running them off 2 DisplayPorts, even though they each need 2, meaning you’d need 4 to run both off the card.
The iiyama 5K (its I/O board supports DP 1.4). These monitors seem to be built around surplus from the iMac 5K production line because they have the exact same seamless chunky bezel bonded to the panel, and even a hole for the FaceTime camera despite there being no camera module behind it.

That aside, how’s the eGPU setup been treating you? I’ve wanted to do it in the past, but I feel like I wouldn’t really tolerate the extra noise very well.
It works wonderfully now. But your intuition is totally correct. What I've learned about computer gear in general is that you have to ignore the claims of manufacturers and people on forums that such and such product is quiet, because a lot these people evidently have really low standards (cloth ears?). I had to replace both the PSU and the Fan in the Sonnet eGPU enclosure with high-end parts to get acceptable acoustics.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.