Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I am confused by these two games, they look exactly the same yet they are identified as different series. Demon Soul is PS3 exclusive.

Which one I should play? I was told DS2 is the best, I will not be playing 140 hours going through all four games from Demon Soul to Dark Soul III. I am willing to play only one. Whats the difference between all of them?

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
While opinions certainly vary on these things, I don't think I have ever heard or read anyone stating that DS2 is the best one.

Demon's Souls was the first game of this style by this studio. It's how it all started. Dark Souls was a spiritual successor and a classic that many people call their favorite. DS2 was directed by a different team, and some people claim it shows. Supposedly the level design is more linear and less intricate. I haven't played it. DS3 was done by the original team and is widely considered a return to form, if a bit easier and more accessible than DS1.

If you are willing to play only one Souls game, I would recommend DS3. The controls are much tighter and less clunky than the previous games. It's still hard as nails and thoroughly enjoyable.

My personal favorite FROM Software game is Bloodborne. It's the same formula as the Souls games, a bit more fast-paced and has that really dark gothic Victorian setting. It's like a feverish nightmare that haunted me in my sleep.

Reactions: Suture

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
As Taustin Powers stated, I've also never heard anyone say DS2 is the best. I'd say it's the worst of the DS series. My personal opinion: DS3 > DS Remastered > DS1 > DS2

I LOVE this series. Rare there's a game that unlocks a new game plus mode that keeps me coming back for more runs.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Don't quote me on this but I could swear that I read that they were shutting down the servers for Demon's Souls after keeping them up much longer than planned because of the game's popularity. You can still play, but if the servers were down you couldn't get hints from other players, join with other players, or have other players invade your game. That was a significant part of the gameplay. I finished Demon's Souls but those types of games are just not for me.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Honestly, after beating all the games MANY times, I would suggest DS2 or DS3. Those I liked most, DS2 a bit more, though for its "slowness" as DS3 is a bit faster paced (close to Bloodborne, although not as much). DS2 makes PVPs more of a thinking ahead where flask usage is slow enough to get killed while using it. In DS3 it's more like hitting a few flasks while PVPing, which is something I never liked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.