Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weezerr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Any news on these being available on osx? Cant find anything.

OS-SEX

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
Any news on these being available on osx? Cant find anything.
It looks like neither game will be available for Mac. Blizzard appears to be gradually dumping Mac support and it sucks.

weezerr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
It looks like neither game will be available for Mac. Blizzard appears to be gradually dumping Mac support and it sucks.

Shame, they were so reliable in the past for dual support.
[automerge]1572725394[/automerge]
Nobody ever cared about Mac, and probably never will.

Why hire additional number of developers to write game for another OS if that OS looks like a fly compared to an elephant on market share graphs?

Because historically they always have, when Macs were even a smaller marketshare.

Reactions: Janichsan

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Shame, they were so reliable in the past for dual support.
[automerge]1572725394[/automerge]

Because historically they always have, when Macs were even a smaller marketshare.

That was before Blizzard became Activision Blizzard. Not the same company at all anymore. Agree. It is a shame and not just for Mac users.

Reactions: millerj123

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It is not yet clear to me how much different Overwatch 2 is to Overwatch from a technical standpoint. There appears to be a lot of interoperability between both games. It would not surprise me if both games are built on the same engine, albeit different iterations of it. If this is true, I doubt that a Mac version is coming.

As for Diablo 4, the game appears to be in very, very early development. The website does not even list any technical details. All I have read so far is that console versions are planned, but not which ones. Given that the game is in such early development, who knows if they even target the current consoles at all.

weezerr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
It is not yet clear to me how much different Overwatch 2 is to Overwatch from a technical standpoint. There appears to be a lot of interoperability between both games. It would not surprise me if both games are built on the same engine, albeit different iterations of it. If this is true, I doubt that a Mac version is coming.

As for Diablo 4, the game appears to be in very, very early development. The website does not even list any technical details. All I have read so far is that console versions are planned, but not which ones. Given that the game is in such early development, who knows if they even target the current consoles at all.

It was rumored to be launched last year at BlizzCon (with the subsequent disaster of the only announcement being a mobile game), and the second D3 expansion was cancelled in like 2014. I think it is probably fairly far along.

Agree Overwatch 2 sounds more like an expansion pack than a new game. There were rumors in 2017 about a Mac version so I was hoping maybe it would come to pass with Overwatch 2.
[automerge]1572786287[/automerge]
That was before Blizzard became Activision Blizzard. Not the same company at all anymore. Agree. It is a shame and not just for Mac users.

True. Used to be able to count on Bungie and Blizzard.

Reactions: TopherMan12

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It was rumored to be launched last year at BlizzCon (with the subsequent disaster of the only announcement being a mobile game), and the second D3 expansion was cancelled in like 2014. I think it is probably fairly far along.

According to IGN: ‘“A game of this scope takes time,” Barriga said. “This is a very, very early first step. We’re not coming out soon... not even Blizzard soon.”’

By comparison, Diablo 3 was released four years after it was first unveiled. Even back then they showed a gameplay video that looked great. That they have a gameplay video and playable demo now doesn’t mean anything, if Diablo 3 is an indication.

Agree Overwatch 2 sounds more like an expansion pack than a new game. There were rumors in 2017 about a Mac version so I was hoping maybe it would come to pass with Overwatch 2.

Blizzard responded to those rumours at that time and denied releasing a Mac version. If one has been in the works, then two years would be a very long development time, considering that by now even a Switch port is available. I think it is prudent to assume that a Mac version is not coming.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
What's with that Diablo IV movie trailer? Will there be a movie? Or is that for the game?

If that's for the game - would be hysterical because back in the 3DO/PC days, they used to have cinematics for trailers as the graphics were still primitive...

weezerr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
According to IGN: ‘“A game of this scope takes time,” Barriga said. “This is a very, very early first step. We’re not coming out soon... not even Blizzard soon.”’

By comparison, Diablo 3 was released four years after it was first unveiled. Even back then they showed a gameplay video that looked great. That they have a gameplay video and playable demo now doesn’t mean anything, if Diablo 3 is an indication.

Blizzard responded to those rumours at that time and denied releasing a Mac version. If one has been in the works, then two years would be a very long development time, considering that by now even a Switch port is available. I think it is prudent to assume that a Mac version is not coming.

Well of course they are going to deny.

Interesting, it has been in development since at least 2016.

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I am very excited by the Diablo IV trailer. Overwatch 2's trailer was pretty nice too, but I'm a bit too anxiety ridden to play that game after all the rape/death threats I got before they implemented a social points system.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
It is not yet clear to me how much different Overwatch 2 is to Overwatch from a technical standpoint. There appears to be a lot of interoperability between both games. It would not surprise me if both games are built on the same engine, albeit different iterations of it.
Overwatch 2 will in fact get a new version of the engine (which then will be backported to OW1 – don't ask). However, the situation on Mac has changed since 2015/2016 with Metal having become mature and performancewise at least close to DirectX. The excuse that "Apple's graphics technologies" weren't up to the task of running a fast paced shooter smoothly has lost validity. Especially after they ported OW 1 to the goddamn Switch, which can barely cope with the game.

So, if Blizzard cared, they would have had the time and the tools to port the Overwatch engine to macOS. The thing is just, they don't seem to care anymore.

The website does not even list any technical details. All I have read so far is that console versions are planned, but not which ones. Given that the game is in such early development, who knows if they even target the current consoles at all.
Details.
Q: Is Diablo IV coming to consoles?
A: We are working with our partners to bring Diablo IV to both PC and console, including Xbox One and PS4. We have no additional platforms to announce at this time.
If the game would be planned for Mac, they would have mentioned it. "PC" only ever meant "Windows" with Blizzard.

The development of the game has been stopped, re-planned, and restarted several times. See the Kotaku article linked above for details.

There were rumors in 2017 about a Mac version …
These rumors back then only ever were a gross misunderstanding of how the BattleNet client works.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
So, if Blizzard cared, they would have had the time and the tools to port the Overwatch engine to macOS. The thing is just, they don't seem to care anymore.

Exactly my conclusion. In the absence of clear statements to that end and that both games are ostensibly using the same engine, the announcement of Overwatch 2 alone provides no indications that Blizzard will release a Mac version. If they were interested in doing that, they would have likely done so by now.

I saw that as well, but find it curious. On the one hand they consider Diablo 4 to be in early development (see above) and on the other they announce PS4 and Xbox One releases, whereas PS5 and Xbox Scarlett are expected to be released next year. I wonder if Blizzard really means ‘Playstation and Xbox platforms’ rather than specifically PS4 and Xbox One.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019

Many devs are pulling away from apple because they keep depreciating their tools in favor of the proprietary stuff. 32 bit support, opengl/opencl, etc. The OW engine uses DirectX meaning they would have to update it to support metal for futureproofing.

That is a lot of work for such a small userbase that most likely already has a dual boot for gaming purposes.

They even confirmed this at Blizzcon

“We have no plans of giving this game on the Mac. There are several technology decisions that Apple has made that has made it a little difficult for us to release Overwatch in the way we want it to be consumed, and that is why we haven’t pursued it," said Tim Ford, Lead Engineer on Overwatch at Blizzard to Gadgets 360 on the sidelines of BlizzCon 2017.

Reactions: Spikeosx

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Many devs are pulling away from apple because they keep depreciating their tools in favor of the proprietary stuff. 32 bit support, opengl/opencl, etc. The OW engine uses DirectX meaning they would have to update it to support metal for futureproofing.

That is a lot of work for such a small userbase that most likely already has a dual boot for gaming purposes.
You mean unlike the work they did when they updated the StarCraft 2/HotS and the WoW engine to use Metal?
[automerge]1572958672[/automerge]
I wonder if Blizzard really means ‘Playstation and Xbox platforms’ rather than specifically PS4 and Xbox One.
No, they really meant PS4 and Xbox One. They explicitly stated that elsewhere.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
“We have no plans of giving this game on the Mac. There are several technology decisions that Apple has made that has made it a little difficult for us to release Overwatch in the way we want it to be consumed, and that is why we haven’t pursued it," said Tim Ford, Lead Engineer on Overwatch at Blizzard to Gadgets 360 on the sidelines of BlizzCon 2017.

That was back in 2017.

I would be interested if he would give the same excuse now.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
That was back in 2017.

I would be interested if he would give the same excuse now.
Its only gotten more difficult since 2017 lol. Especially if the rumors are true and next year macs switch to ARM processors.

then again the switch version runs on ARM so it might be possible to port that ?

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Its only gotten more difficult since 2017 lol. Especially if the rumors are true and next year macs switch to ARM processors.

then again the switch version runs on ARM so it might be possible to port that ?

In what way is it more difficult now than in 2017? That makes no sense. Metal is mature, Blizzard themselves are using it for everything else.

Last edited:

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
You know I was talking about their Mac titles (every other one of their current games apart from overwatch).

And you still didn’t explain how it’s ‘harder now than in 2017’.

There are less tools available to use and more things have been depreciated since 2017

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
There are less tools available to use and more things have been depreciated since 2017

Nothing has been depreciated that they would have needed to bring either of these titles to macOS. There are more debug tools available for metal now, not to mention more features.

As I and others already mentioned, they’re using metal for all of their other macOS games, and using it well.

Whatever Blizzards reason is, it’s not a technical one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Janichsan

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
Nothing has been depreciated that they would have needed to bring either of these titles to macOS. There are more debug tools available for metal now, not to mention more features.

As I and others already mentioned, they’re using metal for all of their other macOS games, and using it well.

Whatever Blizzards reason is, it’s not a technical one.

you might be right on this. Only other thing I can think of is the possibility of macs moving towards arm and ditching intel which could really complicate things

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
you might be right on this. Only other thing I can think of is the possibility of macs moving towards arm and ditching intel which could really complicate things

Not really for a company like Blizzard that makes use of Apples frameworks. They’re not porting their games to Mac, they’re developing them for it alongside the windows versions.

When macs move to ARM, it’s a recompile. Blizzard already did that when macs moved to intel from PPC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.