Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
On my iPhone in Safari, I used to be able to save urls of websites to the home screen. I just tried to do that in iOS 5 and there is no longer an option to do that. Did Apple remove that very useful feature?

I only have the following options when I click the "share" button now:

Add Bookmark

Add to Reading List

Mail Link to this Page

Tweet

Print

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
I have still have that option (iOS 5.1)

I figured it must be. I hadn't heard anything about Apple removing it.

So why doesn't my iPhone have it? I think I'll have to try a restore to see if that corrects it.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Maybe because your home screen is full?

What do you mean? If one screen is full, apps get automatically moved to the next one. Or is there a limit?
----------

*Update*

You were right! Thanks so much. I didn't realize there was a hard limit on the number of screens or pages you can have on an iPhone.

Last edited:

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
What do you mean? If one screen is full, apps get automatically moved to the next one. Or is there a limit?

----------

*Update*

You were right! Thanks so much. I didn't realize there was a hard limit on the number of screens or pages you can have on an iPhone.

Folders really cut down on that might want to look into that. :p

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I believe that the iPhone has an 11 page limit. Each page can hold 16 icons/Apps/Folders, which translated to a 180-App/icon(including stock apps + the 4 apps in the dock) limit before iOS 4 introduced folders, which then translates to 2116 apps/icons that you can have on your iPhone. Not sure if the iPhone still has an 11 page limit. Still, I feel like you would run out of storage long before you approached the 11 pages of folders.

jonlul

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
It has not been removed!

As one user stated this feature has NOT been removed in the 5.1 update. The reason you do NOT see this option is because you have too many icons/apps. What you can do is move one of your icons over a page temporarily. When you move the icon over it will create an empty space. Then go back into Safari click the middle button arrow and you will see this option (Add to Home Screen). If your 11 pages are filled up with icon apps you will NOT see this option available. I hope this helps. :apple:

If you'd like to see how to take advantage of this feature with this option available follow this link I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-bsFmUEDWI

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Thanks everyone. I definitely had too many apps installed. I didn't realize there was a hard limit to how many app screens you could have. Hopefully Apple allows for more in the future.

Either that or I need to appear on an episode of App Hoarders.

Buttns81

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2018
My MacBook is brand new. Bought yesterday. Safari does not have "Add to home screen" in my list either. my home screen is definitely NOT full. I want to add something to my home screen and I can't. I don't have a "full" home screen so that doesn't apply to me. Why can't I add to home screen? Have they removed this feature?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My MacBook is brand new. Bought yesterday. Safari does not have "Add to home screen" in my list either. my home screen is definitely NOT full. I want to add something to my home screen and I can't. I don't have a "full" home screen so that doesn't apply to me. Why can't I add to home screen? Have they removed this feature?
This is old thread is about iOS and not Mac related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.