Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
You guys are right. And after purchasing and playing Red Dead and Spiderman, I don't have regrets.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is only 4-ish months old and I already got it for $25 on Amazon new. It's going to take me forever to finish just that one. Glad you don't regret jumping in!

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Not at all. So many good games of the year editions at cheap prices. Enjoy. It always best to come late rather than early to consoles.

Reactions: Sensamic

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I just got a PS4 for Christmas.. Now I'm seeing a bunch of posts about a PS5 coming next year... Am I late to the game (no pun intended) with getting the PS4. Should I return it and wait???
Actually... No better time to buy it! Because now everything is a whole lot cheaper!!

Games can be found for less than half their original price. So, I actually think buying a console later on is a plus.

macnewbie86

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2014
I just got a PS4 for Christmas.. Now I'm seeing a bunch of posts about a PS5 coming next year... Am I late to the game (no pun intended) with getting the PS4. Should I return it and wait???

Not at all, there's so many great games for the ps4. I recommend heading to the "greatest hits" section of the online store. Nothing over $20 canadian.

How's your internet service in terms of bandwidth? If you have unlimited or a really high amount of gigabytes each month, i'd recommend you get Playstation Now. For $10 a month you get access to over 700 games that you can download or stream to your ps4. There's a lot of great games on there for all ages and genres. It's the future of gaming.

Some games I recommend: Overwatch, fornite, DOOM, Nino Kuni (ps now), EA sports titles (you can save a lot of $$$ by getting last years version).

camW00dS

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2019
Obviously not

You have so much games to play now and will have much more in the future because games are likely to be comparable

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I have a PS4 Pro but still use my PS3 to play games I've never got to play when new or are cheaper on the older console. Persona 5 was a lower price. I recently played through Catherine and now on MGS3. These consoles have a great lifespan.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I got my PS4 Pro the second half of 2017 and I don't see myself working my way through all the games I bought before the PS5 hits the shelves. I never had a PS3, so I'm also enjoying the remastered titles there.

A list for the OP to get some inspiration what to play.

Currently finished these;
  • Uncharted 1 Drake's Fortune (Remastered)
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (Remastered)
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (Remastered)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Uncharted The Lost Legacy
  • God of War
  • The Last of Us (Remastered)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (incl DLC)
  • Assassin's Creed Origins (platinum trophy :cool:)

Currently playing;
  • Far Cry 4
  • GT Sport (a couple of times a week since I got my PS4)
Waiting on my hard drive to play
  • Far Cry 5
  • Far Cry New Dawn
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Order 1886
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • The Witcher 3 Game of the year Edition
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of War
On my list to buy (when they have a nice discount or my patience ends :p)
  • Days Gone
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Spyro Reignited Trilogy
  • The Last of Us 2
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Death Stranding (not sure about this one though, but intriguing where this is going)

Reactions: Ent

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
This one is your enemy if you're trying to clear out that backlog. :)

It's not the only one... Problem is I never just want to quickly finish a game... AC:Origin took me 100+ hrs, GoW took me 65Hrs, Horizon 70Hrs. Only reason I don't have platinum on those is because they require me to complete a "plus game", and I don't want to restart from scratch. That would take waaaaaaayy too much time :-(

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I gave up trying to defeat the queen of the valkyries. She was a nightmare. :(

She took me nearly a week of repeated tries to beat.

It's not the only one... Problem is I never just want to quickly finish a game... AC:Origin took me 100+ hrs, GoW took me 65Hrs, Horizon 70Hrs. Only reason I don't have platinum on those is because they require me to complete a "plus game", and I don't want to restart from scratch. That would take waaaaaaayy too much time :-(

The nice thing about most New Game Plus modes, it's not 100% "from scratch" as you keep your level and gear from your previous playthrough, and stuff gets a little harder.

That aside, if anyone's into more punishing games, there's Bloodborne (PS4 exclusive), the Dark Souls trilogy and Sekiro.

Reactions: MisterSavage

jypfoto

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
I finally picked up the PS4 Pro this past week. Funny thing I bought 7 launch PS4 to resell way back when, funny that it was almost 5.5 years ago!

Upgraded the hard drive to a 2TB SSD and went to town getting games. Great thing is that so many good games for cheap.

Picked up
Assassins Creed Odyssey
Everybody’s Golf
Gran Turismo Sport
Kingdom Hearts Story so Far
Monster Hunter World
Shenmue I and II
Spider-Man
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
Uncharted 4

With the exception of Kingdom Hearts, Shenmue, and Spider-Man they were all under $20! And those three were under $40. This should keep me busy for the next 6-12 months, lol.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
With the exception of Kingdom Hearts, Shenmue, and Spider-Man they were all under $20! And those three were under $40. This should keep me busy for the next 6-12 months, lol.

My backlog is so bad I've gotten to where I don't even consider buying anything new anymore. It sure does save a lot of money!

Reactions: rbrian

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
The nice thing about most New Game Plus modes, it's not 100% "from scratch" as you keep your level and gear from your previous playthrough, and stuff gets a little harder.

I know, but with loads of games waiting for me to play them, I can't be bothered to restart the story from the beginning...

jypfoto

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
My backlog is so bad I've gotten to where I don't even consider buying anything new anymore. It sure does save a lot of money!

These cheap games combined with sales all the time are getting me out of control. In addition to what I picked up on day 1, ended up with Dissidia for $10 at Target, GTA V Online Edition for $20, Hitman Definitive Edition for $20 yesterday. Then today went to do some shopping at Walmart and walked out with Resident Evil 7, Dead Rising 4, and Persona 5 all for $19 each. Up to I think 14-15 games but most being $20, my average spent per game is $25 now. Nice time to be a PS4 owner. So much so that I’m setting my upper limit at $25, I’m going to wait until a game is $25 or less before I buy, with the rare exception.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Haha, I am as cheap as you jypfoto. The games today often have 100+ hours of gameplay and I can't remember how long it has been since I was "out of games" and waiting for something new to get released...

I haven't even started with RDR2 or AC:Odyssey... Also have The Witcher 3 to play...

Even if Sony stopped releasing games for 6 months, they would never bother me with it...

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I haven't even started with RDR2 or AC:Odyssey...

The Atlantis DLC came out yesterday. I "peeked" into the world for about 20 minutes and it looks really cool. There's some nasty new enemies that can drain your power bar and the environment is beautiful.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Well it's a rumour, so maybe, or maybe not! :D
I believe it's now (since your post) been confirmed it will be using a Ryzen CPU so looking good on continuing with x86 and (fingers crossed) backwards compatibility! :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I believe it's now (since your post) been confirmed it will be using a Ryzen CPU so looking good on continuing with x86 and (fingers crossed) backwards compatibility! :)
Yep, it was just logic: There aren't really any other architectures that Sony could move to without sacrificing performance. The only thing I wasn't really sure about was whether there would still be a Blu-ray drive, but that's been confirmed too :)

Reactions: Falhófnir

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013

It's never too late, I bought consoles many years after they were losing fanbases.

If you enjoy the games that's all that matters

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
The Atlantis DLC came out yesterday. I "peeked" into the world for about 20 minutes and it looks really cool. There's some nasty new enemies that can drain your power bar and the environment is beautiful.

I bought the deluxe edition last week. I just finished Far Cry 4 & 5 and playing New Dawn now. When FC:ND is finished: AC is on my menu to entertain me for 100+ hrs :)

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I bought the deluxe edition last week. I just finished Far Cry 4 & 5 and playing New Dawn now. When FC:ND is finished: AC is on my menu to entertain me for 100+ hrs :)

I still like it but good lord it is enormous. I still have a bunch of unexplored parts of the map. The first episode of the DLC was fun! Chapter two comes out June 4.

Reactions: BlankStar

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I still like it but good lord it is enormous. I still have a bunch of unexplored parts of the map. The first episode of the DLC was fun! Chapter two comes out June 4.

Almost done with Far Cry New Dawn. Going for the "final boss" and then I'm ready to get back into the AC-world. Finished Origins with a platinum trophy, so I'm really looking forward to this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.