Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benhermies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
This is just a curiosity. Anyone know why sometimes some icons will be dimmed in iOS 7? The apps work fine and go back to full brightness after opening them. Does it mean they've been updated or something?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
This is just a curiosity. Anyone know why sometimes some icons will be dimmed in iOS 7? The apps work fine and go back to full brightness after opening them. Does it mean they've been updated or something?

Dim kind of like when they are in the process of being updated? Try restarting your phone.

mugglewump

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
This has happened to me also, so far on my calendar, photos and camera icons. Screenshot attached so you can see how dim the photo icon is. When you open it and close it again, the icon returns to full brightness

Attachments

• IMG_8168.PNG
    IMG_8168.PNG
    736.1 KB · Views: 2,389

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom

I have experienced this too.
I think its a bug, nothing to do with them being updated because updated apps are represented with a blue dot.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
This happens to me quite frequently too. I find that touching the icon and returning to the home screen makes it normal again.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
I've noticed it too. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it though, random as far as I can tell. Tapping the icon typically resolves it.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I really thought that this would have been intentional. We all think it's a bug?

Weird. (Although I couldn't even begin to guess what it meant, so I guess it's not a very intuitive method for telling you something!)

mugglewump

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
So if it's a bug, we just wait for Apple to put out another update?

I'm on the iPhone 4, using iOS 7.0.2

sero323

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
This has happened to me also, so far on my calendar, photos and camera icons. Screenshot attached so you can see how dim the photo icon is. When you open it and close it again, the icon returns to full brightness

Maybe its synching?? :confused:

Hb0905

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
My phone does it too and I'm very curious! It seems to do it for apps that have recently been used but that's the only thing I've noticed!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 773

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
The icons dim when you press them (press and hold to see). I assume it's a bug and it sometimes gets stuck in this pressed state view. Whenever I have seen this, tapping on them to launch and then returning to home screen has fixed it.

Ipadminiret64gb

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2014

Im pretty sure this happens to everyone only that the ones who say it doesnt happen to them havent noticed it. I purchased a 64gb mini retina in January and noticed the dimming so I went to Apple and asked for a new one. Got the new one 3 days ago and its also doing it, so its definitely a bug that will most likely be fixed in the next ios update.

c99max99

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2018

Weird, looks like this was never fixed.... the same exact thing happens to the music icon on my iOS 11, iPhone 7.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I've noticed for years icons briefly dimming then returning to full brightness. Especially Google apps. My theory is that it's when they're checking for something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.