Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I have posted elsewhere why I intend to keep using 32-bit apps. I have been tolerating the “this app is not optimized for your Mac” message that pops up regularly but I am looking for a way to disable it because I have some automations that halt when the message appears.
I found these tips
How to suppress alert 'this app is not optimized for your Mac'

But one of the posts says it doesn’t work anymore.
Is there a way?

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019
I have not found any solution to hiding the notification. I do not think it is possible at the moment. Hopefully Apple will remove it in a future update. I won’t be moving to Catalina on any of my current units.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
According to Apple: "To prevent the alert, create and install a custom configuration profile payload in the com.apple.coreservices.uiagent domain, setting the CSUIDisable32BitWarnings key to True."
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209028
An example of a profile Disable32BitApplicationWarning.mobileconfig https://github.com/rtrouton/profile...4/Disable32BitApplicationWarning.mobileconfig
You can create your own with ProfileCreator https://github.com/ProfileCreator/ProfileCreator
Thanks but I think that is only available to system (corporate) administrators. I will check it out though.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks but I think that is only available to system (corporate) administrators. I will check it out though.
No, it seems to be working. Here is what I did:
- edited that mobileconfig profile like this and install it
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>PayloadContent</key>
    <array>
        <dict>
            <key>CSUIDisable32BitWarnings</key>
            <true/>
            <key>PayloadDescription</key>
            <string>Configures com.apple.coreservices.uiagent settings</string>
            <key>PayloadDisplayName</key>
            <string>com.apple.coreservices.uiagent</string>
            <key>PayloadIdentifier</key>
            <string>PayloadIdentifier0</string>
            <key>PayloadOrganization</key>
            <string></string>
            <key>PayloadType</key>
            <string>com.apple.coreservices.uiagent</string>
            <key>PayloadUUID</key>
            <string>PayloadUUID0</string>
            <key>PayloadVersion</key>
            <integer>1</integer>
        </dict>
    </array>
    <key>PayloadDescription</key>
    <string>Disable 32-bit application warnings</string>
    <key>PayloadDisplayName</key>
    <string>Disable 32-bit application warnings</string>
    <key>PayloadIdentifier</key>
    <string>PayloadIdentifier1</string>
    <key>PayloadOrganization</key>
    <string>Company Name</string>
    <key>PayloadScope</key>
    <string>System</string>
    <key>PayloadType</key>
    <string>Configuration</string>
    <key>PayloadUUID</key>
    <string>PayloadUUID1</string>
    <key>PayloadVersion</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
</dict>
</plist>
The strings for PayloadUUID have to be unique, but you can use whatever you like. It shows up in System Preferences - Profiles like this
disable32.jpg

- deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.coreservices.uiagent.plist, from Terminal it's
Code:
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.coreservices.uiagent.plist
The file stores a list of alerts for apps and last alert date for 32bit apps. It might not be necessary to delete it, but I wanted to be sure.
I haven't seen the message since, even for newly installed 32bit apps.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I have not found any solution to hiding the notification. I do not think it is possible at the moment. Hopefully Apple will remove it in a future update. I won’t be moving to Catalina on any of my current units.

I expect notifications like this will be removed once the dust settles and Apple knows everyone is developing for 64 bit.

They did the same thing for iOS if you remember "not optimized for your device", but now, you never see it anymore either since apps "pulled" allot (..or all) 32 bit apps.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
From the reports I have read "upgrading" to Catalina has been a disaster for many people - lost photos, lost CD music etc - so I will stick with Mojave for as long as possible.

Reactions: Riwam and xgman

jlhopes

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
Just found this thread. I am still on High Sierra and might want to move to Mojave soon to keep getting security updates -- but I really want to avoid getting those warnings every 30 days, as I still use Office 2011 and a few other 32 bit apps.

How would I use that edit mobileconfig profile? How do I get it installed into my OS? Do I have to use the Profile Creator app mentioned above? Thanks for any help -- I'm new to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.