Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Eh... Honestly, kids are fairly happy with Prime and Netflix offering. I've tried a few Disney movies, classic and new, and it didn't grab their attention much. Then again, our kids were glued to the TV when I put Planet Earth on, or really any nature or animal documentary.

I can't see anything this would offer that I'd personally want to watch myself. Nat Geo is somewhat cool. Though it seems anytime I flip onto it, it's some sub-saharan animal humping another in a mating ritual shot that pans. Who knew giraffes could leap so high... :eek:

Yeah but we're the cool cats. We hang out here. That thread... it's a fireball is what it is.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Place to talk Disney+.

Disney is offering $4 a month if you pay 3 years up front.

D23 Disney+ Offer

But if you're not a D23 member and want that deal you have to pay at least $100 per year for D23 membership, plus the D+ fees.

I may try a month or two of D+ after the Kenobi and Moon Knight shows air and catch up with everything then. I'd rather just pay Disney to buy those seasons than subscribe to a streaming service.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
But if you're not a D23 member and want that deal you have to pay at least $100 per year for D23 membership, plus the D+ fees.

I may try a month or two of D+ after the Kenobi and Moon Knight shows air and catch up with everything then. I'd rather just pay Disney to buy those seasons than subscribe to a streaming service.
There is no cost involved in signing up for D23 membership, in order to take advantage of this special price.

Reactions: JayMysterio

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
There is no cost involved in signing up for D23 membership, in order to take advantage of this special price.
You do need to have a Disney account though.

The price I quoted, that's Gold membership.

Still wouldn't subscribe for three years as there isn't enough content to warrant my doing that. The less I have to deal with streaming and subscriptions, the better.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

There is a no cost option... which is what I am. The other options are all paid.

I was on the fence. I will be getting it though, as I want to see the new Star Wars series. Time will tell if I keep it after that.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
There is a no cost option... which is what I am. The other options are all paid.

I was on the fence. I will be getting it though, as I want to see the new Star Wars series. Time will tell if I keep it after that.
Yes, I looked that up after another member was also kind enough to point that out.

I would like to see two Marvel and two of the three Star Wars series announced. Not worth my subscribing for years though. I'll wait until all the series I want to see are finished airing their (initial?) season, then binge all four (Exactly like trade waiting for comics) I'd rather pay Disney outright to own and download these series than stream (which is more $ in their pockets), but they're going with this lame subscription plan, so I'll make it work on my dime/time.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I got the deal. There was a little hoop jumping, but nothing at cost to you.

1. You need a Disney Acct, which is free to get. This then allowed you to sign up for a D23 account.
2. You can then make a D23 account. The free one is further down the page, they want you to do a little work.
3. You have to wait a few hours ( for me 2 hours ), then you get an email telling you to go to your account on D23.
4. In your account area there is an offer to redeem for the 3 years.
5. Redeem, pay, get an email saying your Disney+ subscription ends November 12, 2022.
6. Wait.

I went with this, because for 3 years, it's close to the price of 1 year of Netflix.

Reactions: kazmac

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm signed up. My daughter is turning two this month, and while we don't allow her to watch a lot of television, it will be nice to have the full collection of films to watch as family movie nights and stuff going forward.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I missed the deal dang it, just forgot to get it. Oh well. I will do the first year and see how we like it. Of course I am really excited for the Star Wars shows and the new Marvel stuff.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I got the deal. There was a little hoop jumping, but nothing at cost to you.

1. You need a Disney Acct, which is free to get. This then allowed you to sign up for a D23 account.
2. You can then make a D23 account. The free one is further down the page, they want you to do a little work.
3. You have to wait a few hours ( for me 2 hours ), then you get an email telling you to go to your account on D23.
4. In your account area there is an offer to redeem for the 3 years.
5. Redeem, pay, get an email saying your Disney+ subscription ends November 12, 2022.
6. Wait.

I went with this, because for 3 years, it's close to the price of 1 year of Netflix.
For myself the difference is we constantly watch Netflix content. Most likely for Disney, I’ll subscribe/binge.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Looks like if you're an existing customer of Verizon of most types you get a year of the service for free. I'll sign us up since we qualify. Saved me, what, $60?

Reactions: kazmac

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
For Verizon Unlimited accounts and others. This might nudge me toward unlimited, but still not sure if I want that just for my phone.
Thought I replied to this. Yeah, that is the caveat of the deal. We have it and I'll be signing up. Disney isn't within my personal tastes, but a year of free service should be nice... especially with rambunctious kids.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Honestly, none of us have much interest in it so far, I'm kind of over Star Wars related content, we own any Marvel/Pixar we would want to rewatch.

We have an 11 year old (i.e., a 16 year old ...), but she's been done with any kind of Disney material for years now, and really only had a tiny window of interest (hahaha, her documented worst trip was Disney with some friends a few years ago).

We are very likely moving to a Verizon Unlimited plan in the near future, so if we get it for free, I'd certainly check it out. Maybe over the course of our freebie some new shows will be released that push the right buttons.

[edited]

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
The upgrade to Verizon unlimited was in my budget, so I joined and downloaded Disney+. Everyone and their relatives must be downloading The Mandalorian.

Getting that waiting 15 hours for The Phantom Menace trailer to download feeling all over again.:p

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
So, it's a little buggy. Sometimes the connection won't catch for whatever reason, but once you're in it appears to work.

The sheer amount of 4K HDR content puts the other streaming services to shame.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Any good?
If you're a SW fan, it's a dream come true evidently.

There are a bunch of touches for true fanboys & girls.

If you're indifferent like me, it seemed like a fan fic show made in Cali by fans. So "meh".

No riveting story moments that grabbed me, or action that wowed me. It had the opening that shows he's a bad___. With the obliging idiots who start trouble with an armored overly well armed individual, because... reasons.

More stuff showing he's a cold bad___.

Then Werner Herzog reminding you how his voice is still truly bad___.

A sequence because... reasons.

A sort of cool fight that felt like it was the way it was for budget reasons, but it has Taika Waititi, so who cares.

And then...

The ending, which I will say was my favorite thing, because I completely did NOT see it coming. For that, I will watch the next ep, later this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.