Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Really? I'm seeing like 500-800 titles in 4K on Netflix (depending on what site you believe I guess ...) show, movies, documentaries, original content, etc.
Most of them are UltraHD 4K, which isn't any better than 1080p. Almost all the marquee offerings on Disney Plus are in 4K Dolby Vision.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
@Huntn The Mandalorian feels a lot more like Star Wars than this trilogy. Of course, I am going to lose my sauce over a spaghetti western type gunslinger/bounty hunter. Pedro Pascal is perfect.

If the entire season is as entertaining and fun as this first episode was, it will be on par with Rogue One for me (a solid in universe addition). I like that I have absolutely zero knowledge of the Mandalorians and SW bounty hunters outside of the movies.

And do not read spoilers, the surprise at the end is fun.

Reactions: Number-Six

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Most of them are UltraHD 4K, which isn't any better than 1080p. Almost all the marquee offerings on Disney Plus are in 4K Dolby Vision.

Looks like there's about 150 titles supporting both DV and HD10, with most of those also being 4K (there's a few HD+HDR), since we're talking about a resolution spec 4K/UHD vs. HDR implementation. I mean, I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I can see you're a big fan of Disney, just trying to understand if there's anything particularly compelling for me with this new service :)

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
People are having a good time noticing all kinds of things in the content on Disney+

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/12/20961250/star-wars-changes-han-shoots-greedo-disney-plus
The bad news, from a certain point of view, is that, as expected, Disney Plus is only streaming the Special Editions of George Lucas’ original trilogy with all the post-theatrical release changes that entails.

In fact, there’s apparently a new change to the original Star Wars: Han Solo’s deadly confrontation with the bounty hunter Greedo in the Mos Eisley cantina is, yet again, slightly different. The 4K transfer of A New Hope now shows Greedo saying an extra bit of dialogue, which is strangely not subtitled, and now Han and Greedo fire at each other almost simultaneously. Also, the shot of an awkward dummy of Greedo has been removed entirely.

EJMcKxyUcAAlRpK.jpg

This is besides the altered aspect ration of the Simpsons
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ch-on-ios-tvos-and-more.2210792/post-27970071

Update:
https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/12/20961501/avengers-endgame-deleted-scene-katherine-langford

Katherine Langford finally makes her Avengers: Endgame appearance — in a deleted scene available on Disney Plus.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I should sign up for Disney+ just to relive my childhood by watching the now available Disney’s Channel Original Movies... Johnny Tsunami, Brink, Smart House, etc. I’m sure they’re absolutely terrible to watch as an adult, but they were great as a child.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I'll sign up tonight.
I barely entered home the other day and I almost had a family revolt when I said that I wanted to wait on Disney+ to see the reviews. I can't hold further, I already see my decisional powers (*) being taken away if I don't concede on this.

(*) already limited.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
Not particularly blown away by the mandalorian so far.

Not much in the way of character development (so far you could put anyone in that outfit and it wouldn't make any difference (sorry Pedro Pascal), pacing seemed a little pedestrian, the shoot out at the end of the first episode looked similar to the shootout at the end of Butch Cassidy and Sundance kid (which I guess goes to the "western in space" motif), the music soundtrack wasn't doing much for me, apparently all bounty hunters now have a boba fett outfit - which is convenient for boba fett fans looking for their boba fett fix - but the bounty hunters including fett that Vader assembled in ESB all looked completely different and if they all look like boba fett now then it's pretty obvious who they are and what they do - which can't be very good for business. The carbon freezing/storage process of the bounty hunter's bounty must have been franchised since ESB since they are all carbon frozen now - but in ESB it was an untested one-off experimental process. Somebody present at the carbon freezing chamber in ESB must have had a light bulb go off in their head when they saw it worked and figured out they could sell it. Freeze em and store em, guaranteed! Your first 5 bounties on us!(conditions apply...)

But when the ultra hyped premier episode is about the same length as a sitcom, you work with what you got I suppose. It wasn't bad but on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it 5

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
I wouldn’t get none of these services if I can’t binge watch originals shows from Them

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I quite liked episode II of The Mandalorian. So far, this remains on par with Rogue One for the best Star Wars content released since Disney took over LFL.

Some classic western tropes (which I do not mind), but I also like that I am learning about other alien cultures (I did not read many of the novels and a select few comics, so it was always just SW movies for me). The Jawas are nuts.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
20/15 vision.

HDR/Dolby Vision is all that matters. 4K is fine, but without the first two, you're losing most of the actual value.
You're writing off 4K based on manipulation during filming and during color grading. Get a refund on your Lasik.

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
Not particularly blown away by the mandalorian so far.

Not much in the way of character development (so far you could put anyone in that outfit and it wouldn't make any difference (sorry Pedro Pascal), pacing seemed a little pedestrian, the shoot out at the end of the first episode looked similar to the shootout at the end of Butch Cassidy and Sundance kid (which I guess goes to the "western in space" motif), the music soundtrack wasn't doing much for me, apparently all bounty hunters now have a boba fett outfit - which is convenient for boba fett fans looking for their boba fett fix - but the bounty hunters including fett that Vader assembled in ESB all looked completely different and if they all look like boba fett now then it's pretty obvious who they are and what they do - which can't be very good for business. The carbon freezing/storage process of the bounty hunter's bounty must have been franchised since ESB since they are all carbon frozen now - but in ESB it was an untested one-off experimental process. Somebody present at the carbon freezing chamber in ESB must have had a light bulb go off in their head when they saw it worked and figured out they could sell it. Freeze em and store em, guaranteed! Your first 5 bounties on us!(conditions apply...)

But when the ultra hyped premier episode is about the same length as a sitcom, you work with what you got I suppose. It wasn't bad but on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it 5

Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong

;)

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
I was very impressed with the Disney+ app. I had some trouble with the FreeForm app when trying to watch the documentary on Galaxy’s Edge. It was difficult, to say the least.

But the Disney+ app was great. I had already downloaded the app on my phone earlier and had logged in. When I downloaded the app onto my Fire stick, there was a message saying log in or open the app on another device and they would take it from there. I did it and there was a message on my phone saying tap “allow” to continue. And that was it. Really easy, the way a good app should be.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Honestly I would have been ok paying $7 a month. The fact that I locked in 3 years for less than $5 after taxes delights me. I could not love the Mandalorian more. It has exceeded my expectations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.