Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So older episodes of The Simpsons look like crap.

I dunno why Disney+ didn't get the "remastered" versions.. in 16:9 of Season 1 through 19, since Season 20 is HD anyway by default.

Apple iTunes have them SD and HD.. so why not Disney+ ??
A company who has to "buy" the rights to a show can be better in 16:9, than someone closer to Fox ?

lol. I don't get it.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I dunno why Disney+ didn't get the "remastered" versions.. in 16:9 of Season 1 through 19, since Season 20 is HD anyway by default.

A company who has to "buy" the rights to a show can be better in 16:9, than someone closer to Fox ?

lol. I don't get it.

To their credit they have said that they are going to correct this.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

lol. I don't get it.
FXX was showing them 16:9 as well. I wonder if these old episodes could be remastered and not just scanned from the original episodes.
[automerge]1574010891[/automerge]

lol. I don't get it.
The Simpsons didn't go HD until episode 10 of season 20.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
FXX was showing them 16:9 as well. I wonder if these old episodes could be remastered and not just scanned from the original episodes.
[automerge]1574010891[/automerge]

The Simpsons didn't go HD until episode 10 of season 20.

IMBD: The Simpsons :- It says "Remaster" 16:9 HD

Since aspect Ratio and resolution are not tied, you can have 4:3 of a 16:9 image but you can't go the other way otherwise it would bury (big pixels)

Thus, this is why I reckon Disney+ only had the 4:3 version and just did the 16:9 to "crop" it,..

By issueing a "fixing" it, they are saying they will want a less than user experience.. with half of them being 4:3 and Seasons 20 + 16:9

As I said Disney should have got the remasted version instead as Fox went back did that way to accomidate 16:9 screens... Then users would have no problem, and Disney can rest easy.

Since the simpsons S1 to 20 was SD iin any case, only proves Disney has the 4:3 versions only

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
IMBD: The Simpsons :- It says "Remaster" 16:9 HD

Since aspect Ratio and resolution are not tied, you can have 4:3 of a 16:9 image but you can't go the other way otherwise it would bury (big pixels)

Thus, this is why I reckon Disney+ only had the 4:3 version and just did the 16:9 to "crop" it,..

By issueing a "fixing" it, they are saying they will want a less than user experience.. with half of them being 4:3 and Seasons 20 + 16:9

As I said Disney should have got the remasted version instead as Fox went back did that way to accomidate 16:9 screens... Then users would have no problem, and Disney can rest easy.

Since the simpsons S1 to 20 was SD iin any case, only proves Disney has the 4:3 versions only
The older repeats on FXX were all SD 16:9.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
There's an AppleTV 4K related bug with Disney+ that's pretty annoying. I've seen it before with other apps too so I'm pretty sure it's the AppleTV itself. After watching Atmos material for "x" amount of time (not sure how long when it starts), if you then go to watch something else in the same app, it can get "stuck" in "Atmos" and then 5.1 material will say it's "Atmos" on my receiver, but in reality I'm only getting STEREO sound out of my speakers. This also explains why some out there have said things like The Mandalorian is actually in Atmos. I was watching the Star Wars movies in ACTUAL Dolby Atmos and when I went and tried the first episode of The Mandalorian, it said ATMOS on my receiver display. YAY! I thought. It's a misprint. The Mandalorian is really in Atmos (I read on another forum that some got it in Atmos somehow). Well, I got 20 minutes in and I kept thinking boy, that sure doesn't SOUND LIKE any Atmos program I've ever heard. I didn't notice any real surround sound information, let alone Atmos overhead or '7.1 bed' rear speakers behind me (I have 11.1.6 here so yeah, it sounded weak).

It turns out that it wasn't even playing 5.1. It was playing STEREO only but saying it was Atmos! If I used Disney+ on my NVidia Shield, I got DD+ 5.1 sound that sounded pretty good with plenty of 5.1 type surround sounds. I've since discovered if I do a reboot of the AppleTV itself and then go to Disney+ and select The Mandalorian (or any other "5.1" shows/movies) first, I get "Multi-channel In + DSU" by default on my receiver instead which is Apple's TV's 5.1 or 7.1 output in PCM from the internal DD+ signal (that's how Apple TV outputs it as PCM as it won't pass a bitstream signal to the receiver other than original Dolby Digital). It then sounds like the NVidia Shield 5.1 DD+ signal as it should. This appears to be an AppleTV bug, not a Disney+ bug as I've seen the same thing happen before in other Apps like Netflix.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'll be taking the plunge, its hard to resist, given the volume of content available, and final motivation was that my kids were looking for it as well.

Reactions: kazmac and 0388631

Paul Dorfman

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
Has anyone noticed that Disney plus content doesn’t show Dolby Atmos? It just says 5.1 even though others are reporting atmos compatibility.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@Huntn The Mandalorian feels a lot more like Star Wars than this trilogy. Of course, I am going to lose my sauce over a spaghetti western type gunslinger/bounty hunter. Pedro Pascal is perfect.

If the entire season is as entertaining and fun as this first episode was, it will be on par with Rogue One for me (a solid in universe addition). I like that I have absolutely zero knowledge of the Mandalorians and SW bounty hunters outside of the movies.

And do not read spoilers, the surprise at the end is fun.
Visiting relatives this weekend who have Disney+. Watched the first 2 episodes of The Mandalorian.
  • First off I’m shocked the episodes are a tad over 30 minutes.
  • Secondly, the music, and immersive, emotional sounds are not Star Warzy and not appealing either. It is surprising to me, apparently how dependent I am on SW type music to establish a Star Wars vibe, but if the music was better, I think I could embrace it. 🤔
  • Thirdly and sadly, although the plot has potential, it has not grabbed me, although it has lots of visual cues to the SW Universe, I’m not crazy about the Mandalorian‘s character dialog, he is subtle to the point of being mundane.
  • The action is mearly ok, it feels fake to me so as to not impress me.
  • Finally I apologize for going against the flow, as most of the early thread reviews have been positive for this series. :oops:

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I liked it, then again I'm not a hardcore Star Wars buff like everyone else who's complaining about it. :p
[automerge]1574502716[/automerge]
I'll be taking the plunge, its hard to resist, given the volume of content available, and final motivation was that my kids were looking for it as well.
Ours seem totally uninterested in it compared to watching stuff like Planet Earth. I don't think Disney has much the grab now as they did decades ago. The parks have been getting less traffic over the last few years. Higher fees may be the reason, but I don't see what modern Disney offers up today's kids versus what was offered 30-50 years ago in the form of animated film and shows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I've been loving the Mandalorian and episode 3 was the best yet.

Does it store progress of previously watched shows? Is this what is being referenced?

Yep, there's now a status indicator of how much of the episode/movie you've watched. At least on the PS4 version there is.

Reactions: Huntn

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I liked it, then again I'm not a hardcore Star Wars buff like everyone else who's complaining about it. :p
[automerge]1574502716[/automerge]
Huh? This hardcore SW fan ????? The Mandalorian. The first thing Disney has gotten right SW-wise imo (I like Rogue One), but nothing else.

A rather cute meme...

563598C3-58EB-4025-9FFA-7A72E4CB04ED.gif

If Disney release an animatronic baby Yoda my wallet is doomed.

@Huntn Episode 3 is the best so far. The music is eh except for the tribal drums, but it's not pivotal to my enjoyment.

Anyway, I hope Di$ney release this show and the others to buy at some point.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Huh? This hardcore SW fan ????? The Mandalorian. The first thing Disney has gotten right SW-wise imo (I like Rogue One), but nothing else.

I don't hate the other new titles, but I have absolutely loved Rogue One and The Mandalorian. Can't wait to see where they go next.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

A rather cute meme...

View attachment 878892

If Disney release an animatronic baby Yoda my wallet is doomed.

@Huntn Episode 3 is the best so far. The music is eh except for the tribal drums, but it's not pivotal to my enjoyment.

Anyway, I hope Di$ney release this show and the others to buy at some point.
This could be a case of me not acclimating properly. ?

Reactions: kazmac

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Has anyone noticed that Disney plus content doesn’t show Dolby Atmos? It just says 5.1 even though others are reporting atmos compatibility.

What says 5.1? The Receiver/Processor you're using or the list on the screen beside movies that you think are supposed to be in Atmos? Do you get Atmos with other content on Apple TV? (i.e. could it be a setting issue?)

Most of the newer movies are in Atmos here including all the Star Wars films. But the Mandalorian says 5.1 and comes out as 5.1. I've read that it IS in Dolby Atmos on the ROKU Ultra so that means someone at Disney screwed up royally with a pointer or something.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I signed up for the bundle today. Wanted to get Hulu again for a few shows I've been missing. Figured I would throw a few extra bucks to get Disney and ESPN.

went on there and there was not one thing besides the mandalorian that I would want to watch.

Gonna give it a month or 2 and then cancel.

one thing I can say is that the picture quality is really good streaming on my Apple TV 4K.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I signed up for the bundle so the kids could have Disney and Hulu only to find out Hulu is loaded with ADs. The only way to fix this it seems is cancel the bundle. Sign up for Hulu AD free then sign up for Disney Plus again. I really only want Disney and Hulu, don't need ESPN. Maybe you guys know the best way to approach this.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Visiting relatives this weekend who have Disney+. Watched the first 2 episodes of The Mandalorian.

Finally I apologize for going against the flow, as most of the early thread reviews have been positive for this series. :oops:

Same here (almost the exact same scenario).

On our recent trip to NC for Thanksgiving (it was a blast!), we were with a regular travel friends, and we always bring an ATV and it's been a tradition to watch Simpsons (especially holiday themed EPs). Anyway, since they were yanked from FX and moved to Disney+, I signed up for a free trial, worked out great!

While it was active, I checked out The Mandalorian, it's fine, I guess if you're hugely into the Star Wars IP - I mean, there's so many fantastic shows available on other services where we already sub, adding something that only I would watch, and that's only OK-at-best, meant I cancelled as soon as we got home. There was really nothing else either, none of the old traditional Disney stuff interests my little G, the Marvel stuff we mostly own, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.