Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
When watching episodes it does not show them as watched even though they are as if I play a watched episode it shows about 10 seconds left. They have to add an continue watching where you go into a show and it will say "Continue Watching S1 E5" as an example like Amazon Prime Video, Netflix and Hulu have.

By the way I have this issue on the website, Fire TV and Roku so it is not just an Apple TV issue.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
So does it mark episodes as watched? What I mean is it shows a bar or checkbox saying the episode is watched. If so it must be a glitch on there end.

It just starts playing from where I left off. I actually use Apple TV app to track all my content (except Netflix)

Reactions: Crow_Servo

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
It does for me although there’s no indication of what I’ve watched.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Being service, just launched, there's bound to be glitches, almost like this one:

I am about to signup for Disney+ just to see and test it myself if it's true with the wired aspect ratio, but if true, Disney would be at fault, particular when Fox went "back" and Remastered all older episodes of The Simpsons in 16:9...

That in itself would further "pull the wool"

Mainly i'm wanting to see for real if the pic on twitter is fake :)

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Still don't understand how tracking episodes could cause server problems.

where do you think that tracking takes place?

It probably updates every few seconds, not just when you stop watching. So for every video that's actively playing, every 10 seconds the players will send "bob is watching X, current position in 01:30" Just a guess on the 10 seconds, might be more or less.
if you've got a few hundred thousand watching, those reports are coming in in the tens of thousands every second. and they have to store all those records in the servers database. Not to mention that database will have an entry for every individual episode and movie that each user has watched.
and there are probably multiple servers scattered around the country/world, and at some point those have to update each other, so that's even more traffic to keep all the servers in sync.

with modern servers and load sharing, it's not hard to accomplish this with proper planning and setup, but if their system was underpowered for the demand they received, it would go bad quickly.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I understand but it is still tracking episodes I watch it just does not show them as being watched. I watched about 5 minutes of Ducktales to test it and it remembers where I left off. Even resuming it on the iPad and it still remembered where I stopped it on the Apple TV.

It also remembers a few seconds left on episodes I watched where they show the dubbed credits cast.

I also found a workaround if I use the Apple TV app it tracks where I left off on episodes so when I play example S1 E5 on the Apple TV app it loads Disney Plus to resume it then after watching it I go back into the Apple TV app and it says S1 E6.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I just got the resume feature. I went into Suite Life of Zack and Cody and it put me on S1 E3 where I left off next to the play button. No more keeping a notepad.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
where do you think that tracking takes place?

It probably updates every few seconds, not just when you stop watching. So for every video that's actively playing, every 10 seconds the players will send "bob is watching X, current position in 01:30" Just a guess on the 10 seconds, might be more or less.
if you've got a few hundred thousand watching, those reports are coming in in the tens of thousands every second. and they have to store all those records in the servers database. Not to mention that database will have an entry for every individual episode and movie that each user has watched.
and there are probably multiple servers scattered around the country/world, and at some point those have to update each other, so that's even more traffic to keep all the servers in sync.

with modern servers and load sharing, it's not hard to accomplish this with proper planning and setup, but if their system was underpowered for the demand they received, it would go bad quickly.

Syncing multiple devices is difficult. So if the issue is 'I stopped watching on my iPhone and immediately started on my Apple TV' than I don't fault Disney that much. If I stopped playing on the Apple TV and then tried to start it up again on the same Apple TV than I do blame Disney because that information should be stored locally until a successful sync occured.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Dam Disney+

I think Disney+ wins gold for the most amount of problems in the shortest amount of time since launch...

Just when i thought i've seen everything.

Update: Reinstalling the app fixed..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.