Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tguiot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
Hi everyone,

at work I work on both a PC and a mac. Until recently I had a different display for my mac and PC, but now I "have" to reduce my display size. I have various devices that should work but doesn't. Here's my setting

I have a macmini (Late 2014), with macOS Sierra (10.12.2).
On my HDMI output, I have a HDMI to DisplayPort adapter (StarTech HD2DP), then a DisplayPort cable that goes to a KVM switch (Aten CS782DP).
The PC is connected with a DisplayPort to the KVM, and with VGA to another display.
The KVM output goes by DisplayPort to one display.

The first time I installed the device, the mac was off. I booted it, and it successfully displayed through the KVM. Then I switched to PC which worked fine. But then, switching back to the mac gives me a black screen. The monitor actually goes to sleep for lack of input.
I have tried multiple things to activate the display but without success. The only thing that works systematically is to force the mac shutdown, then boot it again.
once I made the switch work but I am not sure what I had done. I unplugged the USB power supply for the HDMI2DP adapter and plugged it back in, then put the mac to sleep by clicking the power button. This made the display appear, with the confirmation prompt to make it sleep. But I could not replicate this behaviour.

I have ordered a thunderbolt2 to DisplayPort adapter, which might make it work better, hopefully. But I was hoping that experts would know what happens.

Thanks for your help
Thomas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.