Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
not sure who still monitors this forum, but we have been talking about closing this subforum. It may make more sense to create a Distributed Computing Mega-Thread in community forums instead.

Let me know if anyone has any strong feelings about this.

arn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
not sure who still monitors this forum, but we have been talking about closing this subforum. It may make more sense to create a Distributed Computing Mega-Thread in community forums instead.

arn
I'm all in favor of the meg-thread idea and closing this forum.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

arn

Whatever happened to that discussion? Since then there’s been but one new thread.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Been a while since this was posted, but it could probably be closed and sent to archive. Only 1 thread since then, which saw far more activity than past ones but died quickly. This thread of course related to dire events of recent, so it's not really an indicator of interest in distributed computing.

This is probably the most dead part of the forum altogether, so it may be time for it to go. On a side note, I'd also recommend closing OS X Panther subform in OS versions, as it's only had 2 posts since March 2005, one of which was a bot.

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts

arn
Did you forget to retire this section?

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I would still keep it open.

Situations change and the fact it hasn’t been retired is more telling than anything less. Sooner or later it may find an issue that it needs to address.

But actually, as a guy nearing retirement I loath the idea of retirement. It’s killing off this forum and nothing less. Forced retirement - if forced- is no golden moment for the person involved. They become erased from society and the scope of the community has shrunk with a corresponding shrinkage in freedom of expression for one of its citizens and by extension, for all of its citizens.

So in the end this is all about freedom of expression and lessening that expression at this site by retiring it to that “old folks home” that is the archive or the wasteland.

We have to take a stand here! This forum (that I can’t remember the name of) has become a beacon of free speech and freedom of expression. Removing it means we are lowering our idealism for convenience of not having to pass our eyes past it every now and then. Sort of like how we avert our eyes passing by homeless people living on the street. I say “Enough”! This forum must continue to exist because it exists! Its existence is a reminder of our dedication to the principles of free speech and freedom of expression. Free speech is not free - it must be vigilantly enforced or all is lost.

The line in the sand has been drawn with the question of removing this forum - don’t let them do it!!!!! 🤣

Last edited:

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I don't see an issue with this thread remaining open. While it is definitely small and niche, some people like it, and all it's really harming in terms of staying open is users having to scroll the slightest amount more to get to the offtopic section. I don't interact with this thread, but I don't think it should be archived.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.