Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
hi guys,

Long time FCPX user here. In 2018 all my machines went bad for me. My 2009 mac book pro. And my 2008 Mac Pro. Great machines and machines i greatly enjoyed using but now its 2019 and I’m looking to get some new machines.. I tried the 10.5 inch and 11 inch iPad Pro with LumaFusion since last year for editing projects and i was looking at just having these for my workflow.. but honestly tho i really miss FCPX and lumafusion gets on my nerves. I miss the ease of FCPX, Lightroom and photoshop for my photograph and video editing needs.. Does FCPX play nice with the new MacBook pros now? I really like how light they are and I’m looking to get one of them for portable editing needs.. I would like a light but powerful setup as well because i had major back surgery in 2018 and i would like to keep things light. Do the MacBook pros still overheat while using FCPX? And are these powerful enough to do commercial and film editing...

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I use FCPX on my late-2013 15-MBP with GT750M. It works pretty well for the HD work. Does it get hot? Yes, and the fans can spin when encoding, or when applying some effects. However, it's not as hot or loud as the 2008 15-MBP that preceded it when doing similar things.
I would review the threads in the laptop forums and see what people are saying. We're at an interesting time with Mac laptops, especially with respect to keyboards. That said, my daughter has a 2016 13-MBP with a replaced keyboard/topcase after 90 days, and it's been fine for the 3 years since. She prefers this keyboard over the 2012 MBA she had before it. You will find a wide range of opinions on this, so best to try it yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.