Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Just the title, if anyone knows a free app on the App Store to watch movies on an iPad. Thanks in advance.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
I dont have any time today and may not for the next few.....if you haven't figured it out yet, send me a PM and I will try my hardest to get you an answer within the next week...just don't have enough hours in the day right now to even answer beyond this paragraph :(

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I didn't understand something: What source can I use to get the movies? I don't know of any one.

Apps such as VLC and others need local video on e.g. a NAS which is in your local network. You could then store (in e.g. .mp4) your movies/tv series on that NAS and watch them on your iPad or iPhone with e.g.:

VidOn Player (free)
VLC Player (free)
nPlayer (4,99 dollar)
Infuse3 Pro (free, but for full options you need in-app purchase of 9,99 dollar) - the best one with e.g. Chromecast support, alot of audio codecs (AC3) are supported, option to show opensubtitles.org on videos.

To watch free movies there are a few (documentary) apps in the App Store or have non-popular movies in it e.g. SnagFilms, Viewster, Big Star Movies (has some free movies).
Other then that you have a lot of paid services (9,99 dollar or more a month) such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO, Showtime but it depends in which country you are what is offered. Ofcourse you can also buy separate series and movies at iTunes.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Thanks everyone for your answers, I subscribed to Netflix in the end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.