Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morgon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
For my iPhone 12 Pro Max, I've had a Moment MagSafe Case with the bayonet mount, so it's been more or less protected by default. I think I might go with a Caudabe Sheath this time around - not as a knock to Moment (it had a solid feel and has served me well), I just never used the lenses and thus seems a little pointless. (OTOH, Caudabe doesn't seem to provide a lanyard hole, which I _did_ use on my Moment when I knew I would be in precarious places)

Either way, because I don't intend on adding a lens mount, that means the whole camera section will be much more exposed.
There seem to be two types of protectors: individual lens covers, and what is essentially a case over the entire camera cluster area.

Are these worth it? Do (or at least 'Can') they retain natural clarity of photos? Any specific mfr recommendations you've used?

Reactions: LedRush

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Had a Ringke camera protector on for a long time on my 14 PM until I realised it was the reason I had focusing issues. Been fine since removing.
Did like the look though.

Reactions: Hooterville

LedRush

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
I bought the 15 Pro Max for the camera and have the same question. I love using my iPhone without a case, but I worry about the camera getting scratches. Should I worry? Are camera protectors worth it?

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
For my iPhone 12 Pro Max, I've had a Moment MagSafe Case with the bayonet mount, so it's been more or less protected by default. I think I might go with a Caudabe Sheath this time around - not as a knock to Moment (it had a solid feel and has served me well), I just never used the lenses and thus seems a little pointless. (OTOH, Caudabe doesn't seem to provide a lanyard hole, which I _did_ use on my Moment when I knew I would be in precarious places)

Either way, because I don't intend on adding a lens mount, that means the whole camera section will be much more exposed.
There seem to be two types of protectors: individual lens covers, and what is essentially a case over the entire camera cluster area.

Are these worth it? Do (or at least 'Can') they retain natural clarity of photos? Any specific mfr recommendations you've used?

I'm using protective glass for my iPhone cameras.
I'm using it after my colleague broke his cameras while hiking in the mountains.
Prevention is better than cure.
In terms of quality, there doesn't seem to be a difference in the photos...maybe a few more flares, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: nxt3

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Buy a case with a camera cover. Not only does it protect the lenses from accidental damage but also from accidental smudges. This makes you ready to shoot photos at anytime with clear lenses.

IMG_3068.jpeg

ht5pilot

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
MS
Buy a case with a camera cover. Not only does it protect the lenses from accidental damage but also from accidental smudges. This makes you ready to shoot photos at anytime with clear lenses.

View attachment 2268684
Totally agree with you on camera protection. I’ve tried various types of lens protectors, but was never happy with any one of them. I believe the built-in camera cover cases are the best options if you want protection without sacrificing image quality. I personally sport a case made from Humixx with a magnetically built-in camera cover. Humixx Compatible with iPhone 15 Pro Case with [Magnetic Camera Cover] [14FT Drop Protection] Snug Touch Slim Protective Hard Back and Shockproof Bumper Case for iPhone 15 Pro Phone Case 6.1"-Black https://www.amazon.com/Humixx-Compatible-iPhone-15-Protection/dp/B0CB8MZH7W

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
It depends on your lifestyle and if you’re rough on phones or not. I got my 11 yr old niece an iPhone 14 and put on the “cluster style” camera protectors and it’s saved her lenses several times. She’s not the most careful and I’ve had to replace it 4 times but it would’ve been waaay more expensive without them.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Totally agree with you on camera protection. I’ve tried various types of lens protectors, but was never happy with any one of them. I believe the built-in camera cover cases are the best options if you want protection without sacrificing image quality. I personally sport a case made from Humixx with a magnetically built-in camera cover. Humixx Compatible with iPhone 15 Pro Case with [Magnetic Camera Cover] [14FT Drop Protection] Snug Touch Slim Protective Hard Back and Shockproof Bumper Case for iPhone 15 Pro Phone Case 6.1"-Black https://www.amazon.com/Humixx-Compatible-iPhone-15-Protection/dp/B0CB8MZH7W
Nice one. How does the magnetic cover feel to open and close?

ht5pilot

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
MS
Nice one. How does the magnetic cover feel to open and close?
It’s good because the magnetic cover stays in place whether it’s in the open or closed position. The only thing I wished they do is dampen the sliding cover a bit. When you place the phone down with the camera side facing down, it would make a clinking noise (from 2 plastic covers impacting each other). But as far as sliding the cover, it’s almost effortlessly opens or closes.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
If you do, do you find it affects your photos?

I never have, but some came with my screen protectors, so I thought I’d give them a shot because I’m always paranoid about laying my phone down with the screen facing up due to the camera bumps. I wonder how much it’ll interfere with pics.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Never even considered it.

Never had an issue. I usually set my phone down face down, but even face up never been an issue.

Honestly the new 15 pro feels so nice I’d love to go classless but I just can’t bring myself to do it. The extra grip a case provides is nice. The bulk isn’t though.

SO much nicer than the 14 pro and its sharp corners.

I use a screen protector always though.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Never even considered it.

Never had an issue. I usually set my phone down face down, but even face up never been an issue.

Honestly the new 15 pro feels so nice I’d love to go classless but I just can’t bring myself to do it. The extra grip a case provides is nice. The bulk isn’t though.

SO much nicer than the 14 pro and its sharp corners.

I use a screen protector always though.

I usually set mine face down also, but every now and then I’d like to be able to see when something pops up without having to pick the phone up and flip it over. I’m just so nervous about the lenses getting scratched.

I do keep a screen protector and a Loopy case - too dang chicken to go without protection on my device.

nxt3

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
As someone who is case-less, I had protectors on my 14 Pro and now my 15 Pro.

I have never noticed photo degradation. Photos look normal and I can put my phone back down and not worry about the cameras scratching. If the protectors scratch (they did on my 14 Pro ones) then you can replace them vs always having the lens scratched.

IMO, worth it if it you’re case-less—probably not worth it if you have a case.

Reactions: DNAppleGold

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
Buy expensive phone for nice camera

Put cheap lense infront of expensive camera to “protect” it

🤷‍♂️

I don’t even have a case on my phone, just a screen protector for the fragile soft screen, going back to the iPhone 3 I have never scratched a camera lens, and I ain’t exactly a office worker

ht5pilot

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
MS
Has anyone know of or heard of magnets near the camera module affecting image quality? I currently using the Hummix case with magnetic camera cover for my iPhone 15 Pro and I had recently read that magnets could mess with the image quality while using the camera.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I usually set mine face down also, but every now and then I’d like to be able to see when something pops up without having to pick the phone up and flip it over. I’m just so nervous about the lenses getting scratched.

I do keep a screen protector and a Loopy case - too dang chicken to go without protection on my device.
I don’t think the lenses will get scratched. It’s not the same glass as the screen I don’t think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.