Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Of all the potential changes, usb c is by far at the bottom of my wish list. I don’t understand why so many people want usb c so badly.

uniformity I'm guessing... Now that macbooks, ipad pros, and a lot of bluetooth headphones and other devices are starting to come with USBc

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I hope they do make the change next year so I can replace my 6S. I would love to be able to keep just one cord (usb-c) on my desk with a big charging brick for both my iPad Pro and iPhone. The transition will cause a few headaches since my wife will be a few years from a new phone (gotta get every penny‘s worth out of that XS), but it will be worth it in the end.

Reactions: magicMac

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I'd rather they remove a charging port than to switch to USB-C.

Now that's also something i don't want :D. We already had rumors of a completely portless iPhone... no thank you. I would not buy such a device. I backup and sync my iPhone on an almost daily basis with iTunes.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Now that's also something i don't want :D. We already had rumors of a completely portless iPhone... no thank you. I would not buy such a device. I backup and sync my iPhone on an almost daily basis with iTunes.

iTunes Wi-Fi sync has been around since iOS 5 :)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hopefully not. I don't wanna switch cables and buy accessories all over again. Everything i have is either Lightning, or USB-A and microUSB.

Change has to start somewhere.

For people already using USB-C devices, they wouldn’t need to buy anything at all. Their existing USB-C chargers, cables and adaptors would all work with your iphone just fine. All the more if they are charging it wirelessly, and using AirPods with it.

Reactions: magicMac

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Who knows. It would definitely make sense. It's one of the reasons I don't have an iPhone. If we're already stripping the MBP of all other ports, then I want usb-c connectors only, for everything.
But then again - it would've made sense for the current generation as well. And it's Apple.
iPhone 11 Pros are already shipped with USB-C cables.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Hopefully not, the benefits of USB C are lost on an iPhone and the connector isn't as durable as lightning.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
ITunes wifi sync uses regular wifi connection from your iPhone to your wifi router. Your desktop can be on Lan, doesn't need to be on wifi.

Will look into it, thank you.
[automerge]1575381775[/automerge]
Change has to start somewhere.

For people already using USB-C devices, they wouldn’t need to buy anything at all. Their existing USB-C chargers, cables and adaptors would all work with your iphone just fine. All the more if they are charging it wirelessly, and using AirPods with it.

I don't have a device with a USB-C connector, not yet.

It's worth it for those with an Android USB-C device, or for Apple Users with MacBooks and iPad Pros. Does the average consumer care about USB-C? Most people still use PCs and Lightning iPads. And i do not consider myself an average consumer, i care about tech.

Maybe when i get a MacBook and an iPad Pro i will change my mind about USB-C. It will happen one day, and that's alright, but i personally don't want that change to take place in the next couple of years.

And btw, the only microUSB "device" is my cheap 15$ wireless charger, rest is all USB-A or Lightning.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yes it's worth it for those with an Android USB-C device, or for Apple Users with MacBooks and iPad Pros. Does the average consumer care about USB-C? Most people still use PCs and Lightning iPads. And i do not consider myself an average consumer, i care about tech.

Maybe when i get a MacBook and an iPad Pro i will change my mind about USB-C. It will happen one day, and that's alright, but i personally don't want that change to take place in the next couple of years.

And btw, the only microUSB "device" is my cheap 15$ wireless charger, rest is all USB-A or Lightning.

Assuming Apple bundles a USB-C charger and cable with the iphone, I don’t think most users will care.

Anecdotally at work, we were given these windows tablet laptops for work, and the first thing my colleagues with android smartphones caught on to was that they could use the laptop’s USB-C charger to charge their own phones. And since the chargers are 60w, it charges their phones extremely quickly. I am not sure if this will significantly degrade the battery in the long term, but it has been a great convenience for them.

The next was that the adaptors that came with the laptop (a USB-C to VGA adaptor and a hub that contains USB-A, VGA, HDMI and power ports) also work with their android phones.

I personally am indifferent as to whether the iphone sports lightning or USB-C (I charge it wirelessly, use AirPods and mirror it via airplay). I also understand that USB-C is still quite messy in that different cables support different specs and lightning is something which Apple controls (and can thus ensure some degree of quality control), but I find that the reasons for switching to USB-C are fast outnumbering the reasons not to.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
personally I have been divesting in lightning for a few months now and out of the 4 remaining things I own with a lightning connector (magic keyboard, AppleTV remote, iPhone and AirPods), two of them have Qi charging and I always charge them this way now (iPhone and AirPods), even in the car because this free's up the lightning port for audio (using that annoying adapter that came in the box). Apart from that the magic keyboard is nearly always plugged in with USB-C to lightning cable (unless I need to sync the iPhone over USB) and the AppleTV remote has a wrist strap plugged into the Lightning port and seems to last forever on a single charge :D

Disclaimer: i'm not against lightning, at the time it was introduced (prior to USB-C) it offered a number of benefits and it's still a thinner connector than USB-C. But lightning is coming up to 8 years now and USB-C is clearly the standard going forward that even Apple have now invested in on Mac's and iPads. It's pretty obvious the 2020 iPhone's (based on new design) will be USB-C, as much as people don't like it. Remember this is apple.

One downside of USB-C iPhone is the thickness and therefore continuing the trend of iPhones getting thicker and heavier every year, which is disappointing.

Last edited:

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I have a Desktop Workstation (PC) which doesn't feature Wi-Fi. I use LAN.

So no wi-fi hotspot available at all? only use cellular data at home?

Though I've enabled wi-fi backup before, I like the feedback of plugging my phone into the computer and doing an encrypted backup with iTunes.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I have really been considering starting to make the jump from lightning and make all my devices usbc. I want to update my iphone7 next year and want to get the next ipad pro. It would just suck to have to hold onto lightning.

Even keeping it a pro only thing would be nice
No it will be Lightning and the 2021 IPhone will eliminate all need for Physical Ports. Because have no ports Provides HUGE Benefits for Apple and for the customer. I’ll list a few.

No Ports means Safer for the customer and more durable phone, 90%+ of Phone warranty claims are about a bad Charging port.
Security, a USB-C port or Lightning port allows FBI or China hackers to use exploits to gain access to Apple’s iOS and customer data.
More profitable for Apple and Apple Investors.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
No it will be Lightning and the 2021 IPhone will eliminate all need for Physical Ports. Because have no ports Provides HUGE Benefits for Apple and for the customer. I’ll list a few.

No Ports means Safer for the customer and more durable phone, 90%+ of Phone warranty claims are about a bad Charging port.
Security, a USB-C port or Lightning port allows FBI or China hackers to use exploits to gain access to Apple’s iOS and customer data.
More profitable for Apple and Apple Investors.

I agree on that, I know no port on the device improves security. You have given good reasons. But i don't benefit if i can't transfer data anymore or backup my phone.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I actually prefer the lightning connector over usb-c, but I’m ready for the switch. Tired of traveling with lightning for my iPhone, usb-c for my iPad Pro, the wireless charging cable for my Apple Watch and MagSafe for my laptop. When Apple upgrades the 13” to the new keyboard I’ll replace mine no it would then be nice to have 3 of my devices use the same charging port!

Reactions: secretk

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
I sure hope not but eventually they will. Lightning is so much more durable, can charge either way, and everybody has them and easy to plug in

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
I sure hope not but eventually they will. Lightning is so much more durable, can charge either way, and everybody has them and easy to plug in

USB-C can be plugged in either direction. I wish they’d switch just because I’d like to have one cable for my MacBook, iPad, and iPhone in the future.

Reactions: gxxr

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I don't really care per se as I don't use the port myself. But I definitely prefer lightning versus USB C.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
I dont think even Apple knows - I think they are waiting if they can either do a no-port iphone in the next couple years (more like is it feasable not just possible, can all accessories be wireless?) - if not they'll wait until the rest of the world will catch up to USB-C and its normal to see a usb c cable hanging somewhere for you to load - and then they will switch. This time Apple can be in the cozy position to wait with a switch and there is not much usage why the iphone would need usb c in contrast to Macbooks and even iPads to make new features possible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.