Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use an ad blocker with safari?

• Yes

Votes: 133 93.7%
  • No, because I haven't found a good one yet

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • No, because I don't use safari (use other browser that has it)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No, because I'm worried about instability

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No, because of some other reason

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I use firefox focus. Haven't really tried any else so don't know if there are better alternatives but it does it's job. Slightly faster site loading and no ads. If I notice a issue with a site I just refresh without adblocker temporarily.

DaIfoneboss

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Purify for Safari is really incredible. Blocks tons of ads and still lets you comment on many sites no issues. It is about $2 but you get faster loading times of sites and less chance of a crash from the ads from sites, etc. Saves battery life and websites load faster, protects your privacy a bit too as all ad blockers typically help do

I highly recommend Purify.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Purify for Safari is really incredible. Blocks tons of ads and still lets you comment on many sites no issues. It is about $2 but you get faster loading times of sites and less chance of a crash from the ads from sites, etc. Saves battery life and websites load faster, protects your privacy a bit too as all ad blockers typically help do

I highly recommend Purify.
While Purify is certainly a good one based on a lot of different feedback, there are certainly various free options that do the job just as well essentially.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Is there an actual blocker where by default every website shows ads and you can create a blacklist?
Because I don't want sites where I have to pay something to be ad blocked.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is there an actual blocker where by default every website shows ads and you can create a blacklist?
Because I don't want sites where I have to pay something to be ad blocked.
Can't say I've seen one where it works like that, mostly just where you can whitelist particular sites that you might want to.

Reactions: addamas

exi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
For the Adguard fans: still using Adguard on macOS / any problems? Does the Safari extension still request unrestricted access to your information?

I like to use the same extension on both iOS and macOS. Have been using Wipr to good effect for months now -- simple, easy, effective, clean, and fast. I do like granular controls, which is the only weak spot for my own personal taste.

Reactions: Jayson A

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I use Purify. Small app size and works very well. Other Ad blockers leave massive white space on the website, Purify does not.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Yes. I use Adguard, and in addition AdBlock for a more system-wide solution. I really have no idea if those two somehow clash with each other or something (or if just one would be enough), but this has been working fine for me so far.

If I encounter a webpage that has trouble loading, I load it without an adblocker. But those really are few and far between.

Reactions: Jayson A

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Can i ask a dumb question about ad blockers in general? Do they block the ad before it is downloaded, or does the ad still download but just not show up? I need to save against my data cap, so a blocker doesnt do me any good if the data is still coming down my satellite feed :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can i ask a dumb question about ad blockers in general? Do they block the ad before it is downloaded, or does the ad still download but just not show up? I need to save against my data cap, so a blocker doesnt do me any good if the data is still coming down my satellite feed :)
Since many advertise saving data it would seem that they would block actual downloading at least of some things that otherwise would be.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

That depends on the developer, but a blocker can do either. The blockers I have tried (Crystal, Adguard, 1Block, Blockr, Firefox Focus) block websites at the source and stop them from loading at all.

Reactions: RobinInOR

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Thanks C DM and KALLT, that was helpful. I'll look into those you mention. Anything to save my data cap - we run around 80% with standard everyday browsing/email, and we have another adult moving in with us, so any savings will be great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.