Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use an ad blocker with safari?

• Yes

Votes: 133 93.7%
  • No, because I haven't found a good one yet

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • No, because I don't use safari (use other browser that has it)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No, because I'm worried about instability

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No, because of some other reason

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2012
No what the hell is the point? Ad blockers are ridiculous anyways you can easily block all ads your self learn people LEARN you don't need any ads blockers and most are highly unsafe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
No what the hell is the point? Ad blockers are ridiculous anyways you can easily block all ads your self learn people LEARN you don't need any ads blockers and most are highly unsafe

Well, thanks for the snarky tone, and redundant post.

As a former teacher, I remember realising that the very, very best way to get people to want to learn something was to mock them and sneer at them for their lack of knowledge. This really made them want to learn, as you can, no doubt, more than well imagine.

Anyway, to the point: When I had windows computers, I found the daily tsunami of ads, spam, viruses and so on, tedious, time-consuming, and, ultimately, exceedingly frustrating.

That experience has left me with a life long loathing of ads.

And no, I have no idea how to "learn" how to adblock. I need to be told how to do it, or instructed in idiot-proof instructions, or assisted, or - best of all - pay a professional to do the needful.

Early in my Mac days, I installed MacKeeper - well, that was a big mistake; that programme is a menace, and I had to get professionals to remove it.

Mind you, this thread has been a revelation. I hadn't heard of AdGuard until now; given how widespread the approval rate seems to be, it may well be worth looking into.

Last edited:

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland

I'm actually genuinely intrigued as to what the meaning of this post is supposed to be.

How do I block ads by myself? Other than with an aforementioned ridiculous adblocker, that is. I'm always in the market for equal parts ridiculous, and non-ridiculous stuff, so what exactly did you have in mind?

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Could very well be. But the post was just so all over the place that there has to be something behind all that. I'm still holding out hope, but at the same time not really.

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Ads come from too many places to keep up with on your own. I installed adguard last night on recommendations from posts here, and it's wonderful. Sites loaded much faster.

Also, an anecdotal observation. Yesterday, before installing adguard, my wifi kept locking up on our work network, and streaming radio would lock up. Now, I've had it going for 6 hours and not one dropout. Only thing changed is the ad blocking. So very cool!

Nick11Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
California
I've not yet installed one. Maybe I'll look into a free one. The thing is, if I installed something like this, I'd rather not have to do much tweaking of settings. Not important enough for me I guess. Otherwise, I'll just ignore the ads as usual.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What you could easily do is whitelist rather than blacklist. I'm assuming you're using Safari; my answer would be different for Fx.

In example, using uBlock in Safari --

https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock/wiki/How-to-whitelist-a-web-site

uBlock can be more than an ad blocker such as using hosts files, multiple ad- blocker/privacy filters, as a script blocker, etc.. It's flexible as to how it can be used. The developer hasn't updated the extension or the native filters in better than a year. However, the third-party filters and hosts files are updated regularly, either automatically or manually, as you choose. And the script blocker still works as it should.

Quick user guide and links -- https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock/wiki/Quick-guide:popup-user-interface
Is that for iOS?

Reactions: ghanwani and 997440

exi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
About uBlock -- the extension is no longer being developed and should be seen as deprecated. See the Wikipedia article about it for more information.

This is not to be confused with uBlock Origin, which is alive and well (but does not exist for Safari).

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I've not yet installed one. Maybe I'll look into a free one. The thing is, if I installed something like this, I'd rather not have to do much tweaking of settings. Not important enough for me I guess. Otherwise, I'll just ignore the ads as usual.

One thing to remember is that ads use a portion of your data plan, so in a sense they cost you money.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Thank you guys for mentioning Adguard! Been using Adblock Plus and Crystal to compare a bit, but both of them fall short on effectiveness sometimes. Adblock Plus for example seems too aggressive when loading some websites, resulting in an error saying it can't load the page. Crystal at the other hand misses ads at some points.

Adguard is by far the best one I've tested. :D

---

By the way, I can't get over it how amazingly fast websites load with an adblocker. I've tested it with iMore and it instantly loaded. Usually, without an adblocker, it takes 10-15 seconds before it has completely loaded. That's a major improvement there.

I think adblockers are important as well, to let website owners know we can't stand those intrusive ads. Some big news websites have these ads that fill the whole page! I mean, for heavens sake, why would you want to get rid of your readers like that? xD

Last edited:

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
I use adguard for iOS and for safari on mac, it works well, although on a site i visit for citations i notice it no longer blocks the adds on that anymore.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
No matter which ad blocker I use, "AdChoices" ads still show up, like the ad at the bottom of this page. Anyway to block those ads?

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2015
Learned from responses to this thread. Looking into a few, including AdGuard.
did you ever get a resolution to getting rid of adchoices I have it been trying to get rid of it for weeks ...apple is lost..it is only on safari and not ff brave epic chrome opera..has to be in safari...??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.