Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I just got my 15" PB today and the battery seems to be DOA.
As soon as I plugged it in to the wall, the power indicator in the battery was green, which was odd because I thought that it was supposed to be orange because the battery was charging.
Many hours later and while still plugged in, the battery remaining is still 0% and no sign of charging. The estimated time to charge is about 330:00 and oscilates, being more or less.
I even turned it off completely and left it alone for about 2 hours and still 0%.
Also, when I turn it on, the system tells me that my date is wrong, but then fixes itself to today's date. Is this caused to a non-working battery?
The power indicator is green, whether there is a battery or not.
Should I return it to Amazon or call Apple for a replacement battery?
Other than that, it's a beauty :)

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
It doesn't seem to be charging :(
I'm calling Apple tomorrow to get a replacement battery.
I wonder if I can go to an Apple Store and get it there instead of having to wait for it in the mail.

batt_icon.png

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
Actually, it might be charging, just very slow.
I just found out now. Going to leave it plugged in overnight and see what happens.
Light on charger is still green.
batt_2.png

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
It didn't charge, not even overnight while turned off.
So I called them today. The rep was very helpful and agreed that there was an issue with doa batteries and told me by my serial # W8542xxxxxxx that my PB was affected.
He said they would send one right away, and asked for a credit card number just in case I kept both batteries. It's fine by me. I hope this replacement works, that way I could actually use my first Mac portable!
I guess I'll keep everyone updated, in case anyone else has this same problem.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I'm very pleased.
After phoning Apple on the 20th, and less than 48 hours later I have a new, working battery. They shipped the new battery using DHL Next-Day Air.
:)

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
There is an issue with a current batch of 15" Powerbooks, the firmware in the battery is faulty. Apple say they will have a firmware update in about a week, until then all they can do is send out replacement batteries.
The store I work at has about 10 of these Powerbooks refunded because we thought they were faulty, you're not the only one unfortunatly:(

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Hmmmm

I hope this problem isn't too common, I had conviced to some friends to buy the new 15" Dual layer PowerBooks, one of the users will be using it in Iraq and I really hope that his battery doesn't fail him, the other PowerBook they bought, excactly the same model from the same batch, had a defective battery which I replaced for them this weekend under warranty. I'm thinking about the other guy going back to Iraq next week, maybe I should give him the new battery as it would be very difficult to get Apple Serive out there? What do you guys think????

Merry Christmas!

Thanks

Alex Price

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
I had to replace my battery after about two weeks of use. So far so good on my replacement battery.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
cool app...

but I think my battery is dying. I have 22000mah capacity, originally 4200. Hmmm, something ain't right.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
alexprice said:
I'm thinking about the other guy going back to Iraq next week, maybe I should give him the new battery as it would be very difficult to get Apple Serive out there? What do you guys think????

I think it's a great idea if you can get him an extra battery. Might not hurt to get him iSkin or some sort of other protective stuff since I know sand is a problem out there. Wish him the best for me.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
There's something weird aboutt his.
After 1 "charge-discharge" cycle, now the maximum capacity is only 99%.
What? :eek: Is this the way batteries work? This is my first laptop, so I really don't know.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
ortuno2k said:
There's something weird aboutt his.
After 1 "charge-discharge" cycle, now the maximum capacity is only 99%.
What? :eek: Is this the way batteries work? This is my first laptop, so I really don't know.

Sometimes mine will read 99% but it's actually fullly charged. Other times it goes up to 100%.

Not sure about why that happens with mine.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
ortuno2k said:
I just got my 15" PB today and the battery seems to be DOA.

I got the same thing, DOA battery. Apple's FedExing me a replacement. No biggy. I had that happen once before long ago (10 years?) and Apple always comes through on support.

The PowerBook 15" screen is beautiful. No lines or waveyness that some people have described. It's bright and crisp. Photos look gorgeous. Everything else seems to be working great. I transfered my stuff from my old Pismo in FireWire Target mode during setup and so far everything appears to have come across perfectly. I did have to update PithHelmet and a couple of other programs as I was still back on Jaguar on the Pismo PowerBook.

smartgirlglasse

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2005
CTYankee said:
cool app...

but I think my battery is dying. I have 22000mah capacity, originally 4200. Hmmm, something ain't right.

Mine did that, and the next day it was charging at 2% of its original capacity. I took it back to the Apple store and they replaced it, noting it was a common problem in the new pbs.

Funny thing is that they exchanged my battery and now the new one won't charge. Guess it's back to the store for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.