Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I phone 11 pro, had beta 4 and now public release. My location arrow on the upper left of the screen keeps coming on and going off with no apps open. No apps are showing persistent location usage in the privacy>location setting. This wasn’t happening with my XR, so I’m not sure if this is the phone or iOS. Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

NNowak19

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
I phone 11 pro, had beta 4 and now public release. My location arrow on the upper left of the screen keeps coming on and going off with no apps open. No apps are showing persistent location usage in the privacy>location setting. This wasn’t happening with my XR, so I’m not sure if this is the phone or iOS. Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

I have had this issues since upgrading to the Pro Max on Friday. Previously had XS Max w no issues, Beta 4 and public 13.1 as well. Have posted it in a few other forms as well. Seems like others are having this issue too. I haven’t tried a full location services reset yet, was hoping public today would fix it. Maybe 13.2 beta if released “tomorrow” like others have speculated may have a fix. Not sure if it’s a graphical bug or if it’s actually taking a battery hit. Can’t put a finger on it.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Is the location arrow solid or the outlined one?! The system might be using it for other reasons, not specifically related to the apps.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Solid arrow that goes on and off frequently. It didn’t used to be that way, but it may be a new thing with iOS 13 (although I didn’t have that with all the iOS 13 betas). It doesn’t seem to be affecting battery, so I will just see what happens. Thanks for the responses.

Reactions: NNowak19

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Solid arrow that goes on and off frequently. It didn’t used to be that way, but it may be a new thing with iOS 13 (although I didn’t have that with all the iOS 13 betas). It doesn’t seem to be affecting battery, so I will just see what happens. Thanks for the responses.
This has been brought up a time or two already. You have an Apple Watch connected?

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I saw the thread about location and Apple Watch, but I don’t have an Apple Watch. I’m a little perplexed is all. I’m not sure what changed. I think it has to do with the iPhone pro, not necessarily iOS 13 at this point, as iPhone X, XR, and SE that I have in my house aren’t showing this. The solid arrow comes on couple minutes then goes away, it seems random. Probably not a big deal.

tqlos

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2019
I came here specifically to look into this issue. It's happening to me too on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I didn't notice it before today, after updating to 13.1 (which I did yesterday), but it's possible it happened before too.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I know you said you don't have a watch but for me it was my watch face with the weather on it. Maybe a weather widget?

tqlos

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2019
For me at least, it still happens even when I have Weather set to never use my location, and when I take the Weather widget off of my dashboard.

Like the OP, I also don't have an Apple Watch.

tahvero

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2015
Does anyone else have problem with the GPS in iOS 13.1? Mine seems to be on about 80% of the time.

From Location services settings I have concluded that it is caused by System Services. Problem is that none of the services have purple arrow even though the GPS icon is showing in status bar. Disabling all system services doesn’t solve this as the arrow is still shown in status bar. However tapping the Status Bar Icon option (on system services page) off does work.

I’m not sure if this is bug with GPS or UI showing the arrow icon even when location services is used because it does not seem to use that much battery. However I have disabled all location services for now.

There was a small discussion about this in reddit r/ios but it did not gain much popularity.

I’m using iPhone 11 Pro 256Gb with iOS13.1.

Reactions: Ninflu and NNowak19

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Always have either the hollow or solid arrow. Have several apps set to "Always". Doesn't seem to be impacting battery life by any discernible amount so not really sure why such a fuss is made about it.

tqlos

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2019
I agree that I haven't seen battery life suffer. But I read a lot on my phone and it's annoying and distracting to have it flashing on and off in the corner constantly. I should probably just turn off the icon in Settings at this point!

NNowak19

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
I’m having this issue as well. Can’t seem to find a fix in any forums. Turned off status bar icon for now. Even tho it’s still running, it doesn’t annoy me as much Seeing the arrow all the time. Verizon iPhone Pro Max running 13.1

bchris

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
I’m having this issue as well. Can’t seem to find a fix in any forums. Turned off status bar icon for now. Even tho it’s still running, it doesn’t annoy me as much Seeing the arrow all the time. Verizon iPhone Pro Max running 13.1

I see the same issue. Nothing in system services is flagged as having used gps but it is shown as ON very often. Have everything turned off except 'find my phone" and Emergency/sos.

tahvero

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2015
I don’t know if this is true but this seems to occur more often in the evening and morning. Can this be somehow related to Dark Mode or Night Shift? If they use GPS to check location for sunset/sundown.

KurtWilde

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
I don’t know if this is true but this seems to occur more often in the evening and morning. Can this be somehow related to Dark Mode or Night Shift? If they use GPS to check location for sunset/sundown.

Maybe this... cycled these settings and it seems to have stopped.

Anecdotal but I won’t argue with results.

Last edited:

bchris

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
I've seen it stop sometimes then start again. Not sure what is causing it.
iOS 13.1.1 is out with bug fixes. Just installed it on phone.
Still have the same thing with location indicator on/off often.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
...yea, I'm also getting the same exact issue?!

Since iOS 13, I am constantly seeing this icon in the status bar:

1569919091156.png

Its ALWAYS there and has only been ALWAYS there since iO13 (and I'm actually using iOS 13.1.1).

I checked in the Location services under Privacy, and figured out it was the native Weather app causing this :

1569919205173.png

When I turn this off, and I check the weather app on my Apple Watch, I get a notification asking me if I want to allow the Weather app to use my Location. Even when selecting the 'Whilst Using app' option, the icon seems to stay in the status bar of the phone?!

This never happened before - is this a bug in iOS13?

tahvero

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2015
This bug still seems to work in iOS 13.1.2. My location services still goes on without apparent reason. I still suspect it happens because of the system services.

To person above me. I never had location on for Weather and this bug is happening to me.

Hudzilla

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
England
Yep, still getting the issue. I have a suspicion it’s something to do with WiFi / Bluetooth, but, not exactly sure

Reactions: jbow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.