Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
My question is: does this bug affect the battery? This is my biggest fear, as Apple may well fix this bug by hiding this arrow and continuing to access our location.
I turned location off completely, and I'm afraid of losing my device and not being able to access "Search My iPhone."
Battery life has been outstanding on my 11 Pro Max. And this feature, remember Apple’s response is performing as designed, has not caused any problems on our 5 devices. And we have all location services enabled. Anyone who dislikes the feature can offer feedback requests on their site. I have for a few other changes I’m not crazy about in 13. However with all the actual serious bugs in 13 they have to fix I wouldn’t expect any changes until ios 14.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

Ninflu

macrumors regular
This increases our changes... :)

It's starting to spread around in the media, on news-sites, tech-sites and of course on twitter. To quote one site which brings it excatly onto the point:

However, the way iOS’s location and privacy settings are set up, it’s easy to assume a user has complete control over all location data access. But the Apple engineer’s answer seems to imply there are location services that Apple doesn’t advertise—and that it doesn’t give users control over.
[automerge]1575474910[/automerge]
And this feature, remember Apple’s response is performing as designed, has not caused any problems on our 5 devices. And we have all location services enabled. Anyone who dislikes the feature can offer feedback requests on their site.

@papbot I value your opinion and this board is free speach for all of the users; but is it possible for you to stop pointing out that all of your 5 devices are working like a charm, you've location services activated and stop pointing out that we can use the Feedback form? I've read that now very often from you in this thread. It's okay to have an opinion and to post it, but please respect that we do have a problem with that issue. Several Users have a problem with this bug or feature or whatever this is now. We all know (and sent) feedback to Apple already. And we are concerned about this, doesn't matter what it is.

Last edited:

spunde

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2016
Battery life has been outstanding on my 11 Pro Max. And this feature, remember Apple’s response is performing as designed, has not caused any problems on our 5 devices. And we have all location services enabled. Anyone who dislikes the feature can offer feedback requests on their site. I have for a few other changes I’m not crazy about in 13. However with all the actual serious bugs in 13 they have to fix I wouldn’t expect any changes until ios 14.
I not respect your opinion and please more not publish his in this topic. You have no problem, don't come in here.
Are you paid by Apple? Nooooooo. NDA has completed its action, will reveal a terrible secret!

It's starting to spread around in the media, on news-sites, tech-sites and of course on twitter. To quote one site which brings it excatly onto the point:

However, the way iOS’s location and privacy settings are set up, it’s easy to assume a user has complete control over all location data access. But the Apple engineer’s answer seems to imply there are location services that Apple doesn’t advertise—and that it doesn’t give users control over.
[automerge]1575474910[/automerge]

@papbot I value your opinion and this board is free speach for all of the users; but is it possible for you to stop pointing out that all of your 5 devices are working like a charm, you've location services activated and stop pointing out that we can use the Feedback form? I've read that now very often from you in this thread. It's okay to have an opinion and to post it, but please respect that we do have a problem with that. Several Users have a problem with this bug or feature or whatever this is now. We all know (and sent) feedback to Apple already. And we are concerned about this, doesn't matter what it is.
I completely agree with you. We continue to send bug reports to Apple every day.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
And we should all continue to report issues we believe we are having. 13 is full of them still but has gotten better. In Apple’s hierarchy of things to fix I’m not sure where this falls. I also wonder whether it’s always functioned this way but something in 13 now reveals the arrow when previously it would not be seen. It’s also possible they could just change that behavior to not trigger the arrow but the function, whatever it is, remains the same. Either way I’m still pissed at the issues I’m currently having and am losing hope that they will be resolved, at least in this current ios.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

kmjo30

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2017
New Orleans, La
Turning off location for weather did it for me. No more location arrow once you turn it off. Until fixed it is what it is. Hope this helps.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
From that article :
B9C08BCA-7367-42BA-9FFB-D169631BA04C.jpeg

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Well at least you know it’s not a bug. They designed it to operate this way. The toggle to shut down location services totally would be kinda drastic. What happens when you use gps or set a location based reminder or use Find My, or a weather app. Seems like you either use these features, accept the arrow or give them up entirely and cripple your phone.
Seems like you still don’t know the issue or don’t want to know, we are not talking about toggle of entire location service, Apple already provide that.
Apple admitted there is a bug in u1 chip which collect your location and apples doesn’t provide toggle for that to turn that off like other system service ie compass, time zone etc.

So in future update Apple will provide toggle to turn that off, not everyone like you enable all system service and some people prefer to know which system service is using the location.

Reactions: Jpnl

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
As all these articles have stated it is expected behavior not a bug. This article states the future toggle would totally disable location services. If correct that is pretty drastic. You may not want all location services turned on as I do but do you want them all off all the time?
D5638199-101E-4A3E-A2A5-DE4E04075FA5.jpeg

Reactions: DaPhox

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
As all these articles have stated it is expected behavior not a bug. This article states the future toggle would totally disable location services. If correct that is pretty drastic. You may not want all location services turned on as I do but do you want them all off all the time?
View attachment 880944
Note really
"In the future, Apple plans to provide a dedicated toggle that will turn off the ultra wideband technology and thus disallow the background location tracking that's currently going on."

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
And the other article says something different. It says, as shown, total blocking of location services. However this is all speculation, no one here or in those publications knows what Apple will actually provide. If it is a toggle just to shut down that chip then it would only be provided to iPhone 11 users. But looking through these threads it seems others have been complaining not just 11 users.

I am curious, if it does just shut down that chip will most of you use it or will just knowing that it is the source of what you’re seeing be enough? Just curious. If it shuts down location services entirely I can’t see many wanting to do that.

Ninflu

macrumors regular
Keed us informed!

I don't think they will change anything in this beta; it was just too short between the media attention and the release. I assume maybe in some of the next beta's. But hey, it's good they released a statement and promising a switch now- anyway, it's a communication "desaster" for their marketing team.

If Ultra-Wideband is not allowed due to location (whatever this means, i've never heard before that this is maybe not allowed somewhere), I assume they'll place a switch just to switch this chip off. And honestly, we've lived without it so far and still using "Find my iPhone", "Tile" or any other Trackers without this Chip.

Anyway, Im curious where Ultra-Wideband won't be allowed and what would be the reasons for it.

spunde

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2016
I don't think they will change anything in this beta; it was just too short between the media attention and the release. I assume maybe in some of the next beta's. But hey, it's good they released a statement and promising a switch now- anyway, it's a communication "desaster" for their marketing team.

If Ultra-Wideband is not allowed due to location (whatever this means, i've never heard before that this is maybe not allowed somewhere), I assume they'll place a switch just to switch this chip off. And honestly, we've lived without it so far and still using "Find my iPhone", "Tile" or any other Trackers without this Chip.

Anyway, Im curious where Ultra-Wideband won't be allowed and what would be the reasons for it.
Ultra-Wideband is blocked in Russia and CIS countries. The decree "on Communication" says that these frequencies used by U1 are prohibited.

Reactions: Ninflu

spunde

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2016
Up the theme! Let's send bug reports!
Silence again. Apple apparently doesn't want to fix this / add toggle to disable UWB (U1).

Reactions: Jpnl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.