Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ninflu

macrumors regular
I really do not know what to do next. Even if you turn off wlan completely the arrow does not feel so often. I have now tried on 6 iPhone 11 per devices to reproduce the error. No device had this phenomenon, but they all ran in the demo and at 13.0. I really do not know if it is now a tightly anchored software error from 13.1 or a hardware error has to do with the u1 chip.
I just want to know why is located and who locates.

Thank you for the great explaination, may i suggest you read the thread, because there are already some answers in it, even one member had contact with an Apple Dev. Right now we can't do anything and just need to wait if this is a bug or a feature. Introducing iOS 13.1 they've addressed a new chip in iPhone 11, 11Pro, 11Pro Max which seems to be the issue. But others mentioning those errors as well and not owning auch a device.

So basically we don't know why this happens and when this will be adressed by Apple. Only thing you can do is use the Feedback App and provide some Feedback.

Reactions: spunde

Ninflu

macrumors regular
iOS 13.2.3 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone. This update:
Fixes an issue where system search and search within Mail, Files, and Notes might not work
Addresses an issue where photos, links, and other attachments might not display in the Messages details view
Fixes an issue that could prevent apps from downloading content in the background
Resolves issues that may prevent Mail from fetching new messages, and fail to include and quote original message content in Exchange accounts

The issue won't be solved with iOS 13.2.3. It's still in iOS 13.3 Beta 2- so i assume no chance it will be solved in an earlier version of iOS.

ang99

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
I have the same issue on my iPhone 11 Pro here in Italy; at Apple Store they have no idea how to solve it.
I updated to 13.2.2 and it’s still there.
Apparently doesn’t affect the battery but would be nice to know why the phone connects so often.
I hope the next iOs update will stop this

spunde

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2016
I have the same issue on my iPhone 11 Pro here in Italy; at Apple Store they have no idea how to solve it.
I updated to 13.2.2 and it’s still there.
Apparently doesn’t affect the battery but would be nice to know why the phone connects so often.
I hope the next iOs update will stop this
Update on iOS 13.2.3 and check, please

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I’m curious if any of those who may be on the beta releases have submitted a report on this. If you have has there been any feedback? I have not done so since it’s not a bug for me, and I suspect feedback will indicate operating as designed but very curious as to what others may have actually received.

jbow

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
Location arrow is on, either solid or outlined since 13.1.2-13.2.2 and now 13.2.3
HOWEVER, I went donn the list and clicked everything to either NEVER os ASK NEXT TIME. Arrow still on until I got into System Services and clicked off WIFI Networking. Arrow is now gone, both of them,
Now I have to read and see what I’ve done. I suspect I have disabled my Air Printer and cloud backup, minimum, I dont know.
In any case the arrow is gone and I checked it twice on/off.
Looked it up, heck.. I don’t need that.
I have noticed the solid arrow coming on a couple of times while looking it up and doing this edit but the outlined arrow is gone, looks like back to norbal (that’s Apple for normal).
BTW, I am on WIFI, on my home network.

Last edited:
Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Did you tick show location in status in system service? By default, it’s not activated, which the reason we didn’t ‘see’ location arrow activated.

Jpnl

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
After the update, it seems that the arrow pops up less often than before. Still have to use for a day to see if this is really the case.

I have everything turned off in systems except for find my iphone and sos services. However, still no purple arrow, while the solid black one still shows up from time to time.

Last edited:

Jpnl

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
After the update, it seems that the arrow pops up less often than before. Still have to use for a day to see if this is really the case.

I have everything turned off in systems except for find my iphone and sos services. However, still no purple arrow, while the solid black one still shows up from time to time.

After using it some more, there are no changes. Arrow pops up just as often as before... :(

spunde

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2016
Together, we should send complaints to Apple feedback. Many times. From different accounts and devices. They have a duty to fix this problem.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
What makes me angry is no one knows why this arrow is popping up so often, what is activating this arrow and why they don't fix this bug so EVIDENT!
Everyone is assuming this is a bug when it could be the way it is now. Apple has so many items depending on location including the new Find My app where it can locate a device even when its offline. Not sure why everyone is off the chain worried about the arrow popping up. Does not seem to affect anything. If it does then what?

Jpnl

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
Everyone is assuming this is a bug when it could be the way it is now. Apple has so many items depending on location including the new Find My app where it can locate a device even when its offline. Not sure why everyone is off the chain worried about the arrow popping up. Does not seem to affect anything. If it does then what?

At least we should be able to see what is using the location. This has always been the case previously. Everytime the location was shared, you could see the purple arrow next to an app. Now the location is shared but we do not know by what app. Even if permission for all apps and system services is turned off.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil

I just wanted to know what my GPS is accessing and I wanted to have the option to disable it. They said to be the U1 chip being accessed, and I wanted to have the option to disable it since the system doesn't show which app it is using.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
I just wanted to know what my GPS is accessing and I wanted to have the option to disable it. They said to be the U1 chip being accessed, and I wanted to have the option to disable it since the system doesn't show which app it is using.

It is NOT the U1....my Mini 5 has been doing same thing since 13.2, and my SE started doing it on some version of iOS12. Neither has the U1.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
It is NOT the U1....my Mini 5 has been doing same thing since 13.2, and my SE started doing it on some version of iOS12. Neither has the U1.
I agree. I don’t know why that chip was first mentioned in these discussions. The location services arrow has been exactly the same on our 5 devices only one of which,11 Pro Max, has that. There’s no bug for us, our arrow is on permanently based on our settings and all 5 devices behave similarly. I can’t even say that anything has changed since ios 12 because we never paid attention and I wouldn’t have paid attention now except for these threads.

Ninflu

macrumors regular

The U1 Chip was mentioned by an Apple Engineer in this Thread. So it could be possible that the U1 Chip is causing this issue on newer devices and there is another Problem on other devices.
[automerge]1574272681[/automerge]
I’m curious if any of those who may be on the beta releases have submitted a report on this. If you have has there been any feedback?

I filed two reports, always sending the full system logs. Never got any feedback, my cases are still open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.