Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Hey guys,

So I just ordered the new Macbook Pro and it would be great if we shared what we're choosing for dongles. Are you buying them separately or one that contains multiple ports?

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
I did a USB-C to USB-A for my mouse and other miscellaneous uses.

I also did a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 for my Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter (I hope it works like that) at my desk. If that's not possible with that adapter, can someone chime in?

I did not do the multi port adapter since it can only charge with 60W and my MacBook Pro is 15" and requires the 87W

Reactions: bethpapa74

tylerwatt12

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Hey guys,

So I just ordered the new Macbook Pro and it would be great if we shared what we're choosing for dongles. Are you buying them separately or one that contains multiple ports?

When I got my Nexus 6P I also got this USB C to USB A female adapter
I also have this Anker USB 3 hub. Now I haven't tried these two together, but I would assume they work fine.

for video I'm gonna grab this, it seems like it works with the Macbook, so it should also work with the Pro.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SSQV80/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered that hub as I just need my old USB connections for now until I eventually get USB-C wires. I think I will just replace my existing mini thunderbolt to HDMI cable to a USB-C one. I think it's pretty nice :D
I have that same one in my wishlist.

Plan on buying the 15" MBP and use it to replace my near death 27" iMac, using an external 27" 4K monitor so a hub of some sort is at the top of my list.

Also have this one in my list so I can just plug in 1 cord when i'm home. Still looking at my options though since I probably won't be buying the MBP for a few more weeks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HNIX5F...UTF8&colid=27MJBJAWDKG3O&coliid=I23GW2CMYU7OP

I was really interested in the Xenboxx from Zendock... but I think Apple killed that idea with the new case design. oh well.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Are all dongles the same? I've heard if they are crappy quality they can fry your laptop. Not good...

Baldrake

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Great White North
I also did a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 for my Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter (I hope it works like that) at my desk. If that's not possible with that adapter, can someone chime in?
I was wondering about that too. My monitor uses DVI as well - yes, it's an antique, but it works. But TB3->TB2 is an expensive dongle! I hate to pay that!

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
http://www.bourgedesign.com/pre-order

Arc-Hub-2.jpg

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Bob,

That is nice, however extremely large and extremely expensive.

However, no doubt, it looks like a quality device.

I would love something slim that just docks into the side of the MacBook Pro.

I know Amazon sells such devices, but they don't get rave reviews.

Reactions: udontno

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
I was wondering about that too. My monitor uses DVI as well - yes, it's an antique, but it works. But TB3->TB2 is an expensive dongle! I hate to pay that!

Just wanted to pop back. According to https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207266, I believe the setup will work. And yeah, it is more expensive than I would like too :( but I decided on this approach since I can use it for other purposes as well on the go (Thunderbolt Ethernet, etc.) At least that's how I'm justifying it :D

I'm a little curious to see how it'll look. A little adapter crazy, but hey... it works.

Reactions: bennyf and Baldrake

biolan

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2016

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007

happypeople

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
Hey everyone,

I have been eyeing the Griffin BreakSafe Magnetic USB-C Power Cable as I am disappointed with the removal of MagSafe.

My question is that I have ordered the 15" Macbook Pro which seems to use 87W Power and the Griffin Cable is rated for 60W which would be perfect for the 13". Would I be able to use the Griffin Cable with my new 15" and just charge at a slower rate, or would that also require a new power brick.

Product Link:
https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

Thank you in advanced

Edit: (I hope this belongs in this thread, it seemed appropriate)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You only need to worry about having 85w going in if your hitting the gpu under normal workloads it'll charge just fine.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I've bought the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter, and already have a spare USB A to USB C which I was given by a family member.

Ideally I need an Ethernet one, too. I'm toying with either buying the standalone Belkin adapter, or going with some kind of hub, but the latter seems tricky to find. Minix and Anker both do one, but I know someone who owned both and the USB C connector to the laptop was very loose on both. OWC and Caldigit do ones with probably better build quality, but are very expensive and require mains power. Not really sure if there are any other alternatives: all I really want is a well-built hub with Ethernet, USB A, and maybe passthrough charging, but that's less of an issue on the MBP than it is on the rMB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.