Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
The MacBook Pro's Thunderbolt 3 ports don't support DisplayPort 1.4 (need to wait for Mac's with Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controllers) so I don't think you can get HDR from the MacBook Pro with the club3d adapter unless you use an eGPU.

The HDR adapter supports up to 16bpc. I suppose it uses the HDR10 feature of DisplayPort 1.4 to produce a HDR signal for HDMI2.0a or HDMI2.0b.

I guess the adapter should work fine for non-HDR HDMI 2.0 stuff.

What is 16bpc? Do you think MBP 2018 will have Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controlllers?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
What is 16bpc?
bpc = bits per component
For RGB, you usually have 8bpc for each of the red, green, and blue components.

5bpc = 15 bit color = thousands of colors (32,768 colors)
5bits for red and blue, 6 bits for green = 16 bit color = thousands of colors (65,536 colors)
8bpc = 24 bit color = millions of colors (16,777,216 colors)
10bpc = 30 bit color = billions of colors (1,073,741,824 colors)
12bpc = 36 bit color = billions of colors (68,719,476,736 colors)
14bpc = 42 bit color = trillions of colors (4,398,046,511,104 colors)
16bpc = 48 bit color = trillions of colors (281,474,976,710,656 colors)

For Y'CbCr the components are the luma component, and the blue-difference and red-difference chroma components. Chroma subsampling might be used (instead of 4:4:4, use 4:2:2 or 4:2:0) to reduce bandwidth - this means that while every pixel can have a different Y', only every 2nd pixel and/or every 2nd line can have different chroma (CbCr).

Do you think MBP 2018 will have Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controlllers?
Maybe. Maybe the new Mac Pro. Maybe the new Apple Thunderbolt display to go with the new Mac Pro. Maybe the new Thunderbolt display will support the new USB-C input feature of Titan Ridge to also support computers that don't have Thunderbolt.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
bpc = bits per component
For RGB, you usually have 8bpc for each of the red, green, and blue components.

5bpc = 15 bit color = thousands of colors (32,768 colors)
5bits for red and blue, 6 bits for green = 16 bit color = thousands of colors (65,536 colors)
8bpc = 24 bit color = millions of colors (16,777,216 colors)
10bpc = 30 bit color = billions of colors (1,073,741,824 colors)
12bpc = 36 bit color = billions of colors (68,719,476,736 colors)
14bpc = 42 bit color = trillions of colors (4,398,046,511,104 colors)
16bpc = 48 bit color = trillions of colors (281,474,976,710,656 colors)

For Y'CbCr the components are the luma component, and the blue-difference and red-difference chroma components. Chroma subsampling might be used (instead of 4:4:4, use 4:2:2 or 4:2:0) to reduce bandwidth - this means that while every pixel can have a different Y', only every 2nd pixel and/or every 2nd line can have different chroma (CbCr).

Maybe. Maybe the new Mac Pro. Maybe the new Apple Thunderbolt display to go with the new Mac Pro. Maybe the new Thunderbolt display will support the new USB-C input feature of Titan Ridge to also support computers that don't have Thunderbolt.

I need Chroma 4:4:4 to read sharp and clear text.
Can human eyes detect the difference between even 12bpc and 16bpc? I don't think so. So, what is good about having 16bpc? I am not sure but I think Startech the company mentioned that my Sony TV is 10 bits and even so, human eyes cannot detect noticeable difference between 10 bits and 12 bits.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I need Chroma 4:4:4 to read sharp and clear text.
The specs mention that 4:4:4 is possible at 4K 60Hz at 8bpc. It's unclear if they mean 3840 or 4096. They may have different bandwidth requirements. Maybe you could get 10bpc using 3840x2160 but only 8bpc using 4096x2160? Actually no, 3840x2160 60Hz 10bpc is more than HDMI 2.0's 14.4Gbps limit, even with zero length blanking periods.

I believe The club3d HDR adapter is using a MegaChips MCDP2900 as club3d appears to have copied all the same specs (I have no idea what a "dual pixel path" is and probably neither does whoever copy and pasted that in the club3d product page). The specs mention a feature where "HDR with deep color up to 12bpc at 4K 60Hz is supported through the conversion of RGB/YCbCr 4:4:4 over DP link to YCbCr 4:2:0 on the HDMI™ output with a horizontal expansion to CEA timings". It is unclear under which conditions this conversion process occurs. Knowing this is necessary if you want to be sure that you're using 4:4:4.

I don't think a full description of the MCDP2900 is publicly available - only a brief data sheet can be downloaded.

So, what is good about having 16bpc?
Not much, except when you choose 16bpc from the source, then something will happen at the output, instead of nothing.

I am not sure but I think Startech the company mentioned that my Sony TV is 10 bits
I can't find Sony documentation mentioning the 10 bit value for the panel. There's a review proving it's more than 8 bit (it's probably 10 bit) at https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

Can human eyes detect the difference between even 12bpc and 16bpc? I don't think so. ... human eyes cannot detect noticeable difference between 10 bits and 12 bits.
I agree. I made a script to create a test pattern at
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...apple-gpus/10bit-hidpi-in-10-13-1-is-orange-/
Maybe the human eye could better see the difference between two 10bpc colors that differ only by 1 if an object of a color is moving in a background of the other color?

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I believe The club3d HDR adapter is using a MegaChips MCDP2900 as club3d appears to have copied all the same specs (I have no idea what a "dual pixel path" is and probably neither does whoever copy and pasted that in the club3d product page). The specs mention a feature where "HDR with deep color up to 12bpc at 4K 60Hz is supported through the conversion of RGB/YCbCr 4:4:4 over DP link to YCbCr 4:2:0 on the HDMI™ output with a horizontal expansion to CEA timings". It is unclear under which conditions this conversion process occurs. Knowing this is necessary if you want to be sure that you're using 4:4:4.

I suppose you mean: https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2442/displayport_1.4_to_hdmi_2.0b_hdr/

In my case, is the club3d HDR adapter better than those three adapters (startech, anker, caldigit) I listed in Thread #882?
Has anybody used club3d's products? Are they professional quality? When I heard of the name for the first time, it just sounded like a company for fun.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I suppose you mean: https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2442/displayport_1.4_to_hdmi_2.0b_hdr/

In my case, is the club3d HDR adapter better than those three adapters (startech, anker, caldigit) I listed in Thread #882?
Has anybody used club3d's products? Are they professional quality? When I heard of the name for the first time, it just sounded like a company for fun.
Only an HDR adapter can do HDR. If you don't want HDR then any of the other adapters should work. Like I said before, you can't get HDR with your MacBook Pro without an eGPU. There may be other HDR adapters using the MCDP2900 that you can find. club3d has a good website, forums, and support; have a look around. I've bought there CAC-1070 - it's a good quality adapter. BTW, the CAC-1070 uses the Parade PS176 which does support HDMI2.0a (HDR) but a firmware update would be needed (doesn't exist) to get it working correctly (probably won't exist as they've moved on to the MCDP2900 based adapter for HDR needs).

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Only an HDR adapter can do HDR. If you don't want HDR then any of the other adapters should work. Like I said before, you can't get HDR with your MacBook Pro without an eGPU. There may be other HDR adapters using the MCDP2900 that you can find. club3d has a good website, forums, and support; have a look around. I've bought there CAC-1070 - it's a good quality adapter. BTW, the CAC-1070 uses the Parade PS176 which does support HDMI2.0a (HDR) but a firmware update would be needed (doesn't exist) to get it working correctly (probably won't exist as they've moved on to the MCDP2900 based adapter for HDR needs).

Thanks. How do you like your eGPU system? Is it fully compatible with Ubuntu Linux, Windows 10 and Mac OS?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks. How do you like your eGPU system? Is it fully compatible with Ubuntu Linux, Windows 10 and Mac OS?
I haven't tried eGPU before so I don't know how it will work. I have a Mac Pro 2008, a couple hackintoshes, and a MacBook Pro 2015. I could try adding an eGPU to the hackintosh or MacBook Pro (I have a Sonnet Echo Express III-D (Thunderbolt 3) which should be good enough - see eGPU.io website). It probably won't support hot plug but should work if I have it connected before startup.

El_JeFe

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2018
SoCal
Anybody got anything new since the new mbp came out? Last post here was in May and the new pro came out in july? I just picked one up yesterday and LOVE it, came from a Lenovo windows laptop. Now i need to get caught up with the USB C/ thunderbolt 3 crowd. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a logitech Anywhere MX mouse that I like but that uses a USB A which obviously wont work anymore without some sort of dongle. ~ordered a 2 pack of usb C to A for $10 on amazon to help me get by. Also ordered the sandisk dual USB (has both usb A and C) which I thought was pretty cool.

But I have an HDMI that I use to connect to my TV, other usb flash drives that are now currently unusable... :(

Im hoping that there are some quality dongles (that dont bottleneck) that I havent found that arent $50-$120 that maybe somebody could lead me to? thanks in advance!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Anybody got anything new since the new mbp came out? Last post here was in May and the new pro came out in july? I just picked one up yesterday and LOVE it, came from a Lenovo windows laptop. Now i need to get caught up with the USB C/ thunderbolt 3 crowd. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a logitech Anywhere MX mouse that I like but that uses a USB A which obviously wont work anymore without some sort of dongle. ~ordered a 2 pack of usb C to A for $10 on amazon to help me get by. Also ordered the sandisk dual USB (has both usb A and C) which I thought was pretty cool.

But I have an HDMI that I use to connect to my TV, other usb flash drives that are now currently unusable... :(

Im hoping that there are some quality dongles (that dont bottleneck) that I havent found that arent $50-$120 that maybe somebody could lead me to? thanks in advance!

It's $60, but I still like Dell's the best: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...rnet-usb-30-da200/apd/470-abqn/pc-accessories. Covers all the basics –– HDMI, Ethernet, USB A, VGA –– and is still quite compact. Perfect for travel –– I love how the short flat rubber cable tucks underneath it. It's all I need (besides my Caldigit TB3 dock.)

These are my favorite reversibles because they are so tiny: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217802-REG/sony_usm16ca1_s_16gb_usb_type_c_type.html

larmende

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
Does anyone know a good dongle/hub which transfers from USB C back to Thunderbolt 2?
I have all my time machine backup on a LaCie external drive and need that when building the new system, and Apple seems to be wanting GBP 50 for just an adapter there. And you can get hubs with lots of connections, just not TB2.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Does anyone know a good dongle/hub which transfers from USB C back to Thunderbolt 2?
I have all my time machine backup on a LaCie external drive and need that when building the new system, and Apple seems to be wanting GBP 50 for just an adapter there. And you can get hubs with lots of connections, just not TB2.
It's not "USB-C", it's Thunderbolt 3. And no, Apple's adapter is the one to buy. I have three of them.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I need to get an Ethernet cable and adapter for my MacBook, and I feel like I’ve seen a cable with an Ethernet connection on one side and a USB connector on the other.

What’s the consensus around here? One cable with each end, or a regular cable with an adapter dongle?

kajukenbo

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2018
Anker sells a 3 port USB and Ethernet adapter and it generally works pretty well. I’d stay away from any of their USC-C adapters with power pass through.

mrrobotoplus

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Hi McRumorers!

Just receaved the Ugreen HUB USB-C 6 in 1 for my new Macbook Pro 2020. I have a question: The hub is working fine but I've noticed that when is plugged to the Mac but nothing is plugged to the HUB, it gets warm, not hot, just warm. This makes me think that it does consume energy while is not required. Is this a normal behavior?

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
New York
' I'm upgrading my 2014 mini to a 2018 so, I’ll lose a bunch of usb-3 ports and tb2. Should I get dongles to connect my usb-3 peripherals to the usb-c on the new mini, or is it better to just get new cables?thanks in advance

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
' I'm upgrading my 2014 mini to a 2018 so, I’ll lose a bunch of usb-3 ports and tb2. Should I get dongles to connect my usb-3 peripherals to the usb-c on the new mini, or is it better to just get new cables?thanks in advance
Dongles will work fine, probably cost less, take less space when storing them, maybe save wear on the cable/connectors if they are of the flexible kind,,,. But a replacement cable might look nicer.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Any particular brands? Apple's prices seem fairly high, but perhaps it's worth it?
Any generic USB-C (male) to USB-A (female) adapter from Amazon or wherever should work. I like the flexible adapters better (up to 6 inch cable).

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
New York
So, Apple's TB2 to TB3 adapter is $44. Most of the TB2/mini displayport to TB3/USBC adapters on Amazon are about $12 - $15. Is there a functionality difference? For example, I know the TB2 looks like the minidisplayport, but does something billed as a minidisplayport dongle have the same functionality as something billed as a TB2 dongle?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
So, Apple's TB2 to TB3 adapter is $44. Most of the TB2/mini displayport to TB3/USBC adapters on Amazon are about $12 - $15. Is there a functionality difference? For example, I know the TB2 looks like the minidisplayport, but does something billed as a minidisplayport dongle have the same functionality as something billed as a TB2 dongle?
Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter is only for connecting Thunderbolt devices. You need it only if you are connecting a Thunderbolt device. It cannot be used to connect a Mini DisplayPort device unless there is a Thunderbolt device between the Mini DisplayPort device and the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

If you want to connect a DisplayPort device, then you need a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter or USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter. They are less expensive because they do not rely on Thunderbolt (the Thunderbolt ports support Thunderbolt, but they can also do normal USB and DisplayPort with appropriate adapters or for USB-C devices with a normal USB-C cable).

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
New York
Got it. Thank you.
So, for my monitor, i need USB-C to minidisplayport.
For my Thunderbolt 2 external drive, I need TB2 to TB3?
I see a lot of cables on Amazon saying they're USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 compatible for Macbook Pro -- does that mean the cable functions for both?

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Got it. Thank you.
So, for my monitor, i need USB-C to minidisplayport.
For my Thunderbolt 2 external drive, I need TB2 to TB3?
You did not say what Thunderbolt 2 external drive or Mini DisplayPort display you have but I believe you are correct.

G-Nome

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
Hey - I'm thinking of upgraging my late 2013 MBP to a brand new machine. I rely on a brilliant thunderbolt 2 audio interface - but I can't find ANY dongles to connect my TB2 interface to a TB3 port on a new mac. Any ideas? All I can find is the other way round - TB3 to TB2.

Apologies if this is already in the thread - its like 5 years long now so I thought I'd just ask the question...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.