Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
I wanted to try the small size, so I swapped them with the mediums. I put the mediums in the paper case where the smalls came from. The four possitions are all the same size.

Then I needed to swap them back because the smalls were too small. I'm glad I realized what went wrong; a paper tab that holds it came undone and got stuck inside the Airpod. I only noticed it because I couldn't get the small back into the paper case.

I couldn't get it out, and I came very close to pushing it out from the other side when I discovered there's a little screen in there to keep gunk out of the speaker. Had I pushed it out, I would've broken that sreen. So I used a little pin to remove the tab. I suggest you not re-use the paper case as this is likely to happen. I wonder how many will use their Airpods with a tab in there and not know it.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 2,818
  • IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 771
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 7.48.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 7.48.24 PM.png
    640.4 KB · Views: 656

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I recall one review on YouTube mentioning this. Seems like very poor packing of the tips. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are people not happy with the sound due to this, which would be a real shame.

maccafromla

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
This happened with two of my pods. Well done for highlighting it. I only realised because I couldn’t get them to click in.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Yep, happened to me with one of the large tips. I actually did puncture the membrane poking it out as I didn't know at the time it was there.
Had two online chats with Apple as I don't have a local store.

The first told me I had to go to a store and buy replacements and that it would be deemed user damage.
The second I had yesterday morning. The adviser firstly said they would send a replacement set and place a charge on hold on my card until they received the damaged one.
I said I was happy to just pay for replacement and was told I had to buy the complete set for £17.04, which I did.

Seems different to a lot of others experience getting spare tips. Some go in store & got them free, others have paid around £4 for a pair in one size also in store.

farfromovin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
That’s funny! I guess I’ve been lucky with mine, taken all of them out a couple times without issue.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Replacement tips arrived today......and they are for a different headset. ?

Got passed from an online chat to a call, then passed around to different departments before the phone going dead.
Calling them back and have had to go through the issue again and passed around departments and now on hold waiting for the senior/last stop department.

That's three online chats and so far two calls just to get a replacement tip. ?

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
So, the mess of the wrong tips sorted. Finally got transferred to somebody who could actually do something. Can do what I want with the wrong tips (bin) and will be refunded.

Unfortunately the only way to get a replacement in the UK is to visit a store.

Will just have to wait I guess.
I can't tell if the hole is effecting the sound so am still using it, in just a bit worried about moisture/ear debris getting through.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
So, the mess of the wrong tips sorted. Finally got transferred to somebody who could actually do something. Can do what I want with the wrong tips (bin) and will be refunded.

Unfortunately the only way to get a replacement in the UK is to visit a store.

Will just have to wait I guess.
I can't tell if the hole is effecting the sound so am still using it, in just a bit worried about moisture/ear debris getting through.

It should be a screen that air can pass through but not wax, etc. It shouldn't be a membrane... I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Really, though, a missing or skewed or punctured screen will have no ill effects on the function of the tip... it's just that some crud can pass through to the speaker surface.. if it's skewed, use a pin to straighten it out... if missing, I'd want to replace it within a month to keep the speaker clean, which brings up another point -

Once these screens get clogged with crud, will we be able to clean it out or will we be forced to buy new tips periodically just to get ones that are not obstructed?????? If we have to buy new tips periodically, I'm going to be ticked off.

I wonder if compressed air coming through the long staw-thingy can blast the crud out...

But first, soak them in ear wax dissolving solution... :D Oh, man, this post getting bizarre.

There are ear drops we can use to dissolve wax... ??? use that first... then have a beer and wait... ?... then blow some compressed air through it from the inside out... ?? , then have another beer as you reinstall them and listen to some Zeppelin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pug72

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
I put a wanted ad on another forum in the hope I could buy someone's spare large tips and had a fantastic fellow offer to send me one for free!

He mentioned karma which I believe to be true as I've sent off a number of items, some of modest value, free to fellow members on various forums so this is my reward. :)

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
I put a wanted ad on another forum in the hope I could buy someone's spare large tips and had a fantastic fellow offer to send me one for free!

He mentioned karma which I believe to be true as I've sent off a number of items, some of modest value, free to fellow members on various forums so this is my reward. :)

Cool.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I did the same before i returned them, figured it out though as one went half the volume.

adamk77

Suspended
Jan 6, 2008
The same thing happened to me today. I took a sharp knife and was able to get it out.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
wait.. £4 for a pair of tips?
that's a bit over the top. I thought it was £4 for a set of 3!

Avarize

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
WOW! I was about to process a return online today because they had literally NO volume at all, I take them both out as I have to use the large tips and both of them have the paper blocking them. Thank you so much, they are now almost too loud.

Reactions: Ralfi

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
WOW! I was about to process a return online today because they had literally NO volume at all, I take them both out as I have to use the large tips and both of them have the paper blocking them. Thank you so much, they are now almost too loud.

How many people is this happening to and they simply don't know the cause? It is ridiculous that Apple's own system for storing these can lead to this problem so easily. I bet there are lots of cases where volume is out of balance, it fails fit test, ANC doesn't quite work, etc, all because of a stupid hanging chad stuck inside, a white thing difficult to see against a white bud.

I have to return mine because my case doesn't close 100% so in my pocket it can open a bit more and run the battery down.

It's bad enough that Airpods Pro have to be thrown in the garbage once the battery health is reduced to - what - 80% ??

I had to buy a new battery for my iPhone with health at 83%. The Apple employee specifically said I had to or my phone would only get worse from the complaints I had - extremly fast discharge... and unexpected shutdowns. She ran a test on it but wouldn't tell me the results. She says, "your battery is old, your phone is old, you might as well buy a new phone." I bought this 6S from Apple 2 years ago as a refurb - they claim their reurbs have brand new batterires put in them.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
This happened with two of my pods. Well done for highlighting it. I only realised because I couldn’t get them to click in.

Lol it happened on the larges because I curious what the fit test would say. I didn’t notice until I put them in and noticed the right ear sounded muffled.

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
It’s because people don’t realize the tips only fit one way as they are oval shaped not circular. That’s the only reason why yours ripped off.

Reactions: Ntombi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.