Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soccerjoshj07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Is this a bug or is this supposed to happen?

I see that I have a new text, for example, on my lock screen. I unlock to go do something else. I will sometimes get the notification banner for the same text and it will ring/vibrate again. Pretty sure only happens with messaging notifications.

Didn't happen on iOS6 or on my 4S. I am on a 5S. And no I don't have repeat alerts on.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN

I see that I have a new text, for example, on my lock screen. I unlock to go do something else. I will sometimes get the notification banner for the same text and it will ring/vibrate again. Pretty sure only happens with messaging notifications.

Didn't happen on iOS6 or on my 4S. I am on a 5S. And no I don't have repeat alerts on.

In settings -> notification center -> Messages scroll down and change Repeat Alerts Off

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Do you have it set to alerts or Banners as this could be the difference? I have never experienced that issue.

soccerjoshj07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
No just stock apple everything. It happens sometimes with emails too, I'll see the email on the lock screen and then when I unlock it will show on the drop down banner.

Weird right?

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008

I'm seeing exactly the same thing. For instance I just got an AP News notification. I then unlocked my phone and got the same Notification again WITH the alert sound. Seems like a bug to me. Doesn't happen to all notifications, just random ones.

soccerjoshj07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I'm seeing exactly the same thing. For instance I just got an AP News notification. I then unlocked my phone and got the same Notification again WITH the alert sound. Seems like a bug to me. Doesn't happen to all notifications, just random ones.

Exactly

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2008
I've been experiencing this issue over the last week or so. Has anybody found a solution yet?

paul.p

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Ive recently noticed the double alerts for my messages as well. The phone will be off and ill get the first message alert and then maybe a few minutes later when I unlock the phone I get the same alert for the same message

Jigga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Ive recently noticed the double alerts for my messages as well. The phone will be off and ill get the first message alert and then maybe a few minutes later when I unlock the phone I get the same alert for the same message

Same issue here. Quite annoying.

panar

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Try turning "alert style" to "none". Leave "show in notification center" and "lock screen" in "on" setting.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I have the same issue and I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature lol. :confused:

I just got a text message a few mins before typing this. It shows up on notifications and plays a sound/vibrates as normal. As soon as I unlock the phone, I'd get the same notification again at the top banner with the vibration and sound. This is NOT the repeat alerts feature that iOS has had since a few OS versions as the alert/notification shows up when when you unlock the phone and not after the defined period for unread repeat alerts as you normally get.

The same occurs for other notifications such as Twitter and the BBC News app.

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2008
Try turning "alert style" to "none". Leave "show in notification center" and "lock screen" in "on" setting.

Though this probably would solve the issue, I still want to receive a banner notification if I am using my iPhone at the time that I receive a message. Your suggestion would not allow that.

I have the same issue and I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature lol. :confused:

Pretty sure it's a bug. It's pretty annoying.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Chiming in with a 'me too'. Haven't noticed it with Messages, but e-mail with an exchange account does this to me all the time. I've learned to deal with it.

Hope they fix this down the road..

soccerjoshj07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Doesn't happen to me on my iPad with the same setup.

Should I try restoring from backup?

Cory87

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2014
My iPod 5 gen does this too! I've taken many screenshots. Started with Instagram about a year ago, now it only happens with poorly made games, ones I've downloaded for my kids to play. I'll turn the app notifications off, and a new app will start the process. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Any update on this?

----------

Also mine don't repeat the same notification, when I get a new notification it brings with it a old one from weeks ago.

melj

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016

[doublepost=1475465947][/doublepost]Was there an answer to this question? I'm having this issue too and it's bugging me to no end!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1475465947][/doublepost]Was there an answer to this question? I'm having this issue too and it's bugging me to no end!
What version of iOS do you have?

And you are certain that you don't have repeat alerts enabled for messages?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.